Hebert Guns - High Prices?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    I tried to reply last night, that my experiences at Hebert's have been pretty good.

They had 30-30 150gr Remington corelock when the big box stores were out-- at the same price as the big box store.

Priced a Ruger 10/22, and their everyday price beat the big box store by $10, plus Heather was easy to deal with and knew her stuff about guns.

Brought a Marlin 30-30 in for repair last year during dear season, figured I'd be without it for a few weeks. Prior to leaving the hunting stand the evening before, it had failed to extract the chambered round. I called the folks at Hebert's asked them what was their procedure for bringing a broken gun into the shop with a live round chambered. The lever was forward and action was jammed open, but live round in chamber nevertheless. They told me to leave the gun in the truck, enter the store and tell them I had arrived. Did just what they told me, went back out to retrieve the gun. The gunsmith met me at the door, took the gun from me and breezed on into the back without a word. 10-15 minutes later I hear three rapid shots. Gunsmith comes out with my rifle, plus the 3 rounds that were in it. Told me he had removed the lie round and tried the rifle, could find no fault except the round in the chamber had a worn/rough spot on the rim. It had been in and out of that gun probably 10 times, huntin was slow.
    I asked how much, he said $20, I paid, left with my rifle and tickled pink too!

I am not related to any one at Hebert's, nor am affiliated in any way. Been treated pretty good by them, that's all.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I'm not saying anyone here is being less than truthful about their personal experience at Hebert's, but I have been in there probably 50 times and I have never had anyone be anything other than courteous, helpful and respectful.

Their gunsmith even made me a thread cap for a Ruger MKII and didn't even charge me for it.

If they had been rude or anything else to me, I wouldn't patronize them either.

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    Guys if you are looking for small parts for you uppers or lowers. I stock a bunch at reasonable prices. I have just about every part for uppers and lowers at the shop. My detent and take down springs were .50 ea. 225-206-1908

+1 For James. I have dealt with him several times. He has always gone the extra mile and when asked to ship I recieved my items next day.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I got treated like a known shoplifter while in full uniform when I went in Hebert's.

I'll never darken their door again.

You can total up all the great experience stories and the bad ones will still far out number them! .

They have always been nice and helpful to me. Sorry they treated you like a pederastophile.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I don't understand Hebert's business model. They had a gun I wanted to buy. So did Academy. Academy was $40 cheaper. I would have preferred to spend money with a local store to dealing with a chain. So I called Hebert's and told them I was going to spend money with them right now if they match Academy's price. They told me quite rudely "we don't match prices".

Well I guess they didn't need my business and preferred to make no sale to making a sale at reduced profit. This wasn't a hard to find item, btw., just a run-of-the-mill Glock.

Haven't been back since.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    I don't understand Hebert's business model. They had a gun I wanted to buy. So did Academy. Academy was $40 cheaper. I would have preferred to spend money with a local store to dealing with a chain. So I called Hebert's and told them I was going to spend money with them right now if they match Academy's price. They told me quite rudely "we don't match prices".

Well I guess they didn't need my business and preferred to make no sale to making a sale at reduced profit. This wasn't a hard to find item, btw., just a run-of-the-mill Glock.

Haven't been back since.

Even though I don't care for Hebert Guns, I feel as though I must defend them on this one. Small "mom and pop" type shops don't operate on much of a profit margin on guns. Due largely to the lack of volume that they sell vs say an Academy, the prices their wholesale costs are much higher than what academy can get them for. They may not have had a high enough margin to be able to give you the price match. Shops like Heberts typically make most of their profits off of accessories.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    I really just find many local gun places are just horrible for customer service in general. I am not sure if its because they just are tired of dealing with idiots daily, but thats any customer service industry. They almost have the we dont need you attitude which is what drives me to not want to shop with them and just go to a big box store or the internet. I dont mind paying a little more if I am treated better by said place, but its rare. I just dont get the attitude.

Duke Slade

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Hebert's has always been nice to me and good pricing too. I just bought a Kahr CW40 for a gift for a friend from them, noone else in town had one. Nice to deal with, for years, not just the other day either.

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    I would love to buy for them; they are always helpful and will let you see/hold whichever gun they have on display. But the prices are high, most of the time... I would not worry about $20-40 difference compare to some other store, and I would rather support my local store. However, when the range is like $100-$200, I have hard time justifying the purchase... I keep supporting them by buying ammo, magazines, paracord, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swingey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    prairieville,la.
    TO BE FAIR,I have bought several guns from Herbert's over the years,always got treated right.however,I have heard complaints from others,maybe it helps I know the owner.I have never asked him to match a price,but when no one else had .22 ammo,Herbert's did,just a 2 box limit. TRY taking that gun back to Academy and see their response, just my 2 cents worth....

ChiefShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Well, I don't know the owner. I have purchased several items from Hebert's and I have been in the store numerous times. I have always been treated in a professional manner. I have always been treated better and with a more informed person than any of than corporate chain locations in our area. I have found their prices to be consistently competitive( within $20 - $40) of what I was looking for. If they don't have it, they have ordered it for me. They also have a great gunsmith. Everyone else I know has had the same experiences. I am glad we have someone local to take care of our needs. If someone thinks Academy or Wal-Mart or an online dealer will provide that level of attention......they are mistaken.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I've gone in for cleaning supplies, ammo, and a grip for my revolver (that I was having trouble finding elsewhere locally). I've even asked to check out a few guns, and had a question that the salesperson couldn't answer and immediately went to the gunsmith to ask him. They've always seemed eager to help and answer questions. I went in once right at the beginning od the last scare (after Sandy Hook), the place was packed, and while the guy helping me seemed a bit worn out, he still had no problem pulling a gun out for me and answering questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Long story short , I was followed around the store like a potential shoplifter , after making a purchase . They weren't even subtle about it . Never went back .

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    I am not sure if its because they just are tired of dealing with idiots daily, but thats any customer service industry.

This is VERY true with small business. Followed by the obvious that the business owner should know this is the black cloud that hangs overhead, and therefore train HARD to avoid the attitude swings.
    Because I am a small business owner myself & backing up what Big Jake said, EVERYONE should shop with your BS Vendors first for obvious reasons. and Second, Just like owners have to put up with Idiot Locals, the Locals should also know how to treat & appreciate the business owners. Its EASY to bring out the positive traits in a mom and pop store. When you shop, take the time to introduce yourself. Build a relationship, and I GUARANTEE you that the SBO will bend over backwards to make you happy........ The issue rears its ugly head When Locals shop with the attitude of expecting STELLAR 5 star service and 5 Star discount pricing before they ever spend any money . Both parties tune into each others Body Language and its down hill from the Get-Go.
    "It goes both ways". Both sides of the counter need to understand each other. and in the end,
    if you do this, you will NEVER have to shop outside of your BS vendors.

'Ive never shopped at Heberts, therefore I am not qualified to comment, but it seems that no Local business would be open for as long as they have if they didn't have their established client tell. And since they are NOT a paid vendor here on BS. Ill stop promoting them.:)

I do know James and Jake personally, [ as well as many other vendors here on BS ], and I can tell you guys, if you have NOT made an Attempt to shop your BS vendors, you are TRULY missing out on some Excellent business persons.
    Its the reason I became a vendor here myself............ IM surrounded by some Excellent business Talent. We compliment each other in many ways.
    Therefore members, don't overlook what is already served up to you on a silver platter at your feet !

Last edited:

Snuggie308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    I've been there many times. They had bench rest primers and Viht powder that you could not be found anywhere. They were not nearly as high as Lafayette Shooters whom were terrible. I try to see the same guy each time. He recognizes me every time I go in. I have also noted on several occasions that the newbie employees tend to look at you suspiciously, like a potential shoplifter! LOL!

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    ive been looking for a ja22 to fiddle with lately, and herberts is across the road from where i work. went in with my work clothes on(navy pants, steel toe boots, slightly grungy pocket t.
    i didnt even get a chance to look around when i was confronted by a "what do you want" and a disdainful look.
    i replied with "apparently nothing here". and left.

twentynine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2013
    Ascension parish
    Been in more than a few times. I have never been treated anyway other than courteous.

As I have stated in an earlier reply to this tread, they helped me out, saved me some time and money.

As for the cost comparisons, wait until you need service, those big box stores are going to send you over to Hebert's or one of the other local shops. Make your choice, I may not patronize the same local gunshop, but I will always patronize one of the local gunshops.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom