Generator Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have a ETQ4000 generator, it is from the Gustav season, worked fine for Gustav. I was going to drain the gas and change the plug, however the plug seems to have been welded in China...

Anyway, I opened the tank there was a little gas left with red tint, so I am sure it had Stabil in it, so I pull the string and it starts on the 3rd pull, tried to start on the first two.

Well it runs fine at about 1/4-1/8 choke, if I open it up wide open it starts to "surge", I put it under load and opened the choke wide open and it ran fine. Should I worry about anything? This will be the last season for this gen set. I also have a little 2000 watt two stroke that I run the Fridge and aquarium pump on. It runs 24/7 and the 4000 runs TWO window units and some fans to sleep comfortable with.

I am budgeting for a better gen set. I want a portable whole house diesel Generator, something that is on a trailer and can run some serious equipment. I might get a Honda as a stop gap for a few years, just depends on how business goes.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    That one might clear up. Probably has a little gunk in the carb (stabil is great but not perfect, and 4 years is awhile). Running fresh gas through it for a bit might clear up that needing choke surge.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    My backup gen did the "surge" thing also for a while, then backfired, then poured out white smoke that engulfed the street then ran fine. Old nasty gas I'm betting. It was hard to start so I put a little started in the intake and fired right up.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Get a good volt meter(Fluke),one that measures Hertz's, they are not cheap, and check the voltage and the hertz, voltage of course should be 120V or 220V Hertz should be 60 ; check this when it's under a load. the Hertz should not drop much below 59 or so and should not be abouve 61 or you could damage appliances or whatever your powering. if the voltage and Hertz are good under load you should be okay. also a nice little add on for a generator is an RPM indicator that you can get for around $40 from an autoparts store or from GN gonzales. your RPM's should be close to 3600 for most portable's. If your RPM's start to drop your hertz will drop also. this is a good way to see if your overloading your generator. the RPM indicator is a simple add on that has a wire that wraps around the spark plug wire, easy to install. as far as the engine surge it sounds like a needle valve problem in the carbuator, i'm not a small engine mechanic so good luck with that, fuel stabilizer is a wounderful thing. don't forget to get some good 30W oil and change it about every 3-4 days of constant run time. good luck.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    ugh, I was playing with my lil two stroke. It was completely empty so I put fresh gas and a new spark plug in it and it started after a couple pulls, I guess I moved the choke too fast and killed it. Pulled the handle again, poof, rope went spinning into genny, well at least it runs.... just got to dig the cord out and find a nice stick to tie to it. It will remind me of growing up using my grandpa's equipment.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    nick, that sucks, good luck..

Ah, it would suck more to have 0 Generators. At least I have two with running engines, and I can confirm one still runs two window units.

Ashley went to gas up her Mini SUV and she took 4 gas cans with her. A lady behind her asked her if she really needed all that gas for the storm. She told her it is not just for this storm, it is for the season and it was better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it. Good girl!

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Sounds to me like its suffering from a bad case of the Bernoulli principal. Ethanol has not been good to small engines. Not saying thats the problem but it is a good place to start. Carb cleaner. Good luck and hope you do not even have to use it.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Yeah ethanol isn't good for atmospheric vented fuel systems. Lawn mowers, gennys, boats, etc. cars are ok cause the vent goes through carbon first and removes water. See, ethanol is an alcohol, which is very good at absorbing water, which wreaks havoc in tanks and carbs.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Well, the 4000 watt Generator is purring now with the choke all the way open, once some fresh gas worked its way through it cleared up. I am debating digging the two stroke cord out or not. Probably won't need it and I have other things to do.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I usually run ethanol gas during use, like after storm, but immediately drain and run 100% gas through it right after to prevent the moisture problems associated with ethanol.

Good going nick! I figured that's all it would need to get right.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Fix the two stroke now before you need it.

It runs fine, I just have to take some bolts off and re wrap the cord, the cord didn't break, the handle broke. I use to have to do it all the time on my grandpa's equipment. He wouldn't buy a new handle for anything, almost every pull start item he had a stick tied to the end....

Top Bottom