Fun at Nicks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Little fun at Nicks this morning. Kept it simple mainly focusing on function checking my 7.5" AR I threw together.

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_110230~2.jpg
      IMG_20220423_110230~2.jpg
      174.1 KB · Views: 177

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    No rapid fire/drawing from the hip, not as big as MCTA. R/O's and owner are pretty cool though. It's very well controlled/run. As long as you follow their rules and don't seem to be a jackass, they pretty much leave you alone. I went ahead and got their 1yr "Marksman Membership" for $115. So I can shoot for $5 bucks all day for a year. Whether I go once a month or once a week. That trailer/shack/building lol, looks like dookie on the exterior, but once your inside it's actually nice. If you go after a recent rain, it's a good idea to walk the side of the range then down the berm to keep your feet dry. The ground is low from the 70-100yd marks so it holds water. (I found out the hard way today when I got my feet soaked). The owner didn't even realize it was still that wet, so I don't fault him at all.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have been shooting @ Nick's (Nick Lasseigne) for as long as he has been open. Prob 20 or 25 years now. He had a gun shop in Gramercy on Main St before moving to the range/gun shop in Garyville just off Airline Hwy to the north. The range was built in a swamp/marshy area. When it rains a lot, you better wear rubber boots to set up/change ur targets. Believe me, Nick and Paul know if its wet toward the 100 yard berm every single day. This isn't rocket science here folks.

Fun fact: Nick's store (the trailer) has been broken into/attempted robbery at night a couple times over the years. The trailer once burned down. Prob payback for no guns within it. He carries every single firearm in his shop home with him @ close of business every single day. Or least he did, I haven't been to Nick's in a couple years. Why Nick makes every attempt to do gunsmith work and get it back to the owner asap, same day if possible. Repairs or a trigger job. Life in de swamp ain't all fun.

Last edited:

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I have been shooting @ Nick's (Nick Lasseigne) for as long as he has been open. Prob 20 or 25 years now. He had a gun shop in Gramercy on Main St before moving to the range/gun shop in Garyville just off Airline Hwy to the north. The range was built in a swamp/marshy area. When it rains a lot, you better wear rubber boots to set up/change ur targets. Believe me, Nick and Paul know if its wet toward the 100 yard berm every single day. This isn't rocket science here folks.

Fun fact: Nick's store (the trailer) has been broken into/attempted robbery at night a couple times over the years. The trailer once burned down. Prob payback for no guns within it. He carries every single firearm in his shop home with him @ close of business every single day. Or least he did, I haven't been to Nick's in a couple years. Why Nick makes every attempt to do gunsmith work and get it back to the owner asap, same day if possible. Repairs or a trigger job. Life in de swamp ain't all fun.
    That would make sense why he doesn't keep a ton of inventory as far as weapons go. He did tell me if I was looking to buy something in particular he may be able to find and order it. Just let him know.

Last edited:

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    Little fun at Nicks this morning. Kept it simple mainly focusing on function checking my 7.5" AR I threw together.
    Not bad for irons at 50 from a pistol. You can probably swing this free standing with a good clinch on it. Was this sitting? We used to have a similar fellow my way 3000 miles northeast, folks like Nick make our loves so much richer and safer. Im sure it's a passion for most, they don't typically fare wet financially and there's always antis would cause grief for them. We need to get a Gun Range Anti Harassment Bill through just as we have Anti Hunter Harassment laws in effect.

Last edited:

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Not bad for irons at 50 from a pistol. You can probably swing this free standing with a good clinch on it. Was this sitting? We used to have a similar fellow my way 3000 miles northeast, folks like Nick make our loves so much richer and safer. Im sure it's a passion for most, they don't typically fare wet financially and there's always antis would cause grief for them. We need to get a Gun Range Anti Harassment Bill through just as we have Anti Hunter Harassment laws in effect.
    That was free standing/shouldering the weapon..

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    No rapid fire/drawing from the hip, not as big as MCTA. R/O's and owner are pretty cool though. It's very well controlled/run. As long as you follow their rules and don't seem to be a jackass, they pretty much leave you alone. I went ahead and got their 1yr "Marksman Membership" for $115. So I can shoot for $5 bucks all day for a year. Whether I go once a month or once a week. That trailer/shack/building lol, looks like dookie on the exterior, but once your inside it's actually nice. If you go after a recent rain, it's a good idea to walk the side of the range then down the berm to keep your feet dry. The ground is low from the 70-100yd marks so it holds water. (I found out the hard way today when I got my feet soaked). The owner didn't even realize it was still that wet, so I don't fault him at all.
    That first part kills it for me. I can understand no mag dumping I guess but I at least want to be able to shoot quickly and be able to draw from a holster with handguns.

Even bayou dragon let’s me shoot fast or practice drawing from a holster and they are pretty strict. The one time they came over to tell me something about shooting to quickly they told me I need to be able to control every shot. We looked at my target and agreed I was doing just that granted I was shooting my TX22 at the time so that’s not really challenging to do.

Not hating on Nick’s one bit it’s their business and they can run it however they like too. With the amount of new shooters I can also understand having those rules in place and would probably do the same if owned a range. I would at least like to see them allow you to be able to shoot quickly or draw from a holster if you prove you can do it safely and effectively. As expensive as ammo and gas is now I really try to make every range trip count.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Lots of Gucci guns and newbies out there today. I stayed long enough to give a buddy some pointers and rolled out. Was good to see Scott as the RO.
    Why I joined Palo Alto. Seen too many stupid things at public ranges. Mostly people shooting a gun for the first time at 20 or 30 years old.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Why I joined Palo Alto. Seen too many stupid things at public ranges. Mostly people shooting a gun for the first time at 20 or 30 years old.
    I’m all for people learning how to shoot and getting into it to exercise their 2nd Amendment right. With that being said I don’t think just showing up to a gun range to try to figure things out is the way to go about it. Unfortunately I’ve left the range early probably 5 or 6 times in the past couple of years because of other people being reckless. Smelling like pot, flagging everyone in site including themselves, and the one that kills me the most taking pictures or videos for social media. St. Bernard indoor shooting center was definitely the worst one around me when it was crowded. I’ve never left MCTA because I felt unsafe and can only think of one time just recently I left bayou dragon early.

Top Bottom