Entering Bowhunting need input....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigdaddyb

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I'm currently shopping for a bow and other gear for bow hunting.

I need input from any and all on bow makes and models, features to look for, sights, releases, etc.

What are the 'best buys' on used bows?

Thanks in advance!

brianb

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I prefer caliper releases to bearing releases... easier on the string.

Fletching... feather fletching is more accurate than vinyl but is affected by moisture considerably more.

Fletching length... shorter=faster but less accurate longer=slower but more accurate

Limb savers are only worth a damn on adjustable drawlength bows

Experiment with silencers as the more you add it will be quieter but will affect speed and accuracy

Invest in a 3D target and practice from your stand as much as possible.

TowTruck

Jared
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Denham Springs
    if you have never got into it I would recomend buying a used bow first due to getting lack of intrest. I picked up my bow from louisiana sportsman's forum for 80$

7mmremmag

small time hero
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    also try finger shooting instead of using a release, I find it easier to shoot and releases can sometime fail. Bear bows are a great bow if your lookin for one. Also practice practice practice, the more you do that the better you are!

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    I'd go for a new bow at a good price. Check out popular "combo" kits at BassPro.com Then do a search for the brand and model on eBay. ie. PSE Whitetail extreme or PSE Nova, or Matthews switchback. You can sometimes pick up last season's model for $100 to $150 bucks less. As far as rest go, The Whisker Bisquit QS is the only way to go. The arrows can't fall off. I like a tru-fire caliper release. Start with a medium weight pull. Like 65 lbs. Some good carbon arrows with NAP quick spin fletchings. Sights are your own preference. If you do a lot of flat ground hunting and are good at guestimating yardages from a tree stand. A standard 3 or 4 pin sight will do you good. I personally use a Savage pendulum sight with a Tritium pin. It automatically swings and adjust yardage for you from your tree stand. You don't need a lot of arrows when you hunt. So don't grab that giant 8 arrow quiver. Qwikee makes a nice 3 arrow quiver. A silencer/ vibration dampener is a good idea for steadying your shot and making your bow more quiet. The best one I've seen lately is called a wild thing and is made by diamond archery. And get a good hardcase like a flambeau. Definitely get a target of some type and try to shoot at least 3 days a week until the opening of hunting season. Practice will truly improve your accuracy and consistency. I shoot a PSE and have shot the same bow for the last 8 years. If you have some extra change and want the Cadillac of bows... Check out the Bowtech Guardian. I think they sell them at Spillway sports on the other side of the bridge in port allen. It's an awesome bow.

bigdaddyb

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Thanks to all for the input.

I found a deal I couldn't pass up. I bought a Rytera Bullet X that a local shop had on clearance.

I comparison shot it against the Diamond Black Ice and bought it on the spot. I'll be having them 'rig it up' for me today.

I've also been reading on practice strategies and proper form. I'll be doing lots of block and 3D shooting before the season.

I've gotten great feedback thus far. Keep it coming. I'll take whatever you folks have to offer.

brianb

Zip7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2007
    I'm not up on all the new tech cause I haven't hunted for a few years and even then I use a recurve. The first thing I learned about bowhunting is all the deer appear to your right if you shoot right handed. So when you put up your stand, just rotate it 90 degrees to the right from which way you think it ought to be.

You do need to practice shooting a LOT - but it is really FAR more difficult to get a good shot opportunity than it is to make the shot itself. Learn to pay attention to the wind because if it's not in your favor... game over. You won't see anything.

bigdaddyb

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    You do need to practice shooting a LOT - but it is really FAR more difficult to get a good shot opportunity than it is to make the shot itself. Learn to pay attention to the wind because if it's not in your favor... game over. You won't see anything.

I've got that part going. I'm currently shooting 300 - 400 shots per week and loving it!

Yea. My friend and 'guide' has been warning me about the deer's nose and ability to avoid us predators.

Thanks for the input!

brianb

KEMOSABI

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Brian,glad to see you made the leap to bowhunting.its highly addictive and has a great long season.....A good quiet stand is key......A bowhunting stand w/open front helps out alot....I use a ole man[grand ole man vision] is the most comfortable and quietest stand Ive ever hunted with.Ive used it since the co. started selling them....The vision has the foot rest[makes a hell of a differance in comfort] or can be used as a gun rest if flipped up....If you need any help or have questiuons holler at me..I may be able to save you a lil time and red ass,LOL.....

Top Bottom