Gun bills - HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES Committee on Administration of Criminal Justice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
    Committee on Administration of Criminal Justice
    Tuesday, May 16, 2023
    Committee Room 6
    9:00 a.m
    HB 131 MCCORMICK WEAPONS/HANDGUNS Provides relative to the
    concealed carrying of firearm

HB 175 BOYD WEAPONS/FIREARMS Prohibits carrying
    firearms into hospitals and mental health facilities

HB 234 FONTENOT WEAPONS/HANDGUNS Provides relative to the
    concealed carrying of firearms

HB 284 MARINO WEAPONS/FIREARMS Provides relative to the
    crime of possession of a firearm by a person convicted
    of certain felonies

HB 299 MCCORMICK WEAPONS/FIREARMS Provides relative to
    enforcement of federal firearm laws

HB 464 FONTENOT WEAPONS/FIREARMS Provides relative to
    possession of a firearm by a felon

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Anyone attend the hearings today? Any outbrief on why McCormick’s bills weren’t heard? Postponed?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Anyone attend the hearings today? Any outbrief on why McCormick’s bills weren’t heard? Postponed?
    They temporarily adjourned to attend House business. They came back after and considered all of the Bills on the agenda.

It was the perfect example of why so many citizens don't attend these Committee Meetings.
    I watched on the Webcam.
    Meeting stated late; 9:15
    They considered 2 (completely unnecessary) abortion Bills for almost 4 hours. Knowing full well they didn't have a snowballs chance in a foundry of passing, but they wasted EVERYONE'S time and played out that dog and pony BS anyway.
    They considered 3 other weapons related Bills for another 2 hours.
    Then adjourned. This is when I bailed too.
    I imagine they were in the House Chamber for another few hours, and then re-convened.
    I have no idea when they got finished, but I would bet it was after 6:00pm.

Normal people don't have time to sit up there for an entire day waiting to testify or worse; just sit there and watch certain Bills go through the process. The room was packed at first, then slowly started emptying out as it became clear, the weapons Bills that everyone was there for were going to be handled last. Send thanks to the LSA, NRA, and Pro-gun attorneys for attending; they were up there all day too.

The number of cards for and against for each early Bill was low.

If they organized this meeting to dwindle down the number of people in that room that were going to want to get up there and drone on and on; they did a masterful job. Other than that, complete waste of people's time.

That's why I no longer go!

If they gave a sh*t, they would schedule those gun Bills first thing and knock them all out in a row.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    From the Louisiana Legislative site:

HB 131 MCCORMICK WEAPONS/HANDGUNS Provides relative to the
    concealed carrying of firearm
    Reported with amendments (8-1) - goes to House floor.

HB 234 FONTENOT WEAPONS/HANDGUNS Provides relative to the
    concealed carrying of firearms
    Current Status: Pending House Administration of Criminal Justice - Sched. for 5/16/23; looks like it wasn't heard on 5/16

HB 284 MARINO WEAPONS/FIREARMS Provides relative to the
    crime of possession of a firearm by a person convicted
    of certain felonies
    This was heard in Committee, but the record does not indicate what happened

HB 299 MCCORMICK WEAPONS/FIREARMS Provides relative to
    enforcement of federal firearm laws
    Involuntarily deferred

HB 464 FONTENOT WEAPONS/FIREARMS Provides relative to
    possession of a firearm by a felon
    Reported favorably (10-3) - goes to House floor.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    As I have it as of the afternoon of 05-17. Been to the capital. Watched the House videos of the proceedings. Haven't got around to watching the Senate videos yet. Also updates through the Louisiana Shooting Association. https://louisianashooting.com/category/shooting-safety/

My take is that we are on a winning streak. HB131 is the permitless/Consistutional carry bill. It made it out of committee and is waiting for the House to take action. SB212 is the Red Flag bill which has been voluntarily deferred which means it can come back but for the moment is dead in the water.

The pulse of the House committee I'm getting is that they have no intention of restricting our 2A rights. A real concern is Glock switches and auto sears. DA Hillar Moore stated on 05-16 that he has 140 to 160 machine gun cases pending and getting another two or three a week. HB331 that passed unanimously in the committee, would update Louisiana law concerning illegal possession of machine guns to match federal law. The original law was written in 1932, two years before the 1934 NFA, with no updates since.

HB38 Provides relative to the carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers.
    Pending House floor action Substitute adopted on the House floor. Became HB660

HB96 Provides relative to penalties and responsive verdicts for negligent homicide.
    Failed House final passage

HB131 Provides relative to the concealed carrying of firearms.
    Pending House floor action Pending Senate Revenue and Fiscal Affairs

HB175 Prohibits carrying firearms into hospitals and mental health facilities.
    Involuntarily deferred in House Administration of Criminal Justice

HB234 Provides relative to the concealed carrying of firearms.
    Pending House Administration of Criminal Justice

HB247 Establishes a tax credit for purchases of firearm safety devices
    Pending House floor action Sent to Governor

HB284 Provides relative to the crime of possession of a firearm by a person convicted of certain felonies.
    Pending House Administration of Criminal Justice (This bill was heard 05-16. Video of the proceedings showed a vote of 4 yeas and 8 nays and failed to pass out of committee)

HB299 Provides relative to enforcement of federal firearm laws.
    Involuntarily deferred in House Administration of Criminal Justice

HB318 Provides relative to automatic weapons.

HB331 Provides relative to automatic weapons.
    Pending House final passage Sent to Governor

HB446 Provides relative to online handgun education course curriculum.
    Pending House floor action Adopted in House concurrence

HB464 Provides relative to possession of a firearm by a felon
    Pending House floor action Pending in Conference Committee (House)

HB536 Provides relative to the illegal possession of stolen firearms

HB660 Provides relative to the carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers.
    Adopted in House concurrence

SB56 Reinstates the Second Amendment sales tax holiday.
    Pending House Ways and Means Signed by the President

SB130 Authorizes retired law enforcement officers and retired elected law enforcement department heads to carry concealed firearms if POST certified at the time of retirement.
    Pending House Administration of Criminal Justice Sent to Governor

SB158 Provides for the protection of schools.
    Pending Senate Education

SB165 Prohibits the possession of an unidentifiable firearm.
    Pending Senate Judiciary C

SB212 Provides for the seizure of firearms from persons who pose a risk of imminent injury to self or others.
    Pending Senate Judiciary C (Bill was heard 05-02 where the bill was voluntarily deferred.)

SB216 Provides for liability for damages caused by a firearm stolen from a vehicle and used in the commission of a felony.
    Pending Senate Judiciary A

Last edited:

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Sooooo, what are our chances now? I think, 4th time is the charm. Anyware but Louisiana it would only be 3 tries but here in the 3rd world, well, ya'll know what I mean.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Looks like the RINOs and Democrats killed this in the Senate. Even House members stabbed us in the back.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Posted on the other topic also, but just got this email form Danny McCormick

My Friends,

This is a very painful email to write. I don’t think I can properly express the disappointment and, well, anger I have at the shenanigans politicians played with your right to keep and bear arms.

So, I guess the best way is to list the Good, the Bad and the extremely Ugly.

Let’s start with the Good- House Bill 131, my Constitutional Carry Bill, passed through the State House of Representatives fast and intact. Efforts to water down the Bill failed and I really had high hopes that politicians in Baton Rouge finally realized that the people demand their right to bear arms be restored… without paying another tax or begging permission to carry a firearm for self- defense.

However, looking back on it, I am pretty convinced this was because ‘leadership’ knew what the State Senate was about to do. In fact, later events in the House proved this.

Next, the Bad- As soon as Constitutional Carry hit the State Senate, Senators began to gut it. Here are just a few of the changes these anti-gunners stuffed into Constitutional Carry-
    • Created a second-class citizenship, which is unconstitutional under the 14thAmendment, changing the age to exercise the 2nd Amendment from 18 to 21.
    • Put hamstrings on where and how the people could bear arms.
    • Demanded that anyone who carries also carry a Government issued ID at all times. So, if you had left your wallet or purse in your car, well, felony charges would follow.
    • Forced law-abiding citizens, who have committed no crime, to inform law enforcement if they are carrying, creating a tense and dangerous situation with any interaction with police officers.
    • And the list goes on, clearly infringing on your Right to Keep and Bear Arms as the 2nd Amendment demands.
    Finally, the Ugly- Realizing the State Senate was not going to pass Constitutional Carry, but rather some watered down, crumb from their table, I was forced to pull my Bill. The last thing I want to see is a bunch of anti-gun politicians crowing about how they passed ‘Constitutional Carry’, when in fact all they did was place more infringements on your rights as protected by the 2nd Amendment.

But it gets worse.

Realizing that the State Senate was bowing to the Governor and his anti-gun agenda, I had a final play to make. The State Senate had already passed Senate Bill 130. This Bill gives retired law enforcement officers Constitutional Carry, but not you and me.

So, when Senate Bill 130 came up in the State House, I moved to amend it to change it from just retired law enforcement officers to all law-abiding people in the State of Louisiana.

This is where it really got Ugly.

Teaming with the anti-gunners, State Representatives and even the Speaker of the House refused to allow even a vote on this amendment. Clearly, they were happy to allow the State Senate to amend and gut Constitutional Carry, but not allow me to amend a State Senate Bill to force the passage of Constitutional Carry in Louisiana!

If you don’t believe, please click on this link to watch the anti-gunners declare my amendment not ‘germane.’ This means they claimed that my amendment had nothing to do with the bill! Really? Their Bill gave only a special class of people Constitutional Carry while my amendment would make it apply to all law-abiding citizens as the Constitution requires.

This was the last chance to pass true Constitutional Carry and these anti-gun politicians showed that they really didn’t support the 2nd Amendment. Even more, this showed that their previous vote to pass it was nothing more that grandstanding for votes in the upcoming State Election.

You just can’t make this stuff up.

So where do we go from here? Simple. The State Election is just around the corner and groups such as LiberTea Pac will be exposing the anti-gun agenda of those State Representatives and Senators who bowed to the Governor and worked to further infringe your God-given Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Whether Constitutional Carry ever passes in Louisiana depends on the make up of the State Legislature. If you are as dedicated as I am to restore the 2nd Amendment in Louisiana, please click here to donate to LiberTea Pac so that they can expose the anti-gun schemes in Baton Rouge.

As for me, I am even more committed to fighting to pass Constitutional Carry and not let politicians stand in the way.

747086f2-fda0-65b4-2a25-68038d675d04.jpg

I knew this would be a hard fight, but I never knew how ugly the back door deals and the schemes would be.

But with your help, and the help of other patriots in our Great State, we can and will eliminate the unconstitutional infringements these politicians have shackled on your 2nd Amendment.

The fight has just begun.

In Liberty,

8007ef5b-99eb-582e-5243-371f5c22fcda.png

Top Bottom