Good rear sight pusher?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I’m looking for a good rear sight pusher mainly for Glocks but wouldn’t mind the ability to also be able to use one with other firearms.

Can anyone recommend a good one that will do what it’s supposed to do and last without breaking the bank too much?

I’ve used a brass punches in the past but figured i should probably invest in the proper tool.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have used the MGW on Glocks several hundred times and it still works like new.
    I also have the adapter for the slim frame models.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Thanks for the responses. So the MGW is the one Glock actually recommends in their armors course according to what I just read. I will likely go with the MGW but am tempted to try the real avid one just to be able to use it on a wider variety of firearms.

Edit: wow I just watched a review on the real avid master sight pusher. It looks really nice and well built. I may give that one a try instead. Decisions, decisions

Last edited:

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    The only negative of the Real Avid one, is the amount of adjustments and crap that above the slide makes it really dark in the area you need to monitor for sight engagement by the pusher, and then subsequently the alignment of the rear sight in exactly the center. I use a small flashlight to point in there when I use it. It uses four independent holders on the sides of the slide to center it and hold it from moving. Once you put the rear sight in, to check for perfect alignment you have to unscrew them all (and the top one that pushes down) to bring the slide back out of the device to see it from the top. The MGW unit is just one screw and it releases, you pull it out, inspect it, and slide it back in for more adjustment.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have both the MGW slant side and straight side for Glock. I made a wood block to use with the G43 before there was an adaptor (or before I saw it). The straight side is useful for the larger adjustable Dawson sights. Can't go wrong with these as long as all you need is Glock fit.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    That doesn’t look bad at first glance. How’s it built? Does it seem sturdy and like it’s built to last?

I’ve had mine going on 5 years. I’ve used it quite a bit and also loaned it to friends and coworkers. It has always performed well and I’ve had no issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gunnut

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    PA
    ^^^^^^^^
    I have one of these also for about 5 years now, has worked out very well.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Anyone using one of the Wheeler Sight Tools?
    Wheeler Sight Tool_MGW

View attachment 134489
    I have a MGW Range Master that’s worked well for me but after using the Wheeler I wound up buying one. Very precise. Looks a little over the top at first but there’s zero struggle doing front or rear on anything dovetail.

Wheeler Engineering Armorer's Handgun Sight Tool with Heavy-Duty Construction and Reversible Assembly for Handguns, Gunsmithing and Maintenance https://a.co/d/iOoBBOa

Attachments

• 627F54FF-FF62-44BA-A6A7-F68542E04D20.png
      627F54FF-FF62-44BA-A6A7-F68542E04D20.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 39

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    That doesn’t look bad at first glance. How’s it built? Does it seem sturdy and like it’s built to last?
    I've got that exact one that I don't need anymore (impulse bought the Wheeler one Mag just referenced a couple months back). Been using the Vism one for years and it works awesome. I'll trade you for a couple boxes of ammo or something like that if you want it.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I had a chance to handle one of the Wheeler Sight Pushers. That thing is a beast. I can imagine it not being able to handle any dove tail sight job.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I had a chance to handle one of the Wheeler Sight Pushers. That thing is a beast. I can imagine it not being able to handle any dove tail sight job.
    Had a guy bring me one of the old Jericho 9mm pistols a while back that had a badly buggered up sight and he and another buddy had tried everything to drift it out, including a brass punch and mallet after failing with a poorly fitting sight tool. The wheeler made an easy job of it. So much so that I kind of doubted that they’d been pushing it the right direction… which he swore was not true, but there were marks on both sides of the sight so…

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    John1994
    Top Bottom