Good scope for a Ruger Scout Rifle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Have a Ruger Scout Rifle coming in Monday. Not looking to use the forward mount rails on it. Want to use the classic mount. I know I need to get some rings for it too. Will be shooting between 50-200 yards with it mainly. One thing I don't have a ton of knowledge with in guns are scopes. Any help is appreciated. Looking to spend between $300-400

Last edited:

BlackStallion

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I recommend leupold. If money I'd tight red field is a nice choice as well. The company is owned by leupold and their glass it pretty damn good. The scope itself just doesn't look as pretty.

ppland

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    ville platte
    Dave, i got a gunsight scout last fall, put a burris fullfield II 3x9x40 on the the rear sight mounts fer bout $180 ish. I love it! I not rich so it's the best scope i ever owned on the best gun i ever owned. nice clear glass and gathers mucho light.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Dave, i got a gunsight scout last fall, put a burris fullfield II 3x9x40 on the the rear sight mounts fer bout $180 ish. I love it! I not rich so it's the best scope i ever owned on the best gun i ever owned. nice clear glass and gathers mucho light.

I have the same scope on a Savage 111 FCNS. It's a good inexpensive scope. I also have a Redfield on a Handi Rifle in .45-70; it's been a good scope too (2-7x33mm).

Scope rings are way important. The Ruger Scope Rings are actually pretty good. I have a set in my tool box that came with one of Ruger's Frontier Scout Rifles which I could never get the screws out (too tight) I kept tearing up torx bits so I gave up. I don't think that's the norm. I'd recommend staying with them since the receiver is already set up for it. I can send you the set I have, but you'll need to get a smith to break them loose for you. PM me if interested.

I have Weaver rail and Weaver 4-Hole Skeleton Rings on the Savage ( http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/rings/four_hole_skeleton_ring/ ). They are ugly, but work good.... never had them loosen.

Whatever you get, you want something beefy and well made. I had some cheap rings and they've cost me some venison. I actually have some cheaper ones on that Handi Rifle that I need to replace, but I check the torque every time before I take it to the camp and they always seem to need a little tightening before the start of the season.... Sometimes more often. I'll never buy cheap ones again. They don't have to be $100 rings, but not $15 rings.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Good info guys. Thanks! I am more looking into a rear mount site. I haven't ruled out the front mount, but for my purposes I want a rear.

Top Bottom