Firearm Transfer at Police Station

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbrepro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2020
    Raceland, LA
    If you're looking for a safe place to meet to transfer a firearm, some police stations provide it. I live near Houma and just sold a rifle to someone who lives near Covington. We decided to meet halfway at the Kenner police station. We called in advance and were told that an officer would meet us to just observe. The officer who met us was friendly and courteous but also took our driver license info and ran the serial number of rifle which was okay with us. Just want you to be aware of that if you decide to do similar. Be sure to call in advance if you decide to.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well shucks, here’s the answer to something that seems to come up a lot. If you have any doubt about whether or not a firearm has ever been reported stolen, here’s one way to find out.
    Good info, thanks.
    I don’t trade with anyone I have a doubt about. If I don’t know the person, the person was not referred to me by someone I trust, or they don’t have a feedback profile here, I won’t buy or sell period. If they have doubts or feel the need to involve a third party, my FFL welcomes us. Not to say I wouldn’t be open to making the trade at a police station to satisfy the other party’s wishes, but if I had those kind of doubts I wouldn’t proceed with the trade.

dbrepro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 3, 2020
    Raceland, LA
    I'm relatively new to the area so there aren't a lot of people and places that I know well. Where we lived previously, the local city police were pro 2A and self defense (unfortunately the new county sheriff isn't) and quite willing to assist civilians especially with training. We needed a convenient place to meet. My FFL suggested Jefferson Gun Outlet but they informed me that they were treated like a pawn shop in this regard and are required to hold the firearm for 30 days before the buyer could walk away with it.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    We called in advance and were told that an officer would meet us to just observe. The officer who met us was friendly and courteous but also took our driver license info and ran the serial number of rifle which was okay with us.

No, thanks. If I felt that uneasy about a buy/sell, it just wouldn't happen altogether.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I work for an 01 FFL with an SOT.

As far as the 30 day thing geauxs:
    When we take in a used firearm, we fax the information pertaining to the firearm to the JPSO. We've never had a firearm come back as stolen as a result of this process in the last seven years I've been there.

If you bring a firearm to an FFL for a private transfer, you are opening a can of worms.
    I have to enter it into the A&D book.
    If the purchaser can not pass the federal background check, then the owner of the firearm must fill out a fm 4473 and pass a background check before he can leave with his/her own property.
    If neither person can pass the background check the firearm remains at the shop.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Whatever happened to just not doing business with shady people? If you are that concerned, don't do the deal or at minimum, bring a friend or 2 and meet in a public space.
    99.99% of the time, if you have a decent judgment of character, then you won't have much to worry about.
    I find it strange that we have the right to private transfers and yet people still want to get other entities involved.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Seems to me selling a firearm to someone you do not know is a risky proposition. You have no idea whether they are the next mass shooter or not. If I am selling one of my weapons, I know it's history. I will go thru an FFL to ensure the buyer can lawfully own the weapon. If I buy one from someone I don't know, I'm glad to know there is a system here in Houma to ensure it is not stolen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom