Homemade Butter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Well, I tried this ages ago, and it never worked out. When looking through the girlfriend's fridge, I saw a pint/quart/something amount of Heavy Whipping Cream. After seeing that it expired on 7/29/10, I proceeded to open it up, smell, and take a sip to make sure I wouldn't be praying to the porcelain gods for the next few days. All was well with the cream, and it tasted perfectly fine.

Most people suggest to let it warm up to room temperature before doing anything with it, but I was impatient and did it straight from the 38ish degree fridge.

Poured all of it in a medium sized tupperware container and started shaking. After about 6-8 minutes, it turned into whipped cream. I shook for another 8-10 minutes and couldn't get it to change into butter :mad: After getting frustrated, I said screw it and started "whisking" it with a fork that was laying on the counter. Within 10-15 SECONDS, it started rapidly turning into butter and buttermilk.

I drained out the buttermilk (which tasted amazing, but I only took a few sips), and rinsed the butter under some cold water. Tossed it into the now clean tupperware container and put it back in the fridge to cool down.

It was a neat process that I want to try again when I'm more prepared, but it was actually pretty bland tasting since I didn't have any salt in the house to add to it. After thinking about it, I really should have added a few tablespoons of honey to it - might do it tomorrow. In the end, I still couldn't get the GF to try it, as she was convinced that it would make her sick :rofl:

Ingredients:

Heavy/regular whipping cream
    Salt
    Strong forearms :D

Will post some pics momentarily.....

K

Kbovine

it was actually pretty bland tasting since I didn't have any salt in the house to add to it.
    No salt in the house? Doesn't she cook at all?

I heard you can actually can butter for food storage.

Excited to see the pics. May have to try & make some here.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    No salt in the house? Doesn't she cook at all?

I heard you can actually can butter for food storage.

Excited to see the pics. May have to try & make some here.

Salt is not in her vocabulary, only Tony Chachere's :D

They're only some crappy cell phone pictures, but I'll have to find time to put them on photobucket....

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    We made some too, got a little tired of shaking and put it in a mixer. It made some great whipped butter spread like at the resturants.

WINGBONE2

WINGBONE2
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Livingston Parish, Louisiana
    My twin Sisters had Jersey Milk cows that they showed in 4-H & FFA. My mom used to milk them when she didn't have enough calves to nurse them dry. They produced alot of milk each day. She would then let the cream rise in a large bowl in the fridge, skim it off, and put it in a quart Mason jar, and wrap it in a dish towel (for a firm grip). We would then shake it like yall said about 20 minutes then add salt. With the remaining butter milk she would make homemade bisquits. It makes me hungry just thinking aboout it! I know we are sounding like Hicks and all, but this was only about 6 years ago...........Fresh Homemade Butter & Bisquits! Can't many young people say they've experienced that anymore.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    My twin Sisters had Jersey Milk cows that they showed in 4-H & FFA. My mom used to milk them when she didn't have enough calves to nurse them dry. They produced alot of milk each day. She would then let the cream rise in a large bowl in the fridge, skim it off, and put it in a quart Mason jar, and wrap it in a dish towel (for a firm grip). We would then shake it like yall said about 20 minutes then add salt. With the remaining butter milk she would make homemade bisquits. It makes me hungry just thinking aboout it! I know we are sounding like Hicks and all, but this was only about 6 years ago...........Fresh Homemade Butter & Bisquits! Can't many young people say they've experienced that anymore.

Add some Steen's syrup to them biscuits and you've got heaven. :)

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Well, looked at the "butter" again, and I guess you're not supposed to toss this stuff back in the fridge as it was as hard as a ROCK.

I'm going to pick up another small carton of it at the store in the next few days to try for round 2.

I'm glad everyone elses came out pretty well.

-Dave

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Well, looked at the "butter" again, and I guess you're not supposed to toss this stuff back in the fridge as it was as hard as a ROCK.

I'm going to pick up another small carton of it at the store in the next few days to try for round 2.

-Dave

Real butter is like that. Next time you're at the store see if they have any butter there from "Smith's Creamery" (i think) and it's in the shape of a log and wrapped in wax paper. That stuff is like a brick.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Real butter is like that. Next time you're at the store see if they have any butter there from "Smith's Creamery" (i think) and it's in the shape of a log and wrapped in wax paper. That stuff is like a brick.

In BR available at Calandro's, Our Daily Bread, and Whole Foods at about $11 for the 2lb log.

Smith's tastes like the Canadian butter we ate when we were summering in Vermont a real long time ago.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    In BR available at Calandro's, Our Daily Bread, and Whole Foods at about $11 for the 2lb log.

Smith's tastes like the Canadian butter we ate when we were summering in Vermont a real long time ago.

Also Ralph's Market (and other AG grocers I'm sure).

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    If you don't feel like shaking it to the butter stage, then make some strong black coffee, add two sugars and a shot of whiskey and pour an inch of the cream on top. :D

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia

-Dave

Like they said you hit it right on. If you want it smoother run it through a food processer. Do it AFTER you drain the milk though, I found ot the hard way LOL :D

K

Kbovine

She would then let the cream rise in a large bowl in the fridge, skim it off, and put it in a quart Mason jar, and wrap it in a dish towel (for a firm grip). We would then shake it like yall said about 20 minutes then add salt. With the remaining butter milk she would make homemade bisquits. It makes me hungry just thinking aboout it! I know we are sounding like Hicks and all, but this was only about 6 years ago...........Fresh Homemade Butter & Bisquits! Can't many young people say they've experienced that anymore.

This brings back memories-- when I was a kid we stayed a few days with some friends who were ranchers in California. The mom would do that same thing with her milk. I still remember how good that fresh whole milk tasted, and the fresh, homemade butter with bread. Mmmm

Top Bottom