Fresh Eggs and Leftover Biscuits

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Know what's good about making too many biscuits for dinner? You have some leftover for breakfast the next day!
    I went outside this morning to check on the chickens and give them their usual morning snack and picked up some nice fresh eggs. One was so big I'll have to write a separate post about it. I went inside and sliced a biscuit open, put it in the toaster to warm and cooked those two other fresh eggs over easy. The only thing that would have made it better would be a couple of slices of bacon. Oh, I didn't get a picture of the fresh squeezed Blood Orange juice.

DSC01035.jpg

Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    Egg question. My wife remarked, if its store bought it goes in the frige, if its fresh from the farm - I need to store it at room temperature. I do not agree but, what's your opinion on egg ethics 101?

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Egg question. My wife remarked, if its store bought it goes in the frige, if its fresh from the farm - I need to store it at room temperature. I do not agree but, what's your opinion on egg ethics 101?

If you don't clean them off (Wipe off some preservative layer I disremember what it is) our looking at nearly a month (In a typical house) IIRC.

'Farm fresh' you CAN put in the fridge.

The Eggs you buy are about a month old.

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    You can probably get by with leaving a farm fresh egg out for a day or two, but after that they need to be refrigerated below 40 degrees to retard the growth of any salmonella bacteria that "may" be inside. Also, a little fact that most people are not aware of is, due to the way the regulations are written, commercially produced store bought eggs can legally be up to 4 months old and still be sold to the (unwitting) public. yuck! Fresh is the way to go if you can get them easily.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    There's lots of opinions on this. An egg unwashed will last the longest. That said, who wants to bring eggs with dirt and poop on them and put them on the counter or in the fridge? Now you can just wipe off the biggest excess stuff and keep them out. or you can wash them and refrigerate them like store bought. Me, Ibring them in and rinse 'em with fresh cold water and let them sit on the counter and if they don't get used withinh a week or so they go into the fridge.
    Yes, store bought eggs are already a couple or three weeks old and that dependes on how long they sit in the store.

The way you can tell if an egg is really fresh is if when you break it open and in a pan or on a flat surface the yolk sits up high and holds it's round shape. If it lays really flat like and old flabby boob(lol...)it's an old egg.

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    The way you can tell if an egg is really fresh is if when you break it open and in a pan or on a flat surface the yolk sits up high and holds it's round shape. If it lays really flat like and old flabby boob(lol...)it's an old egg.

Very true! Thanks, I forgot to mention that! Now, for the important stuff :) ...Does anybody know an easy way to peel a fresh hard boiled egg? I've tried several of the old wives tales but I haven't found anything that works consistently yet.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Very true! Thanks, I forgot to mention that! Now, for the important stuff :) ...Does anybody know an easy way to peel a fresh hard boiled egg? I've tried several of the old wives tales but I haven't found anything that works consistently yet.

Try this.... Use cold water with the eggs and bring it to a boil slowly and don't overboil them too long. Remove from fire and add cold running water but peel them while the eggs are still warm under warm running water. This I found seems to work best.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Try this.... Use cold water with the eggs and bring it to a boil slowly and don't overboil them too long. Remove from fire and add cold running water but peel them while the eggs are still warm under warm running water. This I found seems to work best.
    The shock of the cold water seems to cause a lot of cracks, for me, and often separates the 'skin' of the shell from the egg. Using that method, I can usually just peel the shell off in one to three large pieces that hold together. Rolling it on the counter to crunch up the shell can help stubborn ones too, though not so hard that you smash the egg. Just enough to get the shell all shattered up. It'll peel right off, then, in my experience.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom