Hog Traps

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baker Shake

Rating - 100%
    0   0   1
    Sep 15, 2021
    Gonzales, LA
    Anyone have suggestions on where to buy a hog trap? I live in Gonzales and hunt up in Wilson. Most of the ones that I find online are in TX or AR. Found one, but the closest dealer is in Alexandria. Not opposed to driving, but thought I’d ask and try to find closer options first. Not looking for the giant octagons, but maybe a 4x8x3 size to catch 1-2 at a time.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I have one from tractor supply, had to modify it a little for Livingston parish hogs, had it about 5 years… so far caught about 18 hogs in it, never caught any over 100lbs, they to smart in my neck of the woods

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Years and years ago, we were setting up a dive spread on a lay barge. A young hand who had never been offshore finds a pipe with the end welded up, a flange on the other end, and slots cut all around it. "What's that?" he asks. "Pig trap." I answered.
    "What do you do with it?" he asks. "Catch pigs." I respond. Luckily, there were some big orange pigs nearby that helped me explain to him what it means to pig a pipe.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    That reminds me of an ancient story. In the '70s we were running a pipeline that ended at a dock on the Miss River. The crew was at breakfast at a local restaurant discussing whether they needed a pig trap at the end of the line on the dock and they decided that they would just run the pigs into the river and retrieve them with a boat. Well, a local lady overheard them and called the sheriff to report that some pipeliners were stealing pigs and drowning them in the river.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    That reminds me of an ancient story. In the '70s we were running a pipeline that ended at a dock on the Miss River. The crew was at breakfast at a local restaurant discussing whether they needed a pig trap at the end of the line on the dock and they decided that they would just run the pigs into the river and retrieve them with a boat. Well, a local lady overheard them and called the sheriff to report that some pipeliners were stealing pigs and drowning them in the river.
    Wildlife and fisheries visited a barge in Baton Rouge because they overheard radio traffic explaining that they were pulling dolphins (groups of wooden pilings) from the river and stacking them on a barge. Don't think porpoises should be that far upstream.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom