G19 or G23??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hatred

Sic vis pacem para bellum
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Denham Springs/Baton Rouge
    Looking at getting a new Glock. Already have a G22 but I want a compact one next. Never have shot a G17/G19 so I dont know if I should go with the 9mm or stick with another .40. Also....... How much more is the recoil/kick on a 9 compared to a 40? My G22 seems to have a little kick to it so I was just wondering.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    9 will have less "kick" than the 40.

and i'd say go with the 23 over the 19 simply because you'll only have to buy one type of ammo and you can interchange the magazines (well, at least the 22 mags into the 23, not vise versa)

hatred

Sic vis pacem para bellum
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Denham Springs/Baton Rouge
    9 will have less "kick" than the 40.

and i'd say go with the 23 over the 19 simply because you'll only have to buy one type of ammo and you can interchange the magazines (well, at least the 22 mags into the 23, not vise versa)

Yeah Ive considered the ammo solution also. Plus Ive always loved having that .40 knockdown power if ever needed.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    45acp.jpg

FrankJr

Tazer,Mace,then Miranda
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Zachary, La
    Have both, and love them both. G19 is my duty gun, shoots 120's when I can do my part (as Topgunz about that lol!) G23 is just part of the collection. Easy answer for a gun freak is just buy both, thats what I'd do.

FrankJr

Tazer,Mace,then Miranda
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Zachary, La
    I don't remember where I saw or read this, but I love it..
    "I remember this smartass asks me one day "Why do you carry a nine?? Is that really enough power??" You should have seen his face when I replied "I dont think you"ll care much about the caliber when I put 2 in your chest and one in your forehead!"
    Thats the jist of the comment, may not be the exact wording, but you get the picture.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm a big 9mm fan. I can accurately put a large number of rounds on the target quickly, and when it comes down to it, thats what matters. I'd rather have 4 rounds of 9mm tearing into someones center mass than two .45's, as well as be more manageable offhand, etc.

But if you already have a .40 and like it, I'd stick with it. your not sacrificing much in the way of capacity, and .40 ammo isnt that much more expensive than 9mm as far as i know

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    I don't remember where I saw or read this, but I love it..
    "I remember this smartass asks me one day "Why do you carry a nine?? Is that really enough power??" You should have seen his face when I replied "I dont think you"ll care much about the caliber when I put 2 in your chest and one in your forehead!"
    Thats the jist of the comment, may not be the exact wording, but you get the picture.

Frank,

That is good in theory, but in reality most people don't spend enough time to develop the skills necessary to perform an effective 3 shot kill. If they did we would all carry 32 or 380.

The reality of it is most people, cops included, shoot just enough to qualify to carry.

I think the 8 hour Concealed Carry class is a joke. And now the POST council is going to get rid of the 25 yard line!?! WTF?

Muscle memory and proficiency is the key. Perfect practice makes perfect.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    True enough (except for the .32 part- bigger holes are always better).

That's one thing I like about Trinity Tactical Institute (the training arm of Long Range Alley). Their CHP course is still only a day, but it packs as much info and training as possible into that time. Joe developed his own syllabus and takes the course very seriously.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    We interupt this re-hashing of the my caliber is better than yours argument for a public service announcment from the Church of the Tactical Truth....Pistols are not effective "man-stoppers" . No pistol has ever had "knock-down power". Until they start chambering handguns in 105mm they will be marginally effective at best. Unfortunately they are still the best tool for their job. Repeat after me: Pistols punch little holes in things, rifles tear stuff up.
    The .45acp mafia is not going to like this next part. Knock-down power is a myth, here's how I know. Newtons law; "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". Any cartridge that "knocked down" a target it struck would have the same effect on the man holding the pistol that launched it.
    For most of my adult life I have been and "Armed Proffesional". I have shot people, been shot at, and seen a great many more people shot. I have seen men take a .50cal BMG round and drag themselves to cover, and I have seen a guy shot with a single .25cal round in the chest drop like a stone. Bullets do weird stuff to people. Being tactically sound and profficent with whatever caliber you carry is far more important than the .100ths of millimeters diffrence in size between the bullets.
    If you are looking to buy a pistol for personal defense the effectivness of that weapon will hinge on how much you shoot it and how profficent you are with it. That being said you cannot replace adequate training with bigger bullets. Personally I shoot 9mm or .45acp. I like the Glock 19, in fact I think it is the king of combat handguns. I can afford to shoot a great deal of 9mm ammo. That makes it the most effective choice for me. I have a buddy who reloads, therefore he can make cheap .45acp and that makes it the best choice for him. The common thread here is that it is the amount of training that dictates whats best not some number.
    Shot placement is the only way to turn a pistol cartridge into a "man-stopper". You either break the dudes pump(heart), shutdown his computer(brain), stop his wheels(pelvis/spine). Any full-size duty pistol cartridge (9mm-.45acp) will do its job if you do yours. If it makes you feel better to shoot a bigger bullet than by all means do so, but please don't convince yourself that your are packing Thor's Hammer on you hip. If you don't do the shot placement part no pistol bullet of any size will compensate. Now back to your caliber argument already in progress.....

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    We interupt this re-hashing of the my caliber is better than yours argument for a public service announcment from the Church of the Tactical Truth....Pistols are not effective "man-stoppers" . No pistol has ever had "knock-down power". Until they start chambering handguns in 105mm they will be marginally effective at best. Unfortunately they are still the best tool for their job. Repeat after me: Pistols punch little holes in things, rifles tear stuff up.
    The .45acp mafia is not going to like this next part. Knock-down power is a myth, here's how I know. Newtons law; "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". Any cartridge that "knocked down" a target it struck would have the same effect on the man holding the pistol that launched it.
    For most of my adult life I have been and "Armed Proffesional". I have shot people, been shot at, and seen a great many more people shot. I have seen men take a .50cal BMG round and drag themselves to cover, and I have seen a guy shot with a single .25cal round in the chest drop like a stone. Bullets do weird stuff to people. Being tactically sound and profficent with whatever caliber you carry is far more important than the .100ths of millimeters diffrence in size between the bullets.
    If you are looking to buy a pistol for personal defense the effectivness of that weapon will hinge on how much you shoot it and how profficent you are with it. That being said you cannot replace adequate training with bigger bullets. Personally I shoot 9mm or .45acp. I like the Glock 19, in fact I think it is the king of combat handguns. I can afford to shoot a great deal of 9mm ammo. That makes it the most effective choice for me. I have a buddy who reloads, therefore he can make cheap .45acp and that makes it the best choice for him. The common thread here is that it is the amount of training that dictates whats best not some number.
    Shot placement is the only way to turn a pistol cartridge into a "man-stopper". You either break the dudes pump(heart), shutdown his computer(brain), stop his wheels(pelvis/spine). Any full-size duty pistol cartridge (9mm-.45acp) will do its job if you do yours. If it makes you feel better to shoot a bigger bullet than by all means do so, but please don't convince yourself that your are packing Thor's Hammer on you hip. If you don't do the shot placement part no pistol bullet of any size will compensate. Now back to your caliber argument already in progress.....

What a great first post. :bigok:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    That post made my eyes hurt, but I did catch this:

"That being said you cannot replace adequate training with bigger bullets."

Quite true. :D

Welcome to the site!

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Crazy I know...I was going to make a post about how when you shot a guy with insert, your cool caliber here, you wipe out their family 3 generations back. I don't know what happened it just came out totally diffrent...

Top Bottom