Gunsmith in and around Baton Rouge or just anywhere really?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atonguis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Central, LA
    Hello fellow shooters,
    I am looking to build from scratch or re-home like a 30-06 or something to .35 Whelen. I repair a lot of firearms for friends and such but know my limitations and I am not so sure I am confident enough to line up bore and chamber not to mention I really do not have the proper equipment. I have always wanted to take classes and learn more just for my knowledge but will gladly send out work to competent gunsmiths if I know any. I have found some parts I can order and really like the looks of the Shaw custom rifles but the wait time of 6+ months is a little long not to mention they only offer a 1:14 twist rate and I really want a 1:12 or 1:10 twist to shoot some long custom bullets.

atonguis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Central, LA
    Meaux Guns on Mammoth Dr in BR. https://www.meauxguns.com/
    Well I called Meaux Guns and they told me they were not interested in doing that kind of work..... I was like well ok then, mental note never call them again or recommend them to anyone. The guy said we are capable of doing that just not interested in it, so I asked him about just putting an already made barrel on and just lining it up. He asked somebody that question and then told me I should think about buying an already factory made .35 whelen ready to go. I told him I would love that but they haven't been made in like 18 years..... he said oh!

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I messaged Reulet Gunworks and he messaged me back saying that kind of work is what he does and would be happy to help me with that, either build one from ground up or re-barrel. I was like alright, so I will call him next week....
    Was that before or after Meaux Guns wonderful interaction ?

TonyAngel

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I called Ruelet today about getting a couple of muzzle devices welded. I told them that the muzzle devices were already torqued and timed, barrels dimpled and the pins were already made ready to be welded over. Essentially, all I needed was about 2 minutes of welding done. I was quoted $70 each. I thought that was a bit excessive.

Old Bubba

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    BRLA
    I called Ruelet today about getting a couple of muzzle devices welded. I told them that the muzzle devices were already torqued and timed, barrels dimpled and the pins were already made ready to be welded over. Essentially, all I needed was about 2 minutes of welding done. I was quoted $70 each. I thought that was a bit excessive.
    Well I suggest you go buy a little tig/mig welder and do it yourself. (don't you just love guys that don't want to pay an expert for his work) :fawk:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Well I suggest you go buy a little tig/mig welder and do it yourself. (don't you just love guys that don't want to pay an expert for his work) :fawk:
    uhhhh lol $70 is very excessive..... all they had to do was touch it with the tig... lol thats crazy!!! especially if you had a few lined up for him... and he aint no expert just striking a tungsten tip on a pin and removing it lol.... he aint no coded welder running a bead to be xrayed and even if he was he wouldnt be making $70 an hour even as a combo welder...

reminds me of the jokesters at Jims one time, spoke to my good buddy up there who i always deal with and knows me by name... he called his gunsmith prob one of the "experts" you speak of... needed a 8-40 screw for one of my lever gun mounts... he said sure, took the gun to the back to make sure he had the right length even though i told him what i wanted... came back in 3 mins and handed it to me, with a ticked $56.00 ... $50 labor fee and $6 for the screw... i thought they was joking... Haa experts....

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    This has nothing to do with Reulet, I like the guy and his work. But a general business observation.

I learned long ago from a successful businessman, if people stop coming, your prices are too high or not competitive. If you have too much business and cant get to it all, raise the prices till demand slows down. With a 8-10 week backlog prices are accurate, or need to be raised.

TonyAngel

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Wow, nice. All I was suggesting was that atonguis inquire about the cost because it might wind up costing a good bit more than he thought it would.

In response to the personal attack, no, I'm not an expert welder, but I can certainly weld over a 1/16" blind hole. I'm displaced right now and don't have access to the equipment. I would have gladly tossed the guy $100 for what would have taken him 5 minutes to do, considering that all of the hard stuff has already been done.

Old Bubba

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    BRLA
    Wow, nice. All I was suggesting was that atonguis inquire about the cost because it might wind up costing a good bit more than he thought it would.

In response to the personal attack, no, I'm not an expert welder, but I can certainly weld over a 1/16" blind hole. I'm displaced right now and don't have access to the equipment. I would have gladly tossed the guy $100 for what would have taken him 5 minutes to do, considering that all of the hard stuff has already been done.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    This has nothing to do with Reulet, I like the guy and his work. But a general business observation.

I learned long ago from a successful businessman, if people stop coming, your prices are too high or not competitive. If you have too much business and cant get to it all, raise the prices till demand slows down. With a 8-10 week backlog prices are accurate, or need to be raised.

And there you have it, Advanced Laser's operational business model. If he is swamped, you're gonna pay dearly for work he executes for you. A $50 job might cost you $75, BC he can.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    When a business "charges to much" for "something simple" it means they really don't want to do it, for whatever reason, but if you want him to do it....then that's what it will cost you.

If the guy has an 8 week back log then there is your answer.

Tactitools and blanket statements... Welcome to Bayoushooter.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    reminds me of the jokesters at Jims one time, spoke to my good buddy up there who i always deal with and knows me by name... he called his gunsmith prob one of the "experts" you speak of... needed a 8-40 screw for one of my lever gun mounts... he said sure, took the gun to the back to make sure he had the right length even though i told him what i wanted... came back in 3 mins and handed it to me, with a ticked $56.00 ... $50 labor fee and $6 for the screw... i thought they was joking... Haa experts....
    Yeah, that is crazy. I'd a told him to keep his screw and no thanks. That's straight up robbery. $50 for labor and $6 for a screw that might have cost him 25 cents. I could see maybe paying $3 or 4 and calling it a day. Now I know I'll never set foot in Jim's Firearms. I'd have told him while walking out of the store to take that screw and shove it up his keester.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Yeah, that is crazy. I'd a told him to keep his screw and no thanks. That's straight up robbery. $50 for labor and $6 for a screw that might have cost him 25 cents. I could see maybe paying $3 or 4 and calling it a day. Now I know I'll never set foot in Jim's Firearms. I'd have told him while walking out of the store to take that screw and shove it up his keester.
    Spoken like a true keyboard warrior. Oh my, what will he do without you ? Jesus John, how will he ever get on without the guy who cant afford minor work.

Top Bottom