HD video from my new Canon 7D is all jacked up.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So if I buy a laptop with a blue Ray drive, should it support my HD videos?

Yes.

In the event of finding one that is low-priced, I would recommend putting Blu Ray in it and doing other things on it while it's trying to play the movie. If it bogs, freezes, or seems strange, don't buy the cheap one.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    One word of advice...buy and use an outboard hard drive to store your raw video for editing.

+1

You don't want the editing software and the video running from the same drive. Make sure you get the biggest and fastest drive you can find, otherwise you'll have some of the same problems.

In an earlier post, you asked about compressing the video. Once you do that, you're not really in true HD anymore and will start to see some artifacting. If your source video has time code, you can try a trick from the early days of non-linear editing by digitizing at a really poor quality video rate, making your edits, then making the video off-line (or deleting the source files, whatever your editor calls it). The you tell it to re-digitize only the clips you've actually chosen to use in your finished piece. Tell it to re-digitize at the highest quality.

Playback of the finished piece may still cause some slowing, but you can still burn the finished thing to a disk and watch it elsewhere. Good luck.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Most box systems are going to struggle. Laptops are even worse (not to mention the heat issues and poor video cards in most).
    I'd suggest you buy a newer mother board (asus, MSI, etc), processor and ram. Salvage the case, hd, dvd rom, etc... Check out www.mwave.com or newegg.com, etc.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007

Yea to a point. First don't buy from Best Buy, go to the apple store and get the law enforcement discount. You will find it very tedious to edit on a Laptop using FCE or iMovie.(I own a Mac Book Pro I don't edit on it.) It will take a very long time meaning several hours just to render a 6 min. high definition clip. I use a iMac with dual monitors to edit video and it is a learned art. I still don't have enough screen real estate. I have a almost 4 Terabytes of storage on line with my iMac and still don't have enough. My rendering drive is a CalDigit 1 Terabyte raid array and I can max it out with 1 project. Don't forget the audio you have to deal with, your camera audio no matter how good you think it is isn't. I often pull an audio stream directly from the mixing board to a zoom H2 and add it to the project, which means you have to cut the audio out and sync it or if I am close enough directly to my camera. My main camera is a Cannon HV30 and my B camera is a Nikon D90, may pick up a second Cannon soon. It is rumored that Apple has the Moscone Center reserved for June 27 th. It is hoped that it is to announce upgrades to the iMac and Mac Pro. The Mac Book Pro was upgraded not to long ago.

You spent bucks on your camera, all it dose is give the raw ingredients, the editing is the recipe for success. BTW go to the Cannon site and see what everyone else is using, the guys here are a different type of shooter.

This was edited on a iMac with FCE. The video was shot off a tripod with a shotgun mic. The panning and zoom was done in software not in camera. I shot stills as the camera ran. I shot the entire concert and cut out what I liked. This was a quick and dirty clip but a lot of fun. You never have enough light.
    http://vimeo.com/10330498

Good luck enjoy your camera.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yea to a point. First don't buy from Best Buy, go to the apple store and get the law enforcement discount. You will find it very tedious to edit on a Laptop using FCE or iMovie.(I own a Mac Book Pro I don't edit on it.) It will take a very long time meaning several hours just to render a 6 min. high definition clip. I use a iMac with dual monitors to edit video and it is a learned art. I still don't have enough screen real estate. I have a almost 4 Terabytes of storage on line with my iMac and still don't have enough. My rendering drive is a CalDigit 1 Terabyte raid array and I can max it out with 1 project. Don't forget the audio you have to deal with, your camera audio no matter how good you think it is isn't. I often pull an audio stream directly from the mixing board to a zoom H2 and add it to the project, which means you have to cut the audio out and sync it or if I am close enough directly to my camera. My main camera is a Cannon HV30 and my B camera is a Nikon D90, may pick up a second Cannon soon. It is rumored that Apple has the Moscone Center reserved for June 27 th. It is hoped that it is to announce upgrades to the iMac and Mac Pro. The Mac Book Pro was upgraded not to long ago.

You spent bucks on your camera, all it dose is give the raw ingredients, the editing is the recipe for success. BTW go to the Cannon site and see what everyone else is using, the guys here are a different type of shooter.

This was edited on a iMac with FCE. The video was shot off a tripod with a shotgun mic. The panning and zoom was done in software not in camera. I shot stills as the camera ran. I shot the entire concert and cut out what I liked. This was a quick and dirty clip but a lot of fun. You never have enough light.
    http://vimeo.com/10330498

Good luck enjoy your camera.

:eek3::eek3:Whoah dude...way outta my league. LOL

Thanks for the advice though.

i am just looking to be able to watch and cut small video I shoot, not necessarily for production. i have a guy with a pro set-up that does that. However, when i shoot some video with my 7d at a match or something, i want to be able to go review it and maybe render it down so i can email it or youtube it.

Will the Macbook pro do that?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    The advice given by Safari is good if you want to have success with HD. You may not want to invest that much on equipment and software. Does the camera have a firewire port?
    If it does, as an alternative, you could handle the video as SD and you would not have to have a system nearly as powerful. Yea, I know, you have HD and want to use it that way if you can. The reality is you need a very powerful computer to handle HD video. I edit with a PC using Adobe Premiere Pro. My PC is a Dual Xeon system with 2500GB of hard drives and 4 Gigs of ram. It won't handle HD. Maybe you should consider capturing and editing in SD. It won't look that bad on your TV. Probably better than you think.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    I am at best buy right now on a macbook. Just the macbook is playing back my HD video fine. Have not even moved on to the Pro. I am on the 999.00 one.

Playing back and editing are 2 different things. Adding filters, and effects take processing power.

Safari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2007
    Is there a way for me to make my current HD video normal D so I can use it on a normalcomputer?

Yes, there several programs for Mac and PC which will convert video. I am sure you can also shoot in SD with your camera, but that kind defeats the purpose of having such a nice camera. No matter what you decide you will have a great time.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    :eek3::eek3:Whoah dude...way outta my league. LOL

Thanks for the advice though.

i am just looking to be able to watch and cut small video I shoot, not necessarily for production. i have a guy with a pro set-up that does that. However, when i shoot some video with my 7d at a match or something, i want to be able to go review it and maybe render it down so i can email it or youtube it.

Will the Macbook pro do that?

You just wanna crunch it down, right? www.winavi.com will do that on just about any slow system, but it might take it several times longer than realtime to succeed.

Top Bottom