Gun Question - Age Requirements

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woopazz403

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Gonzales
    Got another one for yall. A carbine that shoots pistol ammo is considered a rifle or pistol? Age required to buy from a dealer? Thanks

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    It would be considered a rifle. A carbine is i rifle with a shorter barrel, 18" I think. I have a Marlin 44mag. It is a rifle. And I am pretty sure a carbine is still considered a rifle, just a rifle with a shorter barrel.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    The ammo it shoots does not make it a pistol or rifle.

A Sig Mosquito or Walther P22 that shoots .22LR "long rifle" is still a pistol. A tommy gun that shoots .45 ACP is a rifle.

It's all about barrel length, overall length, designed to be used with one or two hands, etc.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    If you thought that was a hum-dinger, what do you think of those pistols that shoot 5.56 ammo? :O :O :O

:D

Yea, what others said. Ammo is not the considering. What makes a pistol is the typically one-handed design and lack of butt stock, a rifled barrel, and physical characteristics like that. A rifle is a rifle because it's got a rifled barrel, a shoulder stock that makes it readily shoulderable, an overall length and a barrel over a certain length, and that sort of thing.

Mac204

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    CenLa
    Yea, what others said. Ammo is not the considering. What makes a pistol is the typically one-handed design and lack of butt stock, a rifled barrel, and physical characteristics like that. A rifle is a rifle because it's got a rifled barrel, a shoulder stock that makes it readily shoulderable, an overall length and a barrel over a certain length, and that sort of thing.

Pistols have rifled barrels......:rolleyes:

mb504

Better than Cheese
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    New Orleans
    The interesting part would be buying a carbine in a pistol caliber, then not being able to buy ammo for it at a lot of places.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    What makes a pistol is the typically one-handed design and lack of butt stock, a rifled barrel, and physical characteristics like that. A rifle is a rifle because it's got a rifled barrel, .

Pistols have rifled barrels......:rolleyes:

I think you misread my post.

That's pretty much how I read it too.
    bk.gif

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Oh well.

Not what I meant. I'll go back to picking up those grammar books so I can learn to write a proper comma delineated list.

Intended:
    Pistol is a pistol because it has a:
    1) lack of shoulder stock
    2) rifled barrel
    ..etc

What you apparently read:
    Pistol is a pistol because it has a lack of:
    1) shoulder stock
    2) rifled barrel

I'll be clearer next time. ;)

Sieg Heil, Herr Grammarian!

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You listed "rifled barrel" for both, which is true. However when you are trying to point out what makes one different than the other it's confusing. Starting your pistol list with "lack of" is what threw off Mac204 I think.

But back to the OP, what Speedracer said. Caliber of the round is not the determining factor for a pistol/rifle.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Oh well.

Not what I meant. I'll go back to picking up those grammar books so I can learn to write a proper comma delineated list.

Intended:
    Pistol is a pistol because it has a:
    1) lack of shoulder stock
    2) rifled barrel
    ..etc

What you apparently read:
    Pistol is a pistol because it has a lack of:
    1) shoulder stock
    2) rifled barrel

I'll be clearer next time. ;)

Sieg Heil, Herr Grammarian!

It matters when communicating.
    :o

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    My pistols have this swirly-looking groove thingamajig inside the barrel....

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    You musta bought the psychodelic edition. Mine are straight, smooth, and pristine!

Damn hippy guns!

Looked down my Glock 21 barrel while cleaning it (DIASSEMBLED OF COURSE) the other day and moved one end of the barrel in a circle. Blacked out for four hours. :o

:D

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Got another one for yall. A carbine that shoots pistol ammo is considered a rifle or pistol? Age required to buy from a dealer? Thanks

It's a rifle. The difference between a rifle and a pistol is the presence of a shoulder stock, not the cartridge it fires. Don't know how it is now, but there was a time not so long ago that a dealer could sell handgun ammo to an 18 year old if he reasonably believed that it would be used in a rifle.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Whats really funny is that you can buy it because it's a rifle, but cant buy ammo for it because you have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo. :D

But is it pistol ammo if it never goes into a pistol? At what point is the ammunition considered "pistol"?

Of course, you could just go to wal-mart, where the clerks always look at you with a bewildered stare and ask, "This be pistol burrets?" To which, you respond, "No."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom