Ham Radio info??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Hi all!

I am interested in getting my ham radio license, does anyone have some info on how,where to do that?

SELARC is the local ham radio group, they are very helpful. Long story short, anyone can go take the exam so it’s on you to study the materials. You can either buy the official ARRL books and learn the material that way (which I personally recommend as it acts like a great reference manual as well), or you can just use any free online study guides/practice exams.

I don’t know what their current exam schedule is with all the Covid stuff, but I’d reach out to them and they’ll let you know. They’re a good resource and very enthusiastic about helping people get into the hobby.

https://www.selarc.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    from the SELARC page...

Florida Parishes VE Group - tests are scheduled for the last Sunday of each month [with the exception of holiday conflicts] in the location 26890 Hwy 42, Springfield, La. 70462 at 2pm with $15 testing fee. Bring photo ID and any appropriate CSCE. For more information contact n5xes@arrl.net or Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area.

n5xes is Tyrone Burns and he administers the tests. He only does testing. if you need some kind of training, he may be able to direct you to someone. Many local clubs would do some license prep type classes once in a while, but the China virus has put a damper on a lot of in person activity.

I would suggest taking practice exams online. You will be able to determine what areas you need to study. The tests consist of 50 questions pulled from a larger pool of questions. They are all multiple choice and the answers are always the same, meaning if a particular question's answer is "a". the answer will always be the first choice or "a". i wouldn't suggest just learning the questions, but some people do just that. If you take the online practice tests long enough, you will learn the answers even if you don't know the theory. The test pool is the same that Tyrone would administer in his session. There are lots of things covered in the question pools that may not be pertinent to your interests. I had to learn morse code to pass the test required to operate voice on HF. Thank goodness they eliminated that. Good luck with it and if you fail, you may be able to take another test immediately but will have to pay another fee ( probably). Some people come in and take all three tests sequentially in the same sitting. Separate fee for each.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    from the SELARC page...

Florida Parishes VE Group - tests are scheduled for the last Sunday of each month [with the exception of holiday conflicts] in the location 26890 Hwy 42, Springfield, La. 70462 at 2pm with $15 testing fee. Bring photo ID and any appropriate CSCE. For more information contact n5xes@arrl.net or Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area.

n5xes is Tyrone Burns and he administers the tests. He only does testing. if you need some kind of training, he may be able to direct you to someone. Many local clubs would do some license prep type classes once in a while, but the China virus has put a damper on a lot of in person activity.

I would suggest taking practice exams online. You will be able to determine what areas you need to study. The tests consist of 50 questions pulled from a larger pool of questions. They are all multiple choice and the answers are always the same, meaning if a particular question's answer is "a". the answer will always be the first choice or "a". i wouldn't suggest just learning the questions, but some people do just that. If you take the online practice tests long enough, you will learn the answers even if you don't know the theory. The test pool is the same that Tyrone would administer in his session. There are lots of things covered in the question pools that may not be pertinent to your interests. I had to learn morse code to pass the test required to operate voice on HF. Thank goodness they eliminated that. Good luck with it and if you fail, you may be able to take another test immediately but will have to pay another fee ( probably). Some people come in and take all three tests sequentially in the same sitting. Separate fee for each.

I heard them on the Hammond net last night talking about the test in Springfield

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Passed Tech with a 32. Took the general missed it by one point, so I'll take it again next month. Good guys over here in Springfield.

Did you notice if they had older radios or coax, etc. for sale? When I went there were a few radios and a couple rolls of coax on the shelf next to the examiners.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    At the test yesterday, one of the VEs asked "Any preppers here?" No one raised their hand, lol. I said "I'm a gray man, I can't say". That got a laugh.

When you pass one test, they ask if you want to "challenge" the next one. If you say yes, they let you take it for no additional cost. I totally guessed at the General and got 25 right, needed 26 to pass. A little studying and I should be able to get General and Expert next month.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    At the test yesterday, one of the VEs asked "Any preppers here?" No one raised their hand, lol. I said "I'm a gray man, I can't say". That got a laugh.

When you pass one test, they ask if you want to "challenge" the next one. If you say yes, they let you take it for no additional cost. I totally guessed at the General and got 25 right, needed 26 to pass. A little studying and I should be able to get General and Expert next month.

General was easy, it comes from 462 question pool and the test is 35 questions. Extra is a 612 question pool and a 50 question test.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Took the tech exam yesterday, had my call sign by lunch today, KI5NKH ! And yes the technician test was pretty easy, there are a few questions in the pool that i got confused a few times, but none on the test. If you get element 2, its a cake walk.

Top Bottom