Favorite "Sleeper" Handgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    What's your favorite cheapish sleeper or underrated semi handgun? The only "rule" for my list must be the sleeper semi auto handgun must be super reliable. Mabye some foreign handgun? Perhaps an off brand? How bout a model that wasnt a good seller or isnt popular any longer?

My list in no particular order are the Ruger P85/89, Original M&P, Taurus PT92 and Tokarev

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I once owned 3 Smith and Wesson Sigmas. One in .40 and two 9mm. They were just good cheap backup pistols/truck guns/hide outs that always went bang and cost around $250. I could say the same for the Ruger American 9mm or the previous security models. Cheap and reliable.
    (Throwing in a revolver anyway)
    Charter Arms 44 Bulldog. Still a great thumper.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    For me it was a stainless Ruger P90DC. Ate everything I put in it and sold it years ago with most of my collection at the time for employment issues. My favorite oddball now rare one is a Steyr GB I bought new in the early to mid 80s. Love that pistol!

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    The Beretta apx hands down imo #1 under rated gun. Easily found under $400 usually closer to $325 or so. It was one of Berettas entries for the military’s XM17 modular handgun trials. When you look at the engineering and testing that went into making it, it still blows my mind it’s sold so cheap. Built like a tank, goes bang every time even in bad conditions, and parts are actually not that hard to find for it. It’s a gun that could easily be sold for double its price but for whatever reason never really gained traction probably more than likely because of Berettas terrible marketing to the US. The apx a1 was just released which is the exact same gun but they all come optics ready and no finger groves on the grip. Options that were already available with the original model.

Comes 17+1 full size also with the option for 21+1. Mags made by mec gar. 15 + 1 compact. I think it’s biggest fault is for whatever reason the carry version is single stack 6+1 and very big for what it is. Why they didn’t go double stack for the carry version is beyond me.

Last edited:

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Yes older Ruger P Series heavy and terrible trigger but built well

For modern striker fired I agree again with Beretta APX and maybe add CZ P10 sometimes in the $400 range

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Polish P-64. Solid, old school all steel. 9x18 Mak not a powerhouse but I don't want to be shot with it, sights are difficult. Really small, never failed, reliable. $200 with a holster

J. W. Harris

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2022
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I have two nominations. A CZ P 07 duty; decent trigger and more accurate than I am. Second is a S/S P90 with prop sheet and autographed pictures tying it to the movie 'True Lies' If it's good enough for Arnold, it's good enough for me!

Last edited:

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I once had a Taurus 9mm that looked just like the Berretta M9, it was very accurate, and very reliable. That was a really good sleeper.

Oh... and only cost about $250.00 when I bought it, used, and then shot the hell out of it for a few years and then sold it for $250.00.

It really was a good pistol.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    ole trusty Nintendo zapper FB_IMG_1655080609530.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members