Fun With Paint & Ammo Cans!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well, I was bored earlier since I was not able to go out to the BZ, so I had to do something to occupy my mind. Got some cheapy cans from the last gun show so decided to sand them down and refinish them. Had fun playing with spray paint & smoking cigars!!

Just going to throw some spare ammo in them, but was still fun messing around with them. It sure was a nice afternoon. :D

100_2874.jpg

100_2877.jpg

100_2878.jpg

100_2882.jpg

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    came out nice! Painting is one thing I've never had much patience for, everything I've always painted has at least 1 fingerprint in it from getting anxious "is ti dry yet?!"

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    What kind of paint? How did you do the patterns? Details!

I took my 870 out of my truck for the first time since Gustav. My truck rear window leaks a bit. I've got a nice rust patch on top of my receiver. Painting that shotgun is getting tempting.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Rustoleum sprain paint. Dark green, flat earth & dark gray. I was going to attempt the digital camo pattern that they used in the 80's and currently, but will save that for a future project, because I wanted to get out there and not sit down cutting out a stencil. I have a few scalpels that I will use to cut the pattern out on some plastic when I have more time.

I cut out some branch patterns on a thick manila folder. Walked around the yard picking ferns, bamboo & maple leaves. Flattened them out. Let the dark green base coat dry, used dark gray to spray on the stencil, then overlaid the leaves on them and sprayed the flat earth over the leaves and sprayed them.

For those that might want to give it a try first. ;)

Digitalstencil.jpg

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Try the pine needle method. Start w/ your darker base coat, then cover up w/ a light (@1" thick) layer of pine needles, and fog/stripe/whatever, with the next lighter color. let dry for a couple minutes, pick up the needles drop them a different way, and repeat w/ the next lighter color. I did an 870 and a 10/22 this way, and it turns out great
    10-222.jpg
    10-221.jpg

Oreo

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Red Stick
    I dug out 2 cans this morning and was thinking about blasting them and repainting. This is inspiring the project!!!

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Wanna try a few more patterns before I paint my .177 Gamo.

Saw a 10/22 done on here about a month ago and it gave me the bug. I need to get some more can...then fill them! HAHAH...no but seriously, I like the pine needle idea. I just need to find a pine tree. I am going to try some cypress leaves also. The digital camo pattern is the next project.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've seen good results with laundry bags also... I stil have wood stocks (in poor condition) on my 870. I wasn't sure how krylon/rusoleum would do on wood. Prime w/ Kilz first?

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I've seen good results with laundry bags also... I stil have wood stocks (in poor condition) on my 870. I wasn't sure how krylon/rusoleum would do on wood. Prime w/ Kilz first?

I just sanded mine down w/ about 220 grit and painted it.

If you dont have access to pine needles, buy a cheap corn straw broom at the dollar store and use the bristles.

Top Bottom