Fal Build Party!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dockbox

Lead Farmer
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    New Orleans
    Now that we have had time to gather all out compliance parts, its time to put these Bitches together!!! Who's got the tools? Who wants to host?

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I have the tools but can't host, a good, solid, decent, size vice and some space to walk around is the only thing required. I have barrel vice, Rec. wrench, Go, No-Go gauges, locking shoulder sizeing rods, and barrel aligning rods. I would travel within a hour drive from Mandeville, soooo no excuses now..........Keep in mind it is Illegal to assemble a kit that is not 922r compliant, you must have 7 Us parts to assemble a kit legally.

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Got a wrench, barrell vise, press, headspacing guages/pins, timing rods. But like above will not host. However will travel within an hour of BR to assist in builds, schedule permitting.
    Only thing I can add is if anyone has a wadmans barrell shaver in case we need to shave a shoulder.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    I can host after the first of the year when I get back down here at my place in metaire. We could plan maybe the second or third weekend in january. It all depends on Mytfal's schedule as he is the instructor and the one with most of the tools.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I have hand filed two that needed it, it doesn't take much at all. The vast majority do not require fitting especially if you either chase the threads or repeatedly work the rec on and off the barrel, I believe most of the problem comes from the Parkerizing on the rec. and in the Rec. threads, and mating surface. With a really good barrel vice, rec wrench, and cheater pipe it is usually not a big deal. It is much more problematic if you take off too much, there is no going back.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I have hand filed two that needed it, it doesn't take much at all. The vast majority do not require fitting especially if you either chase the threads or repeatedly work the rec on and off the barrel, I believe most of the problem comes from the Parkerizing on the rec. and in the Rec. threads, and mating surface. With a really good barrel vice, rec wrench, and cheater pipe it is usually not a big deal. It is much more problematic if you take off too much, there is no going back.

I've tried well over a Dozen kits...

On about 9 different recievers. Both Coonan and DSA.

NONE of them got closer than 10 o'clock....

(WITH wrench and vice)

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    get it to hand time to 10:30 and your good, I use a 5' cheater bar, tried that yet?There's a reason people split the old rec stubs the factory put them on really tight. Why should yours be any different?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    get it to hand time to 10:30 and your good, I use a 5' cheater bar, tried that yet?There's a reason people split the old rec stubs the factory put them on really tight. Why should yours be any different?

You missed:

NONE of them got closer than 10 o'clock....

(WITH wrench and vice)

And yea... Tried leverage. (And 2 of us... buddy has the tools)

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I never could get that to work worth a fart. I ended up puting the barrell in a little bench lathe and shaved .003 off the barrel face. It doesnt take much.

I have heard of people marking the shoulder with a sharpie marker, then taking a triangular file with a safe face and filling away the sharpee marks.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I have heard of people marking the shoulder with a sharpie marker, then taking a triangular file with a safe face and filling away the sharpee marks.

This^ The sanding disc method while possible is EXTREMLY slow and will make you pull out your hair. The first one I did I tried the disc method, after awhile with almost NO results, I used a whetstone it took pretty long too, but I was nervous about useing a file. After that experiance I purchased a flat jewelers file that has been a godsend. Three sides of it are not a file, hence it does not remove actual barrel material, only shoulder material.

dockbox

Lead Farmer
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    New Orleans
    Just got my barrel back form being cut for my PARA build, so now its time ot get this party started!!!

1) Who is going to Host? RYAN

2) What day?

3) Who will be kind enough to commit tools/knowledge?

4) Who is bringing the beer?

Last edited:

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    Just got my barrel back form being cut for my PARA build, so now its time ot get this party started!!!

1) Who is going to Host?

2) What day?

3) Who will be kind enough to commit tools/knowledge?

4) Who is bringing the beer?

As I have said before, I can host, I just need a bench vice. I have a small work area with a bench in the garage. I also have a 10' folding table I can set up. We just need to set a date and find someone with a bench vice. MTFAL said he has the rest of the tools we should need.

I have a grill, we can grill some hamburgers and brats if anyone wants also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wagon461
    Top Bottom