Gunsmith in and around Baton Rouge or just anywhere really?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    And there you have it, Advanced Laser's operational business model. If he is swamped, you're gonna pay dearly for work he executes for you. A $50 job might cost you $75, BC he can.
    Yup. The guys who can afford the $25 bucks and want it done right will pay it. Cheep a$$es like you wont. You are no great loss dude.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Yeah, that is crazy. I'd a told him to keep his screw and no thanks. That's straight up robbery. $50 for labor and $6 for a screw that might have cost him 25 cents. I could see maybe paying $3 or 4 and calling it a day. Now I know I'll never set foot in Jim's Firearms. I'd have told him while walking out of the store to take that screw and shove it up his keester.
    right... i had dealt with my buddy on 15+ guns there after that i havent bought anything else, i still go in there and talk to him and "test drive" specific guns before i go buy them else where... lol but as old bubba says i should have just paid the " expert " or done it my self.. well thats how you get repeat customers or not...

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Spoken like a true keyboard warrior. Oh my, what will he do without you ? Jesus John, how will he ever get on without the guy who cant afford minor work.
    thats the power of the keyboard commandos buddy... not suggesting it, but only takes a few commandos to start slandering your company, then anybody who searches you in google will pop up our post and make a decision weather to use you or not based on reviews, and only a few negitive post/reviews about customer service and prices will usually go viral, the world and the internet "live off of negative" just like the news and will prevail over a few " at-a-boys" every little customer counts.. yes even the ones you think " are no great loss " I have personally driven 20+ purchase away from jims from that, not to mention how many they have driven away let alone my past comments on there customer service... so you right, dont worry bout the lil fellas lol

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    thats the power of the keyboard commandos buddy... not suggesting it, but only takes a few commandos to start slandering your company, then anybody who searches you in google will pop up our post and make a decision weather to use you or not based on reviews, and only a few negitive post/reviews about customer service and prices will usually go viral, the world and the internet "live off of negative" just like the news and will prevail over a few " at-a-boys" every little customer counts.. yes even the ones you think " are no great loss "
    Guess I am lucky I have never been in that predicament then. I'd say everyone that calls and says "how long is your lead time" and I tell them I can get them in and out same day within the same week are very happy. I have no desire to keep guns, I'd rather jump on work as soon as it comes in and have zero backlog. Which I manage to do.

So although the above is a hypothetical, and dik John jumped on it cause he's grumpy, I have never had to do that.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Guess I am lucky I have never been in that predicament then. I'd say everyone that calls and says "how long is your lead time" and I tell them I can get them in and out same day within the same week are very happy. I have no desire to keep guns, I'd rather jump on work as soon as it comes in and have zero backlog. Which I manage to do.

So although the above is a hypothetical, and dik John jumped on it cause he's grumpy, I have never had to do that.
    oh i agree with you, you aint making no money holding sombodys item... dont get paid till its done... i was speaking in general about businesses and Jims specifically as an example lol ... IDK what kina beef you and him got lol:hi5:

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Nope, and they are happy to get it right back and I am happy to knock it out. I have hated in the past shipping guns off for weeks or months, especially if its a primary carry.
    Who knows. Just butthurt for some irrational slight. I'm sure it will come out.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Yup. The guys who can afford the $25 bucks and want it done right will pay it. Cheep a$$es like you wont. You are no great loss dude.
    Truth hurts eh buddy. Now you resort to personal insults which doesn't surprise me one bit given your character. Take note guys, this is the sort of man you deal with when you do business with Advanced Laser in Covington LA.

We were done when I called you about 12 months ago to engrave my F1 Ti suppressor tube and you had no clue what temperature your laser operates at, or what temp it takes to engrave/vaporize titanium. No thanks, I'll pass. Clueless operator.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    1671318723256.png

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Truth hurts eh buddy. Now you resort to personal insults which doesn't surprise me one bit given your character. Take note guys, this is the sort of man you deal with when you do business with Advanced Laser in Covington LA.

We were done when I called you about 12 months ago to engrave my F1 Ti suppressor tube and you had no clue what temperature your laser operates at, or what temp it takes to engrave/vaporize titanium. No thanks, I'll pass. Clueless operator.
    John, Not only did you never call and ask asinine questions like that, but you are right, I have no idea what temperature my laser works at. Nor would anyone but the maufacturer. We deal in speed/frequency/and power. That's literally the dumbest question someone would ask me, I'd remember it. Even more I do Ti all the time and no one who I've done it for has given a $hit what the temp is or how to vaporize it. Thats literally the dumbest thing anyone has said since I started this. You are really a weird dude.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    John, Not only did you never call and ask asinine questions like that, but you are right, I have no idea what temperature my laser works at. Nor would anyone but the maufacturer. We deal in speed/frequency/and power. That's literally the dumbest question someone would ask me, I'd remember it. Even more I do Ti all the time and no one who I've done it for has given a $hit what the temp is or how to vaporize it. Thats literally the dumbest thing anyone has said since I started this. You are really a weird dude.
    I did call you for info and a price. The proof may be still in my phone call log. It was $75 but you had no clue on temps required to engrave a Ti tube. Keep insulting me here so everyone can see what a real business professional you really are. Great job, buddy, keep it going. Show your lack of self control and discipline for all to see here.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I did call you for info and a price. The proof may be still in my phone call log. It was $75 but you had no clue on temps required to engrave a Ti tube. Keep insulting me here so everyone can see what a real business professional you really are. Great job, buddy, keep it going. Show your lack of self control and discipline for all to see here.
    You keep phone call logs for a year just to have proof of calls to people ? Thats not kinda on the strange side ?

"Lack of self control and discipline"...lol...You are weird man.

You do realize the laser beam itself doesnt generate heat, right ? Its the exposure time on the substrate with absorption rate and heat dissipation that causes the cutting, not the actual beam. You can put your hand under mine as it cuts steel and only feel a bit warm and its not the laser exactly its your skin and bones reaction to it. So although your alleged question is moronic and simple on its surface, its not even the right question to ask. The better question is, "What watt is your laser and pulse rate at full power" "is it a MOPA or YAG"

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

But you stated earlier you shoot for a backlog of work 8 to 10 weeks. Your business mantra.

"With a 8-10 week backlog prices are accurate, or need to be raised."

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    But you stated earlier you shoot for a backlog of work 8 to 10 weeks. Your business mantra.

"With a 8-10 week backlog prices are accurate, or need to be raised."
    Take a breath and go back and reread it. That was literally what a really successful businessman told me. Those were his words. I have never had a backlog over a week. Relax dude.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    You do realize the laser beam itself doesnt generate heat, right ? Its the exposure time on the substrate with absorption rate and heat dissipation that causes the cutting, not the actual beam. You can put your hand under mine as it cuts steel and only feel a bit warm and its not the laser exactly its your skin and bones reaction to it. So although your alleged question is moronic and simple on its surface, its not even the right question to ask. The better question is, "What watt is your laser and pulse rate at full power" "is it a MOPA or YAG"
    A laser does not "cut steel" or "cutting" as you describe above, it actually vaporizes the metal. There is no mechanical cutting involved with a laser engraving on a Ti or SS tube. See you still are clueless about engraving Ti with your laser (yet you own and operate an engraving business), and how it actually accomplishes the engraving. There is no cutting wheel or bit, or mechanical metal removal using a laser. Nor any tiny bits or shards of metal thrown about like a mechanical engraver. Anybody can educate themselves to some degree on laser engraving Ti, SS, or aluminum and the science behind it by googling it and reading on line documents for a couple hours. Anybody but Advanced Laser clearly. Stick to engraving cups and mugs, buddy.

Last edited:

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    We all notice you avoided commenting on the temperature of a laser beam, huh John.

Bet you use WebMd and tell your Doctor when he's diagnosing you wrong too huh ? You are "that guy" when people speak about you.

You are completely right. I had no idea about the vaporizing part. I guess my air evacuation system was just pure luck huh ? I sure have no clue about it all.

Not sure you are right about the cutting wheel or bit, my laser has a little tiny wheel that drops out of it and cuts real fast and then disappears. Its so wierd. Its magical (rolling eyes)

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I wouldn't bring a P mag to you to be engraved. Just my opinion, my choice.

I am done here. Discussion with you is pointless, and a waste of my time. Your comments here in the last 2 or 3 hours say everything. Very professional and business like.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Polymeric foaming.
    Thats the process the laser uses to change the color of Pmags. Since I have no idea what I am doing, thats prob just a lucky guess at random words. I will leave out my random knowledge on IR Irradiation of substrates converting them into a gas at 50deg C, and how it transforms the color.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana

I am done here. Discussion with you is pointless, and a waste of my time. Your comments here in the last 2 or 3 hours say everything. Very professional and business like.
    You misspelled "A laser doesn't generate heat"

Have a good Weekend.

Top Bottom