generator question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fng

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    we have always heard that the 1800 rpm diesel generators are superior to the 3600 rpm gas generators..i wont
    argue with that, however i do question what the differences are with the gen heads, the actual part of the generator that makes power. my question, for those who might know, is there a difference between the actual parts that makes power on generators any different between gas or diesel??

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    The major difference is in construction. Some cheap generators use aluminum windings in the generator instead of copper. I doubt you'll find any 1800 rpm ( commercial) generators with aluminum windings. Another is the obvious design to deliver full voltage at 1800rpm. Typically, diesel generators are larger commercial generators and made to run continuously. Gasoline fueled gen's are usually small portables that aren't designed to run as much as the diesel standbys. That's not saying the gasoline models are made poorly, just not as heavy duty. Portable gasoline generators is also where you might find aluminum windings in the generator head.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    There are some major differences in the design of the regulation part too..
    If a small portable has a 220(30a) and a 110 outlet then the legs of the 110 usually are bridged to the 110 and you cannot use both.
    If it has a 50 amp, 30 amp and 110, then the same applies but with one difference, there is usually a capacitor for regulation is to clean up the electricity where the smaller gens do not have the cap.. (usually).
    Sometimes there is a resistor there too, for protection..
    If the head is designed for 1800 then it needs 1800 rpms, 3600 will not work.. same for 3600... the difference is 4 pole vs 2 pole..

Top Bottom