Got a problem with a Maadi

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    A friend of mine picked this Maadi up built on a NODAK receiver. I do not know who built it. Looks decent with a few rivit flaws, but it has a major problem. After about the 5th or 6th shot, it's blowing the firing pin out of the bolt. It also seems to be mushing up the tip of the firing pin. I'm boggled. Could this be a headspacing issue?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Well, I dug around in the backyard where we were shooting yesterday and was about to give up, then I found these!

Deep Primer Strike

Primer Blown Completely through

Also, here's a pic of the first firing pin. Not sure which way it is coming out. It's always found inside the receiver.

I have no idea what the primers indicate, does this mean it's a headspacing prob? The ammo has been a mixture of wolf and monarch. We've fired about a thousand rounds of this stuff in the last month out of all of our Saigas and haven't had any problems except on the Maadi.

Also, after talking a bit about how you would go about fixing a problem, I remarked that I didn't even have all the tools to press bbls and realized that I do. This is embarrassing because I now remember making a deal on a tool with someone last time he was in town for a build. PM inbound Bam.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I'm gonna say that you have too much firing pin protrusion. I dont know the specs on an ak, but average centerfire rifle has fp protrusion of .052 to .064. Any more and you will start piercing primers, which forced gas outward, blowing back the firing pin and eroding the firing pin face. You have probably been slamming the firing pin back and shearing the retaining pin.

CHances are the pierced primers have eroded the firing pin hole but maybe not. Put a new firing pin in and see if there is too much clearance between the hole and the pin. If so, get a new bolt, which is what I would do anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cherry-Bandit
    Top Bottom