F-150 or Tundra: WINNER CHOSEN

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    I'm thinking about purchasing a new truck in the next 2 or 3 weeks. I wanted a truck with a standard tranny, but that is getting harder to find, especially on the bigger trucks. I like the Tundra and F-150. I don't need all the bells and whistles, nor do I anticipate to any heavy hauling or towing. I just want to be taller on the road, and in a very safe vehicle. Both have won IIHS' top safety picks for large trucks this year.

I plan on test driving them this weekend, even though I've driven tons of them before. What's your take on the two? If you own one of them, how do you like it over the long-term?

Oh, and please don't say get a Dodge. That name is not spoken in this household, lol.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Tundra all the way.

I have a 2001 and my father-in-law previously had a 2001 on his job.
    I have over 160k, he had over 150k when they traded it in. He only had routine maintenance and the only repair I have done on mine is replace the transmission at 150k due to me pulling an overweight load in OD.(I blame me more than the truck)

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    Currently own a 2010 extended cab f-150. xlt model and my wife has taken ownership of it. Gets great gas mileage for her, not for me. Rides like a caddy but you know it's a truck, It is far quieter than a truck should be inside. Truck currently has about 24k on it and doesn't have a single rattle or shake in it. We love ours.

Then there is this, although not relevant it is neat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNjgoNe_Vw

Last edited:

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Haha, that is neat. There was hardly anything left to it.

The extended cab is what I am interested in. And a quiet interior is very appealing to me, since I can barely hear myself think in my car.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I chose the F150 over the Tundra after driving both.
    I don't know which gets better gas mileage but my F-150 got about 21-22 on my last trip to Stone Mountain Georgia.
    At the time I got the Ford, I had a Dodge 1500 Big Horn for my State vehicle so I can honestly say the Dodge sucks by comparison the the F-150 and the Tundra!
    The Tundra front clip is shorter than any other truck I have compared it to so the engine sits further back under the cowl.
    Not a big thing unless you like to do your own work.

jetmech1983

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Watson, la
    Main reason we bought the truck was how it has been reported they react in some pretty bad wrecks. Most of the time they walk away, and the trucks still move somehow. I feel my wife is very safe in it, much more so than my truck or her tacoma she had before.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    I do my own work, so I will have to take that into consideration.

IIRC, the F-150 is 17/23 and the Tundra 15/20. From the quotes I'm getting, the F-150 is the cheaper option. I've never owned an American car, as I've been driving a Toyota for 6 years now. The only thing I'm hesitant about is the 2 star frontal crash rating for the passenger in the F-150. Seeing as my GF is almost always with me when we head out, I'm not cool with 2 stars, even if NHTSA got stricter in their tests.

ETA: I love the Tacoma. It fits me like a glove. But it's roof strength tests in rollovers is terrible.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I love my 2010 F-150. The Sync system is really fantastic. I get in my truck and the moment I crank it, it's playing my playlist straight off my iphone. My one and only complaint is the 6-7 quarts of full synthetic it needs for an oil change, but it only needs an oil change every 7k miles.

And I don't know about the extra-cab version, but I swear the backseat in my 4 door version has more leg room than the front. At 6'-4", I can sit comfortably in the backseat for a trip to Houston.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    If cost was not a issue I would get the tundra but then better deal cost wise for what you actually get I think is the f 150.

Last edited:

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Cost really isn't an issue. Of course I'd like to save money, but if I found the Tundra more to my liking, I have no problem paying the extra cash for it.

It seems we have some very happy owners on both sides.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Toyota hasn't convinced me that they make a better big truck than the Big 3. The newest ones haven't been around long enough to change that yet. You just don't see them working like the others are.

I like the Chevys better than the Fords, but the Fords are fine.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    My household has a F-150, F-250, Ford Explorer, and Ford Escape. (and one dodge but he has to park in the back). For the money, you can't get a better truck than the F-150. There's a reason why it's the best selling truck in America.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    My household has a F-150, F-250, Ford Explorer, and Ford Escape. (and one dodge but he has to park in the back). For the money, you can't get a better truck than the F-150. There's a reason why it's the best selling truck in America.
    Yep because it's the cheapest.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    I've always thought I was a Chevy guy. While I like the look of the Chevy trucks, I like the Fords better. And I'm no Ford guy either.

But, it all goes down to safety. The Chevy didn't score so hot in the rollover department.

I know I'm wrapped up in the safety aspect. Now living in the burbs, I drive a lot more than I used to, and I just want the safest truck on the market.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    Of the 2 choices you are debating now, I think I would go with the F-150 with the ecoboost engine. If you aren't planning on towing anything heavy, I think it would be the way to go because of gas mileage.
    The reason I say that is because I am driving a Titan right now. It does everything I want it to do and has plenty of power, but the fuel mileage isn't very good. The new F-150's have a very nice interior and the ecoboost has some spunk to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    knguyen
    Top Bottom