Help with competition pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggieddad02

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Son has peaked my interest in doing competition shooting and am considering buying a pistol. Being small framed and having small hands I need a pistol that it is not too hard to reachmag release and slide release. Have considered the XDM and the M&P L or Pro. Does anyone have the same limitations as I and if so what have you found to work best for you. I currently own several XD's, an M&P 9C and a Colt 1911. I know I could use what I have but hey a new gun purchase is always fun :) thanks for any help you can offer

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Both the XDM, XD Tactical or M&P L or Pro would be good choices, myself I have small hands I recently purchases an H&K USP 9 and eventhough its by far my favorite polymer pistol the trigger reach is just too long for me so I would never consider using it as a competition gun.

I shoot USPSA with a 1911 though, but there is nothing wrong to get started in Production with the guns that you have in mind, then jump to Limited 10 and then Limited. Open Div is like running jet fueled dragsters so thats out for me.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    On the 1st Sunday of the month, there's a match in Thibodaux. If you were to show your face, you would be able to put your hands on a number of different pistols.
    BTW...3rd Sunday is in Gonzales and 4th is in Amite, same applies.

Aggieddad02

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Alexandria LA
    Well I made it to the gun shop this weekend and handled an XDM, an M&P and a Glock Gen 4. Having several XD's already I was not impressed with the XDM just didn't feel right. The M&P had a good feel as did the new Glock Gen 4. Kinda leaing towatds the Glock as thier are OEM parts that would allow to shoot production class. Just wondering your thoughts. Thanks for your time

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    If you like Blocks pm Spanky he has a lead on a G34 at a really good price, G34 and G35 are the ultimate pistol for competition shooters who like the brand, be safe and you can't go wrong with that choice either lots of shooters who are loyal fans to it.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    If you like Blocks pm Spanky he has a lead on a G34 at a really good price, G34 and G35 are the ultimate pistol for competition shooters who like the brand, be safe and you can't go wrong with that choice either lots of shooters who are loyal fans to it.

That's a G35 that I posted on Facebook.

As far as the M&P versus the G4 Glock, I would see if I could take the opportunity to shoot both and see which one you like more. I really like the G4 Glocks as they tend to fit people's hands better but the M&P does a good job at that as well. In the end, it will all come down to personal preference as both are suitable for the task at hand.

bsdubois00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Jackson, MS
    Just a bump - this is my dad looking for a pistol - He has very small hands and the reason he is looking at the Gen 4 (Glock 17) is due to the fact of the interchangeable back plates - from what I understand the "SMALL" backplate is smaller than the Gen 3. That with the ability to put Glock OEM extended release on the 17 makes it a very good option. What do you think about a Glock 17 in Production - do you really lose that much on the 4.5" barrel vs the 5" of the M&P Pro?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom