Gunsmith needed to chase threads

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    My brother bought a s&w m&p 2.0. When he treid to get the plastic plate off the top to mount the red dot he stripped the allen head. He got it out but when he put the new screw in he had to keep screwing down and backing out to get it to seat. He shot it this week and noticed the red dot was loose. He is thinking what ever loctite they used is what is keeping him from fully seating the screw. What gunsmith in the baton rouge area would you trust to chase these threads.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Heat from a good hair dryer/heat gun should melt the Loctite before chasing the threads.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Yes correct length but he cannot get it to go all the way down to hold the red dot. I am thinking whatever loctite they put on it is causing the issues.
    Im still suspicious about the screw length, only because I have seen and fixed it so many times.

Can you get a tiny pick into the hole and chip away and dump out the locktite remains ? They usually chunk up pretty good and fall out.

8upbowhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    LaPlace
    The screws came with the C&H Precision optics plate so I am pretty sure they are the correct length. One screw goes all the way down the other doesn’t.

The screw I am having trouble with is the one that wouldn’t come out that was factory installed. Eventually had to drill into the hex head and use an easy out to remove it. Not sure what Smith used on the screws but think it was over kill to hold on a plastic part.

I will try to clean it out again and see how that goes and if it doesn’t work on to chasing it with a tap.

Last edited:

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    There are several things that could cause this that occur during production and assembly. One could be that the screw was inserted incorrectly in the assembly process, in which case send it back to S&W. Another thing could be that the tapping process was done incorrectly, send it back to S&W. I don't know but with a screw that small the slightest imperfection can keep the screw from working. Very easy to check hole depth to screw length.

8upbowhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    LaPlace
    All of those things are possible but I will tinker with it a bit more before sending it back.

With that said I installed the optic with the tool that came with it and didn’t put a whole lot of pressure on it because I didn’t want to break or strip it. I have since ordered a torque screwdriver and will try with that set at 15 in/lbs after cleaning the screw hole again.

8upbowhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    LaPlace
    Took the optic off and dripped some acetone in the screw holes and let it soak a few minutes. Dripped some more acetone then slowly worked the screw in and out a few times slowly going deeper. Cleaned everything up and did a dry fit (no loctite) and torqued them to 15 in/lbs. Felt solid and didn’t see any movement. Took the screws out 1 at a time, put loctite on them then retorqued each one. Should be good to go now.

Top Bottom