FITS in Slidell

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yesterday I went to FITS for the first time (ever!) and had a pretty decent experience. We got there in the afternoon and had the range to ourselves for a nice 40 minutes before a few other patrons showed up.

All in all, the range was a positive experience, but I think I might be a bit spoiled by going to newer/nicer ranges. The ventilation was rather lacking with just two of us shooting. When two other groups came in, there was a rather thick cloud of smoke hanging around. Aside from that, the range is definitely in need of some TLC. The pulley systems are fairly old and they cause the targets to wobble. Not really a problem for handguns, but I was trying to sight in a 22lr rifle and it was obvious.

Another thing to note is that the range does not allow rifle calibers (no ARs) and they do not allow patrons to do any holster work.

Finally, I did notice that they have a very large supply of firearms for sale. I didn't handle any or look at the prices, but they had everything including rifles (that you can't shoot there), pistols, and shotguns.

Oh, and one other note: The hours are weird. The range closes one hour before the close of business, which means that the range closes at 5pm on weeknights. Maybe folks in this area just aren't going by the range after work on weeknights, but it seems like a business-limiting decision just from first glance.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Shooters club and Jefferson Gun Range don't allow rifle calibers either. Shooters Club doesn't allow draw from the holster. I've never been to Jefferson so I don't know their holster policy. I'm betting its the same.The only local range, to me, that allowed it all was St. Bernard and well they aren't back yet.

Tactitools and blanket statements... Welcome to Bayoushooter.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    St.Bernard (no longer open) Bayou Dragon, and MCTA are the only ranges in Louisiana that Ive been too that do allow you to draw from the holster or do any sort of holster work. Bayou Dragon can be a little iffy until they get to know you. Once they know you’re a responsible individual they won’t bother you much.

Not to get off subject FITS has been on my list to visit for awhile now. Always hear good things about it from friends. I just hate the idea of traveling to a range and being limited to only shooting handguns.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Cut Off Range Complex does also. And have prob 20 steel targets on the pistol bay, and more on the rifle long distance range. Drawing and rapid multiple target engagement is allowed.

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    Yesterday I went to FITS for the first time (ever!) and had a pretty decent experience. We got there in the afternoon and had the range to ourselves for a nice 40 minutes before a few other patrons showed up.

All in all, the range was a positive experience, but I think I might be a bit spoiled by going to newer/nicer ranges. The ventilation was rather lacking with just two of us shooting. When two other groups came in, there was a rather thick cloud of smoke hanging around. Aside from that, the range is definitely in need of some TLC. The pulley systems are fairly old and they cause the targets to wobble. Not really a problem for handguns, but I was trying to sight in a 22lr rifle and it was obvious.

Another thing to note is that the range does not allow rifle calibers (no ARs) and they do not allow patrons to do any holster work.

Finally, I did notice that they have a very large supply of firearms for sale. I didn't handle any or look at the prices, but they had everything including rifles (that you can't shoot there), pistols, and shotguns.

Oh, and one other note: The hours are weird. The range closes one hour before the close of business, which means that the range closes at 5pm on weeknights. Maybe folks in this area just aren't going by the range after work on weeknights, but it seems like a business-limiting decision just from first glance.
    100% agree with your review. I like it because it's close, but the hours in the evening aren't good for someone who works 9-5. The folks in Baton Rouge are spoiled with FRC range and Range USA. Those are both excellent facilities with good ventilation, allow rifles, and have later hours in the evening. Wish we had something like that in St. Tammany Parish.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    100% agree with your review. I like it because it's close, but the hours in the evening aren't good for someone who works 9-5. The folks in Baton Rouge are spoiled with FRC range and Range USA. Those are both excellent facilities with good ventilation, allow rifles, and have later hours in the evening. Wish we had something like that in St. Tammany Parish.
    LA Guns on Hwy 22 is opening an indoor range soon.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yeah, FRC is better than FITS in every regard. Clean, allow shooting of all calibers, friendlier (in my opinion) staff, and incredibly modern. They also have a shoot hours and other perks that aren't available in most other place.

We're also members at Bridgeview and can shoot outside and do movement drills as long as other folks aren't there.

There are a few outdoor ranges not too far from FITS in Mississippi that are cheaper to go to, give you the freedom to do what you want, and are outdoors...but they do require you to bring your own target stands and what not.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Not to get off subject FITS has been on my list to visit for awhile now. Always hear good things about it from friends. I just hate the idea of traveling to a range and being limited to only shooting handguns.
    It's not worth the drive. It's just a run-of-the-mill, tired old pistol range that doesn't bring much to the table other than being the only shooting range on the North Shore. They've put in enough range rules to not need an RO watching constantly, and their prices are what you'd expect when there's no competition. Very similar to Shooter's Club but with half the lanes and triple the retail.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    It's not worth the drive. It's just a run-of-the-mill, tired old pistol range that doesn't bring much to the table other than being the only shooting range on the North Shore.
    Not true, there is Bedico Creek Range. Nothing fancy but it works. Rifle out to 400 yards by appointment. Mike and Mr Jimmy. Pistol out to 30 yards. Prob not flashy enough for you, tho.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Lol shots fired. I’m curious as to what he ment by this as well honestly. Is it wrong to want to have modern things and be able to shoot any gun we own at a range we visit? I guess so
    read his comment above "just a tired old pistol range that doesn't bring anything to the table." Pretty negative imo. Be glad you have somewhere to go shoot period. And as I pointed out, it isn't the only place on the North Shore to go practice or shoot like the Canuk stated. Bedico might be 15 miles from Mandeville.

As for shooting any gun at any range, they have the right to establish their rules, at their range. Geez, talk about feeling entitled. Build you own range for us to shoot at then, with zero rules or restrictions. For the last 20 years, very few ranges will allow you to shoot 50 BMG, very few. They have their reasons, and its their damned range. Mike @ Bedico has been tightening up the safety rules in the last 12 months, sees so many untrained shooters with zero or very low safety training or habits. Many with bad habits too, muzzle flashing other shooters and stuff. It can't be easy operating and managing a shooting range, indoor or out. Not like ur gonna be rolling in the $ from it. Apocalypse Sports in Ponchy is building a new store and a pistol range, located on the service road of I-55. Burns was telling me about it some months back.

Last edited:

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    read his comment above "just a tired old pistol range that doesn't bring anything to the table." Pretty negative imo.
    It is negative. You know why? Because FITS sucks. It's tired, it's old, and it doesn't bring anything to the table other than a backstop you can throw bullets into in a semi-convenient location.

Nobody said they don't have a right to establish their own rules. I actually said the opposite, if you go back and read what I wrote. Honest mistake. You're entitled to that.

None of this is very complicated. Managing a retail service business isn't some top secret formula that people need to guess at, and it's remarkably consistent across industries. I will stand on the rooftops and sing the praises of businesses that are wonderfully run. I LOVE supporting business that put in an effort to be good, different, memorable, and create value. I am, likewise, under no obligation to say something is amazing when it's crappy.

That was, however, a very long-winded tap-dance around actually having to step up and address me the way you decided to start taking personal shots. Good for you, tough guy, dodged needing to actually back your own play. The way you treat other people on Christmas is just as cruddy as FITS shooting range. Notice how you didn't spell my name right when it's an inch from your face, and how your commentary is filled with juvenile spelling mistakes? That's the same attention to detail that's consistent with why you think FITS is a well-run establishment.

Maybe you're just cranky because you're not as flashy as me. I do sparkle.

Ho Ho Ho.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Nobody said they don't have a right to establish their own rules. I actually said the opposite, if you go back and read what I wrote. Honest mistake. You're entitled to that.

If you take notice, I didn't respond to you but to Jstudz. Notice I did not quote you buddy, your mistake here, not mine.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    @John_

You do realize you start these fights, then get all butthurt when people put you in your place, right ?
    Look who comes out to play? Butthurt? You were the one butthurt evidently from our last exchange. The guy who stated here his laser "cuts metal" during the engraving process, LOL. And could not accurately find the cash price on a Tesla Model 3 a month ago. I bet your mommy or daddy actually purchased your new Tesla for you :)

You wouldn't know the truth if it smacked you in the face. You def got one thing going for you, King of BS.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Look who comes out to play? Butthurt? You were the one butthurt evidently from our last exchange. The guy who stated here his laser "cuts metal" during the engraving process, LOL. And could not accurately find the cash price on a Tesla Model 3 a month ago. I bet your mommy or daddy actually purchased your new Tesla for you :)

You wouldn't know the truth if it smacked you in the face. You def got one thing going for you, King of BS.
    Thats a whole lot of typing for "You are right"

And rememebr who keeps making this personal with everyone, yet whining about it when its returned.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom