Gun belt size?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    1.5", that extra 1/4" makes a huge difference, and is pretty much the standard for holster designers. Any bigger than 1.5" and you start having issues with most pants.

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    East Texas
    Damn, another stereotype slain. I thought everybody in Louisiana kept their pants up with a piece of rope. ;)

As stated above, 1.5" is the ideal general-use width. Most holsters are made for it, and it works equally well with jeans and most suit pants. 1.25" can work, but not as well. If you need something a little more dressy with a suit, you can get a 1.5" belt that tapers down to 1.25" or 1" near the buckle.

Doublethickness is good on a leather belt, but also look at how it's constructed. Quality makers like Sparks tend to skive down the edges on the outside piece. This makes it a lot harder for the belt to roll over from the weight of the holster and accessories. That'll give a much more stable platform, and be more comfortable to boot.

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Damn, another stereotype slain. I thought everybody in Louisiana kept their pants up with a piece of rope. ;)

I know a guy who used to keep them up with an extension cord.

I'll agree with 1.5". I've got one from 5.11 that works great, feels great, holds everything up and fits all the pants I own. I read the Wilderness Instructor is a good 1.5" too. Those are if you're ok with Nylon.

Mouthpiece

Attorney
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    New Orleans
    I order my belts from Mitch Rosen, who has a style belt that is 1.5" that tapers down to 1.25" in the front. I can (and do) wear it with either a suit or jacket and slacks. The tapered end doesn't stand out in the front and the holster is attached to the 1.5" section.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I know a guy who used to keep them up with an extension cord.

I'll agree with 1.5". I've got one from 5.11 that works great, feels great, holds everything up and fits all the pants I own. I read the Wilderness Instructor is a good 1.5" too. Those are if you're ok with Nylon.

I have both. Once you use the Instructor, the 5.11 will just sit in a closet and never get used, or at least that is how it worked in my case.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La

As stated above, 1.5" is the ideal general-use width. Most holsters are made for it, and it works equally well with jeans and most suit pants. 1.25" can work, but not as well. If you need something a little more dressy with a suit, you can get a 1.5" belt that tapers down to 1.25" or 1" near the buckle.

Doublethickness is good on a leather belt, but also look at how it's constructed. Quality makers like Sparks tend to skive down the edges on the outside piece. This makes it a lot harder for the belt to roll over from the weight of the holster and accessories. That'll give a much more stable platform, and be more comfortable to boot.

Since you are from Texas, you'll love this one...

rlcompanyusa_2072_26037652

Made by Tucker

1/2 Ranger Belt is shown above.

Full Ranger starts at $140. Stamping is $90 extra. You provide the buckle set first - must be 3/4" wide and accommodate a belt 1/4" thick.

Also available as less bulky Half Ranger (Shown), Starting at $110. Same applies on customer providing the buckle set. Call for details.

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    +1 for the Wilderness 5 stitch. I have 1.5 and 1.75, but the larger size will not fit some of my holster slots.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom