First Aid Training - Beyond the Basics?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Hypothetical question: Let's say someone is shot or poked or somehow has a hole opened up on their midsection. We have a few folks around, one of which has taken stop the bleed classes and is carrying a TQ and wound packing material. 911 is immediately called.

Option a) Pack the wound and compress. Maintain pressure till EMS arrives.
    Option b) Wait till EMS arrives.

Let's say that EMS arrives in 8 minutes.

Option a only happens because someone took a few classes and knows a bit about bleeding, but is no paramedic.

Which option is better?

I don't think anyone here is arguing that EMS will be replaced, but are arguing that simply having a bit of know-how and trauma tools (basic IFAK stuff) can probably help if someone has their pipes leaking.

If someone has a serious bleed from an appendage, don't pretty much all studies show that throwing on a TQ + applying pressure while waiting for EMS are a hell of a lot better than not? If a TQ is applied and EMS shows up 10 minutes later, they can decide to keep it, reapply another one, take it off, or apply alternate wound care, right?

Tourniquets will safe lives on extremity trauma. Pack the wound? Fine give it a shot. I never said don’t take a first aid or stop the bleed class. I’m fact I think you should take those classes.

I said an uncontrolled internal hemorrhage will kill you without a surgeon. I stand by that because it’s a fact.

I’m done answering this. Between myself and others who obviously know what they’re talking about you’ve already been given great advice. Unless someone puts something out that would be harmful to a patient I’m done.

God bless,

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Tourniquets will safe lives on extremity trauma. Pack the wound? Fine give it a shot. I never said don’t take a first aid or stop the bleed class. I’m fact I think you should take those classes.

I said an uncontrolled internal hemorrhage will kill you without a surgeon. I stand by that because it’s a fact.

I’m done answering this. Between myself and others who obviously know what they’re talking about you’ve already been given great advice. Unless someone puts something out that would be harmful to a patient I’m done.

God bless,

Dave

I think we are on the same page. Any uncontrolled serious bleed will kill you. The goal should always be to get the individual to the ER as quickly as possible, but steps can be taken to slow the bleed - and these things are taught in advanced first aid classes.

MotorBoy

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Youngsville
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but see if your area has a nighttime EMT course-best all around emergency medicine course available-I took it 40+ years ago while I was LEO- still remember a lot and have used it to this day

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet (only went thru the first dozen or so posts):

Orion Training Group has been running TacMed and a few other classes in the Denham area every couple months.

Maybe worth looking into if you’re interested in getting some additional training. I haven’t taken any yet but I know Jared from around EBR and he’s good people.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet (only went thru the first dozen or so posts):

Orion Training Group has been running TacMed and a few other classes in the Denham area every couple months.

Maybe worth looking into if you’re interested in getting some additional training. I haven’t taken any yet but I know Jared from around EBR and he’s good people.

Who runs Orion Training Group and what is the course outline for "TacMed?"

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom