Grinder 4.5" what brand and power level.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Mosly grind welds, cut sheet metal, and gring down welds om sheet metal. Used in conjunction with drilling out spot welds.
    After cutting spot welds need grinding them flat. Maybe some light metal cutting of smaller size merals with cut off (wheel death wheel)
    My old ones are, really rough but still work. But looking for new as these are on deaths door

Thanks for input on what brand will treat me good

Last edited:

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Just bought a milwaukee. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Needed a drill and it was just a few bucks more to get the grinder and a couple batteries with it as a package deal.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Milwaukee, Matabo (Makita) Dewalt.

Always get the highest amp rating. 7amp vs 4amp.

When buying combo kits,beware they usually put the low amp tools in them

Buy once ..Cry once

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    At one time I had 3 when I was building my race car. One with a grinding wheel, one with a sanding wheel and one with a wire wheel. One I bought from Big Lots for $20, one from Harbor Freight for $20 and a Mikita from Home Depot for $90. The two $20 ones are still going strong, the Mikita is long gone. Suggestion, whatever you buy get a threaded 5/8 shaft that can use wheels with built in 5/8 thread, also a lock button is handy when changing wheels, no tools needed. You can also buy 5/8 adapters that screw on to whatever the shaft thread is.

Last edited:

Peterpaul227

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Northshore
    I have been using dewalt 4.5” angle grinders my entire working life if you don’t bash them, drop them on the floor blade first and don’t hit them on anything to get the blade off they will last along time I have a dewalt d28402 that’s the standard angle grinder for fitters and welders in my industry for about the last 20 yrs .

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a Bosch 10 amp and I just finished grinding mastic and grout off and entire 1800 sq foot house for a flooring change. Thing is a beast.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’m a fan of the Harbor freight variety when it comes to side grinders. That type of tool will see a ton of abuse if you do any welding. I prefer the larger ones but I do own a couple of 4 or 4.5 inch that cost me nearly nothing and are still getting the job done. I had a makita but it gave up the ghost.
    That being said, if you weld at home, a decent 15 inch chop saw is a smart investment. Your speed and quality of work will improve overnight.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Ive flipped the switch on 4.5" grinders. The grinding dust is was eats them up no matter what brand.. I buy the small cheap ones 4-5 at a time from Northern, HF, etc when they are on sale and since I dont use the small ones for serious grinding they last about a year or two. This also allows me to keep one with a cut off blade, brush, grinding wheel, flap disk, etc.
    I do have a cordless dewalt that came in a tool package and it ok, short battery life though but it is handy for a quick job.
    If I need to do serious grinding My 7.5 and 9" grinders are all Milwaukie and yes they last. Metabo is pretty heavy duty too.

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    I like multiple 4.5" HF cheapos too - one for each type of cut, grind, flap or brush, etc to keep from changing wheels. Convenient and disposable. Best choose a paddle or trigger switch far away from the wheel. I like cordless for convenience but not heavy use. I have 2 DeWalt 18v that died. For heavy duty, I like the Milwaukee 7.5"- very big & heavy - I call it my Two Man Grinder. I have 2 Bosch 4.5" 10A, one w/ a lock on paddle switch & one w/ slide switch near the wheel. Good power, but don't like to use the slide switch model - poor safety design.

Stonehenge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2016
    Slaughter
    I've been abusing my old ryobi for about 16 years, I weld all the time and dont have a chop saw, so my grinder does that duty. I like the rotating handle and trigger. Makes it easy to do long straight cuts. With the blade flipped up sideways it just pulls itself along. Flap disks and wire cups are really hard on grinders but I've been through hundreds of each with it. I do like the little flappy paddle dewalts though for its small size.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom