Getting a gas key staked

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RickyT

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR #413
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Bedico
    Is this something that has to be done by a gunsmith? Do we have anybody in our community that can check the torque on the two screws for me and stake them a little better than what they are. Looks to be a little on the light side for my liking. I have read about a mokes tool or something that is used for the task. Ima try and include a picture. Is it staked good enough?

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    one way to find out is to shoot it, and keep an eye on them while you are cleaning afterwards. I'd just scribe a small line on them, and just check it periodically, then worry about staking if need be.

Jon

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 13, 2006
    BR "City of Central"
    Let me guess Rock River, Bushmaster? Get or borrow or find a smith with a MOACKS tool. A chisel and a punch will work too if you want to go that route. It is one critical item that can cause malfunctions if it comes loose. Why take the chance?
    http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

fencepost004.jpg

AR carrier key staking (pics)
    http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/AR-carrier-key-staking-pics-t19144.html

Last edited:

WHEELER

Don't Tread on Me
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    The existing staking is not going to cut it, it will keep the bolts from popping out but not prevent them from coming loose
    Just put the carrier in a vice and hit it again with a sharp chisel and hammer.

RickyT

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR #413
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Bedico
    I suspected the staking was light. I won't fire it until I get it right. Tis a bushy, and I'm not worthy of such a task. I have wrung off every bolt or stripped everything I have touched. That moacks tool looks like little effort goes into it but designed to do a superb job. Anybody got one? If not I'll call around to some Smith's and see who has one and head over there tomorrow. Slidell Arms, Precision? South Shore, one of them is bound to have one.

Thanks for ya'lls opinions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bbroussard
    Top Bottom