Entry Level Offshore Jobs??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Although my son wants to follow in my footsteps in going into law enforcement, I have successfully put an end to his dreams. The only other thing that interests him is working offshore in the GOM. He's 18 and fresh out of high school. Is there any trade school cert we could look into that would make him more marketable for the leap into the gulf? Would an entry level deckhand or roustabout (sp?) be the best route and work his way up? Any advice ya'll could provide would be much appreciated.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Try Seafarers International Union which has a training program for entry level and upgrading classes for seafarers. 504-328-7545.

PhalanX-SS

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 25, 2021
    Folsom, La
    I've had an extremely good time in the Commercial Diving Industry.

South Louisiana Community College at Young Memorial (Morgan City) offers the cert, takes about 7 months to complete, and you're practically handed a job right outside of school, at around $17/hr.

Last I heard he program was about 5k.
    If you have any questions you feel free to PM me

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Anyone wanting to get in the oilfield at a young age needs to wake the f up. Hydrocarbons aren’t going away completely but the world is changing. And the GOM oil field will be the next North Sea. Hardly any work left in the UK for oilfield guys. I’ve been out there for years. It’s not what it used to be and likely never will again.
    He has time to think and figure it out and make a smart move. Go to college or join the military in the meantime if he needs to. There’s better ways to make a living than out there with us. If I was younger I’d go back to school but it is what it is now.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Used to be the guys working the entry level positions were good guys trying to make a living. Now most of them are scum with the personality of a Baton Rouge fast food worker. So he’d be working with absolutely **** people more than likely. Tell him that.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    My son graduated with a PT degree from Lone Star College and landed a job at 19 in the in the Houston area. His first full year was mid 150k. He still has three years till he tops out. It is possible to make a good living as a young man or woman in the oil/polymer industry. It is long hours and discipline but if your willing to do it…

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    Although my son wants to follow in my footsteps in going into law enforcement, I have successfully put an end to his dreams. The only other thing that interests him is working offshore in the GOM. He's 18 and fresh out of high school. Is there any trade school cert we could look into that would make him more marketable for the leap into the gulf? Would an entry level deckhand or roustabout (sp?) be the best route and work his way up? Any advice ya'll could provide would be much appreciated.
    Any interest in college? I work for a major and did my time in the patch drilling, now I'm office based but still go out from time to time. Most big companies won't touch you unless you've had some exposure to oil field tech. Even entry level operators these days started after some junior college classes. If you want any more guidance, drop me a DM.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom