Gunsmith recommendation 1908 Colt 25 acp

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Colt 25 acp hammerless that was made in 1909. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good gunsmith in the Baton Rouge area that is knowledgeable and charges reasonable rates?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What exactly do you need to have done to it? If it dates to 1909, then it's a very early example of that gun and should probably be handled by someone with expertise in historic firearms.

Mike

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Mike
    The weapon would not fire. I just discovered that the spring behind the grip safety was not there. I got a new spring from Numrich that came in today. As I disassembled I also discovered that there is no safety plunger or spring. The spring and plunger will be ordered tonight.

Are you familiar with these pistols?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Mike
    The weapon would not fire. I just discovered that the spring behind the grip safety was not there. I got a new spring from Numrich that came in today. As I disassembled I also discovered that there is no safety plunger or spring. The spring and plunger will be ordered tonight.

Are you familiar with these pistols?
    Sounds like someone robbed it of some parts. It definitely won't fire without the grip safety / sear spring.

I've got one of these in my safe right now and did a detail strip and clean of it when I got it, but I'm not in a position to fit parts for it. I don't know if these particular parts need any fitting, but it would be above my pay grade to make that determination.

Mike

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Sounds like someone robbed it of some parts. It definitely won't fire without the grip safety / sear spring.

I've got one of these in my safe right now and did a detail strip and clean of it when I got it, but I'm not in a position to fit parts for it. I don't know if these particular parts need any fitting, but it would be above my pay grade to make that determination.

Mike
    Thanks for the comments Mike. I’m going to attempt to put it back together when the parts arrive.

Last edited:

hrt4me

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2023
    Kenner, LA
    Were you able to successfully reassemble your Colt 1908 so it is functional now?
    These .25 ACP pocket pistols are fairly straight-forward...

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Not yet. i ordered a sear spring from Numrich but it wouldn’t work. After research I discovered that the early models used a different sear spring. I have one ordered but it is on back order.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom