Go Climb a tree

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Looking to purchase a new climber for bow season this year. Looking at a Summit Viper SD, anyone out there have this stand? Also if anyone has a good recomendation for a climber?

My considerations are as follows

1- Weight ( Less is better, may walk in up too 4 miles)
    2- Comfort ( Both packing and sitting in)
    3- Ease of climbing ( I am old)
    4- Weight rating ( Would prefer one rated at 300lbs)
    5- Type of hunting ( Both bow and gun)

thanks

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    My favorite all around heavy duty climber is the API Grand Slam (Apparently the older version). The one in the picture is the version. For durability, ease of deployment, sturdiness in the tree, and traveling, I doubt there is a better one.

iu

I do have two Summits Vipers as well. The comfort of them is hard to beat, but they are bulky (they don't collapse as well as the should). And a little heavier than they should be.

Climbing is climbing. You're either too old or you're not. Both the API and the Summit are pretty equal as that goes; but I give the API's the edge on that. I can get up quicker and more quietly with the API's.

I climb EVERYDAY during deer season. And high too! But, I leave the stands in the woods in the areas that I have pre-chosen. So I really only need to move them a few times per season.

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    West Fel.
    I have the summit viper classic and summit razor sd. The aluminum frame razor is much easier to pack around, but I generally leave them in woods the entire season once I locate a good area. I bow and gun hunt out of them. The summit bow holder is a nice accessory to have. Best prices I found when I bought my stands was on eBay with free shipping. Both have comfortable seating and back rests. The foot hooks feel flimsy, but have held up fine after years exposed to the elements. Definitely buy a more comfortable and easier to attach safety harness if you don't already have one.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Just FYI, current API stands are not the same quality as the older ones.

Production was moved to China several years back and quality has declined significantly.

Previously they were a LA company.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I have the classic Oleman, but will be upgrading to the barebones Lone Wolf, I believe it's less than 7 lbs, and is focused heavily on the bow hunter humping it in deep and thick woods.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Thanks for the information, aluminum while a little more expensive is probably where I would like to be in terms of weight. On our lease I have the ability to leave the stand in an area, however I do hunt some public land and leaving the stand is not as likely.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Thanks for the information, aluminum while a little more expensive is probably where I would like to be in terms of weight. On our lease I have the ability to leave the stand in an area, however I do hunt some public land and leaving the stand is not as likely.

And illegal if on WMA's. ;)

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Yea its a tad risky, if you have ever hunted there though the palmettos are so big you could hide a tank in there. Hunted a stand last year all day and had no idea 2 bears where bedded down less than 40 yards away until they got up and yawned before walking off.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yea its a tad risky, if you have ever hunted there though the palmettos are so big you could hide a tank in there. Hunted a stand last year all day and had no idea 2 bears where bedded down less than 40 yards away until they got up and yawned before walking off.

That's funny! Here is a view of one of my trails where I hunt. ;)
    iu

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have an API Grandslam and a Summit Goliath. To be honest I like them both.
    On both I cut away the seat and wrapped a net similar to the Ol' Man seats.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've never had a climber out of the box that didn't need to be modified in some way shape or form! :D

My buddies and I refer to it as "Tuning them up!" ;)

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Lone Wolf sit and climb if you can swing the cash for it. Set it up with a Hazmore seat for bow hunting and use the padded seat during gun season. That's the seat set-up I use in the old style Summit Cobra. Works pretty well.

FWIW, 4 mi is a long hike with a climber and gear so watch the weight of the stand. A few extra pounds in stand weight adds up over the miles.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    That sit n climb is an interesting stand, I had never seen one before and just watched an instructional video on it. A little pricey, however not our of the range of possibilities. After all according to my wife our deer meat is already $300 lb. :mamoru:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Aaaaaand I just scored the Lone Wolf Alpha hand Climber. Best purchase I've made in a LONG TIME. Silent up the tree, ridiculously light, and highly portable. Never looking back on the lounge chairs, I'm there to hunt and kill!

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I've never used a climber but am interested in doing so. I've heard that Summit is easier to learn on and Lone Wolf is better for more advanced users. Do you agree?

Important considerations for me (in order of importance):
    1. Ease of use for a newby;
    2. Weight (I'll be backpacking across WMA lands);
    3. Comfort.

Sherpa has a cool product line that turns your climber into a game cart. Has anyone used these?
    http://sherpahunting.com/products.html

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I ended up purchasing a Summit Viper SD. Weighs 20lbs and climbing with it is simple and easy (for me). It is a fairly stable stand but not as stable a say an Ole man stand made of steel. It has the noise dampning feature that deadens the sound of the aluminum fairly well. I have only sat in it for an hour so far so cannot give a review on comfort yet. This week and weekend I will be spending son extended time in it and will post more on comfort next week

- - - Updated - - -

I ended up purchasing a Summit Viper SD. Weighs 20lbs and climbing with it is simple and easy (for me). It is a fairly stable stand but not as stable a say an Ole man stand made of steel. It has the noise dampning feature that deadens the sound of the aluminum fairly well. I have only sat in it for an hour so far so cannot give a review on comfort yet. This week and weekend I will be spending some extended time in it and will post more on comfort next week

Top Bottom