GMC 5.3V8 with 6 Speed and 3.42 rear

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Was wondering if anyone has similar and tows a trailering RV with it. Looking for weight, drivability, etc.
    I am looking at a Rockwood Mini Lite and it weighs 5100lb dry.
    I am a little nervous with that weight. I had a 2001 Sunny Brook that weighed right at 4700lbs and after 5 trips it destroyed the tranny in my 2010 F-150, 4.6v8, 6 speed and 355 rear..
    My old F-150 was rated to tow about the same as my GMC, 9400lbs. I am no where near that but the F-150 struggled to pull my old RV on flat land.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Rockwood Mini Lite 2511. Pull it with a GMC 2500 diesel/Allison. The 2500 doesn't know there's a loaded Mini Lite back there. I would say it's overkill, but I didn't want to struggle going uphill or worry about controlling it on downhills.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Was wondering if anyone has similar and tows a trailering RV with it. Looking for weight, drivability, etc.
    I am looking at a Rockwood Mini Lite and it weighs 5100lb dry.
    I am a little nervous with that weight. I had a 2001 Sunny Brook that weighed right at 4700lbs and after 5 trips it destroyed the tranny in my 2010 F-150, 4.6v8, 6 speed and 355 rear..
    My old F-150 was rated to tow about the same as my GMC, 9400lbs. I am no where near that but the F-150 struggled to pull my old RV on flat land.
    Tow haul. It is not supposed to go I to overdrive in that setting.

I have over 50k miles towing with a 6r80, they're a very bullet proof transmission for ford. I'd be curious to see what actually happened to yours. Tow/haul will not prevent the trans from going into overdrive, you'd have to manually lock out 5th and 6th gear to prevent that.

The GM will definitely tow better than the 4.6.

Last edited:

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I have over 50k miles towing with a 6r80, they're a very bullet proof transmission for ford. I'd be curious to see what actually happened to yours. Tow/haul will not prevent the trans from going into overdrive, you'd have to manually lock out 5th and 6th gear to prevent that.

The GM will definitely tow better than the 4.6.
    Torque converter blew apart. It was 12k to fix so I got ride of it.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    pulling wise you should have no issue with that truck/trailer combo. i've owned quite a few gm trucks. currently have 3 and a tahoe. i would however add a trans cooler as someone above stated. keeping temps down is the life of the trans. i had a 2014 gmc z71 that was leveled on 35's that i pulled my 32' bumper pull with. it pulled it well weight wise at 9k+ lbs. however i had trouble with drifting when semi's etc would pass. i think my issue was a combination of being at the upper limit of the towing capability compounded by the level and m/t tires. i moved up to a 2500 which is also leveled on 35's and it will pull it anywhere i want as fast as i want and holds the road well. weight should not be your issue as much as the surface area and the wind effect on it. my diesel has trans temp gauge on it and larger trans cooler but it still brings the temp up some when pulling in areas where i'm stopping and starting a lot. not to a dangerous temp by any means but it does come up some. get yourself a good weight distribution hitch to aid in maintaining proper ride height and manage any sway, install a trans cooler such as a trucool and get some tow mirrors or add on tow mirrors and you should be ready to hit the road.

Top Bottom