final update opinions please-not HK G3A3, is FA91 G3 .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    I have an opertunity to buy a FA91 G3. It is in good shape, appears to be an older one. Federal Arms Corp. I would appriciate any opinions of members who has used one. thanks

Update FA91 G3.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Great rifle. Cool design. Accurate. Reliable. Over priced as heck for a stamped steel receiver and machined internals in my opinion. The tacti-cool crowd will have multiple orgasms when they see it's a real H&K not a copy.

Dave

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    Actually the centruy "c93" is a great gun for the price, the only problem I have with the hk platform is there is no bolt hold open and you always end your mag with a click. These guns are very accurate though but tend to be way too pricey.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    HK G3 and HK93 are separate guns. A G3 is a select-fire no **** battle rifle chambered in 7.62x51. HK93 is a semi auto civ version in .223 (or maybe it is actually 5.56). I have a PTR 91 (semi HK 91 copy with HK internals) in .308 WIN and it is cool, reliable, accurate, with cheap mags. The HK 93 I shot about 10 years ago had the same ergonomics, was accurate, seemed reliable (and reputed to be), with wicked expensive mags. Didn't do anything a good AR doesn't. I'd still like to have one for the right price.

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    that will most likely be a century built gun possibly a vector. If it is not a century then it is a smoking good deal. If it is a century then that is a little too much to pay. They are 499 at most online retailers so once you factor in shipping and transfer most gunshops would have around 600 on them. I would not pay over that. Things to check are how well the magazine fits in it, how clean the welds are and dose everything on the gun line up.

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    If it is a Century HK-91 clone, I would run away based on the ones I've seen at the range (never shot) and the reputation of "drunken monkey" assembly.

If it is a one of the Springfield imported SAR-8s it could be a keeper.

If it is a CETME, then you need to shoot it. They are hit and miss, with probably more hits...but the misses are way outside. They generally look like a real POS compared to one of the good clones.

If it is a PTR 91, then it is a great deal unless it is a post JLD...then it might be a paperweight if you want to shoot surplus.

If it is a real HK 91, it is worth 3-4 times that (in good condition).

More info probably needed.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    Something youNEED to be aware of---the roller lock action of the HK platform relies on a proper bolt gap to function. As the rifle wears, the bolt gap decreases, to the point that it eventually will not function. Century was infamous for building rifles with too small a bolt gap, and then grinding the bolt to give a false good reading. They also have been known to use oversize rollers to give a bit of a larger gap measurement. Before you buy any roller lock rifle, use a feeler gauge and with bolt normally closed measure the bolt gap(from the magwell with the mag removed). Normal range is considered .010-.015.
    The century rifles have been known to start out with a gap of .010 and then after shooting a few rounds the gap decreases to .005 0r .006.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I bought one of the Century Arms 91's back in 1999 brand new. The receiver was a little rough and the first time I took it to the range the cocking handle didn't spring back--the bolt had gotten stuck. Had to disassemble the thing, remove the round and send it back for repairs, which they were real good about. After that I had no more problems and sold it to my bro in law and he still shoots it. I finally bought the real thing and there is a world of difference in quality between the two BUT you pay out the A$$ just to say you got the real thing. If its an early CAI gun that hasn't been shot yet be careful. If it has had some rounds put thru it than any problem has probably been taken care of by now. 650 seems to be a little on the high side but whatever you do, dont' rush into it and do some research on THAT particular weapon.

Top Bottom