Help with some AR building/unbuilding?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    I have two AR-15's that are set up in different configurations, and a complete lower I would like to build out. I want to set them up exactly the same, but I don't have the necessary tools to mount rails, remove fsb's, install sling mounts, install ambi safety's, or do anything really (almost no tools). I was wondering if anyone around the Baton Rouge area would be willing to help me out a little bit with the work. I will provide compensation in either food/money/gear (whatever you would prefer). I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I just don't even know what tools I really need to get these jobs done. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gavin

Last edited:

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    To start you will need a armorers wrench , a vise ,a vise jaw to hold your barrel,upper receiver action block to hold.your upper in the vise a lower receiver vise block , roll pin holders , a set of punches for your roll pins ,front sight bench block , a dead blow hammer a brass hammer maybe a regular hammer , some pliers ,and some snap ring pliers just to name some off the top of my head .
    Or you can have someone help you
    Or if you have $1600 you can order the kit from brownells.
    Good luck

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    building a lower is a breeze. You mention removing a FSB, which can be a major PITA. What configuration is your upper in now, and what are you wanting done to it? What type (brand) of rails? I may be available wednesday evening or thursday to give you a hand.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    The upper I really want to change has a carbine length rail system and a standard fsb. Id like to replace the rail with a 12" DD and either cut down the FSB or replace it with a lo-pro gas block. I havent actually ordered the rail because I was going to send the upper off to have it done if I couldn't find help locally.

bayouben

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 30, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This peaks my interest as I would also like to cut down a FS on a carbine and mount longer rails. Think you guys could give a photo AAR and post instruction?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Shaving your FSB is always preferable to removing it and installing a gas block. I did mine with a hacksaw and a file. It looks like I did it with a hacksaw and a file but it's hidden by the rail anyway.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Shaving your FSB is always preferable to removing it and installing a gas block. I did mine with a hacksaw and a file. It looks like I did it with a hacksaw and a file but it's hidden by the rail anyway.

This, especially for a "first timer".

Getting the new block lined up can be a PITA, but making sure it doesn't walk at all is absolutely necessary. We had 3 experienced, meticulous and borderline OCD guys working on mine (with every helpful tool and gadget possible), and several hundred rounds through it have not revealed any problems. Just the same, I still worry about it from time to time.

If you're going with a rail that'll cover the FSB, shaving is the way to go. There are prettier and more precise ways than a hacksaw and file (LOL VG), but it's going to be hidden anyway.

Edit to Add:

You should be able to drop in the ambi-safety without any special tools, unless there's something vastly different about it from the standard unit. Just don't lose the spring!

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I built mine without a lot of the fancy "needed" tools. Functioned 100% and its accurate. They'll sell you a ton of specialized tools though.

Dave

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I built mine without a lot of the fancy "needed" tools. Functioned 100% and its accurate. They'll sell you a ton of specialized tools though.

Dave

A lot of the "necessary" tools, that are only for use on an AR, are not required as you say. Some of them are downright wastes of money, from what I've been told.

Quite a few of them, however, make the job easier and faster. Certainly not something you'd invest it for a single build, but if you plan on working with a bunch of these things (professionally or otherwise), a number of the specialized items are actually worth the cost.

The best examples are the vice blocks. You can definitely get away without them, or even craft some temporary versions on your own. But those suckers are a dream come true if you've ever tried tinkering on an AR without 'em.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Too many horror stories about cracked upper receivers to not use vice blocks. Cheap insurance. Borrow some at a minimum.

A $20 AR multitool is about the only other specialty tool you need.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Too many horror stories about cracked upper receivers to not use vice blocks. Cheap insurance. Borrow some at a minimum.

A $20 AR multitool is about the only other specialty tool you need.

Yeah, the multitool is definitely a "must have". I agree about the blocks, but some folks feel handy enough to substitute or make their own.

More along the lines of "helpful but not necessary" would be like the gas tube tool, handguard removal tool, rail leveling tool, etc.

Yeah, I'm not too great on the specific names of these things. :rofl:

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    I've shaved a few FSPs down with nothing more than a dremel and bench grinder. they all turned out pretty good IMO, and the owner's of the rifles always approved. Just remember to spay some gunkote or some form of finish over what you shaved off.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    McFreddieMercury
    Top Bottom