Getting old

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldman11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Louisiana
    what can i do? I am 80 yrs old and can no longer shoot my large caliber revolvers. I have revolvers in .41 mag,.44 mag and .45 colt. Do i sell or what? I can still shoot my .45 acp,.357 mag and other light recoling revolvers ok. What would you do? Sell,keep or what?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Reload light loads. I have a Ruger Blackhawk 45acp, 45 Colt Convertable that I shoot 185 full wad cutters with cream puff loads.
    M1 Garand doing the same a self cast bullet (311365 Ideal-Lyman)
    Like shooting surplus LC ammo but easy on shooter. But bet it is crap after yiuu get out there. When developed sentbinfo and bullets to many CMP guy's. All the kids and ladies loved it.
    44spl loads in 44 Mag cases if you have no 44spl cases on hand.
    Taylor the guns to your use and save them for the kids and grand kids. Unless you need money.

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    If you don't reload (light loads) or have family to hand those down to, selling makes the most sense. I'm a little younger than you but I'm looking ahead and see a similar situation approaching. I don't have anyone to hand down to so I'm about ready to start selling some.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Do you live in a place where you can regularly shoot, or have kids to pass down to? If not, I'd sell them or leave them to people who you know would appreciate or preserve them...or who could sell them and better their position in life. If you can shoot still, mybe sell/trade them for smaller calibers that you can still shoot and enjoy.

I'm trying to sell my 12ga because my parents are now too old to handle it in defense, so I'm trying to sell it and set them up with an AR for home defense.
    I'd say that maintaining your ability to reliably protect yourself is the most important thing...even if it means scaling all the way down to .22magnum if you have to...because no one can protect us better than us!

Abu Josh

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Mandeville
    what can i do? I am 80 yrs old and can no longer shoot my large caliber revolvers. I have revolvers in .41 mag,.44 mag and .45 colt. Do i sell or what? I can still shoot my .45 acp,.357 mag and other light recoling revolvers ok. What would you do? Sell,keep or what?
    Good morning sir! Just keep them. Guns always appreciate in value.

Oldman11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Louisiana
    The two revolvers i have the most trouble with are the Smith Wesson models 29-2 and the 29-3. Both have 83/8 barrels,one has a scope. I have a Smith Wesson .44 special and a smith Wesson .41 mag that i will shoot and either sell the other two or put them back for the kids.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I put a rubberized combat grip on my 29-3 in 44 mag. It made it a lot sweeter to shoot.
    I had firearms I couldn’t shoot or enjoy, I’d definitely pass them down to a deserving family member. A couple of years ago I pulled a handful of firearms from my collection. Mostly repeats, impulse buys and guns that were more novelty than anything. I had my 3 adult kids over one weekend and had them choose one at a time until they were gone. They were all ecstatic. I passed a few more on to my nephews and one pistol to a good friend who needed one at home and just wouldn’t spend the money. I know I cherish still the guns that were handed down to me by my grand dad and my father. I definitely think of them every time I pick one up.
    That being said, if there was nobody deserving, I’d sell those puppies and enjoy that money working for me.

MattD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    +1 for Bigchillin83's suggestions.

I'm 76 and my hands are getting to know this guy, Authur Rightus.

My salvation was finding Powder Manufacturer published loads for .357s that shoot like .38 S&Ws and yes, I realize I can shoot .38 S&Ws in my .357s but I still have enough .357 cases to want to continue to reload them in lieu of only .38 cases and eventually, I'll know that my .357 cases are reduced loads for the .357.

In addition, I have a .40 S&W load using BB (Bayou Bullets) 140gr. bullets that are damn close in recoil to my 9 mil, 120gr. BB reloads.

I have a few .40 S&W to 9mm conversion barrels and the POA/POI for both loads are close enough (in recoil) and for plate work in the same firearm (and so much for the snappy (which I disagree with) .40 difference).

The .44 Mag(and yes, I know what a .44 Spcl. is) is on my list, I just ain't dere yet.

In case(pun intended) it did not come through, I enjoy reloading as much as shooting!

With regard,

Matt

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I am almost as old as you and can no longer handle much recoil or long range sessions. Keep the revolvers you can shoot and purchase a Gen 5 G17 or G34 and enjoy.

JB-Glock21

Old School
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Denham Springs
    The two revolvers i have the most trouble with are the Smith Wesson models 29-2 and the 29-3. Both have 83/8 barrels,one has a scope. I have a Smith Wesson .44 special and a smith Wesson .41 mag that i will shoot and either sell the other two or put them back for the kids.
    S&W Model 29.....2Die4!

bayoubuddy

Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Aug 24, 2022
    Baton Rouge
    You could always sell and find new calibers to try?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom