Honda CRV reliability - dead as a hammer.\update

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    good evening:

A part called “Body Control Module”, part number 1 38809-TMM-A21, failed. Everything electrical you can think of depends on this part. Was told by dealer I would be lucky to get this part in 4-6 months. I now have a 2017 Honda CRV, with 55K miles dead as a hammer sitting in my carport. You would think, if a part is so vital, the Dealer or Honda would have an adequate number available if one should fail. Have not heard a word from the Dealer or Honda on the status of this part. The part is vin specific.

update: thx to everyone for assistance. Dealer in BR received notice of part delivery @6\8. will allow the dealer to do the repair, both for warranty reasons and a nagging feeling is this part the actual problem. parts break but spending $700+ for parts and labor and the problem is something else then will have a discussion with the dealer.

thx again to everyone for assistance.

rp

Last edited:

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    It took a week for a dealer to just look at my truck. It will now take 3-5 days to get a fuel pump module. This supply chair issue is a royal pain in the arse.
    I’m not in as bad a shape you but I fell your pain.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    Find it, unplug it check corrosion on connection and reconnect it. You might get lucky

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    yea global parts shortages suck, then transportation issues getting it from over seas to here. Then again most parts out of current day hondas are sourced in America/Mexico/Canada

Most honda's are made in America now, and if you want to know if you have a Japanese car, The Vin should start with a J. My G35 was made in japan, one of the reasons I bought it. First gen TSX was made in Japan and they were reliable. The Acura TL I used to have, not so much (made in America with canada parts I think).

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    It's not just honda... Ford owners are going through the same situation.. As are other owners of various makes.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I have no experience with honda bcm but I know other make/models that have had repairs done. Maybe give them a call.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    good evening:

A part called “Body Control Module”, part number 1 38809-TMM-A21, failed. Everything electrical you can think of depends on this part. Was told by dealer I would be lucky to get this part in 4-6 months. I now have a 2017 Honda CRV, with 55K miles dead as a hammer sitting in my carport. You would think, if a part is so vital, the Dealer or Honda would have an adequate number available if one should fail. Have not heard a word from the Dealer or Honda on the status of this part. The part is vin specific.
    That is crazy, but a symptom of the massive supply/demand problems facing the world right now. My 9 year old car's check engine light came on and I scheduled an appointment @ the chevy dealer and the soonest appoint was 2 weeks out. Within that time, I researched on line and replaced a part, an emissions purge solenoid right under the hood (purchased and delivered by amazon). 24 hours later, the light cleared. Cost me $24 and took 3 minutes to replace. I bet that would have ran me at least 2 or 3 hundred total for repair @ my dealer. Maybe more.

I would search for your part in the salvage and junk yards nation wide. It may be VIN specific but your car does not have an exclusive one off "body control module". Other 2017 CRVs were manufactured/assembled with the same control module. You have the specific part number for your vehicle, search for it. I bet somewhere in the US is a serviceable replacement part for you. Better solution than waiting for 4-6 months, and cheaper too I bet. Its worth a shot imo.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    That is crazy, but a symptom of the massive supply/demand problems facing the world right now. My 9 year old car's check engine light came on and I scheduled an appointment @ the chevy dealer and the soonest appoint was 2 weeks out. Within that time, I researched on line and replaced a part, an emissions purge solenoid right under the hood (purchased and delivered by amazon). 24 hours later, the light cleared. Cost me $24 and took 3 minutes to replace. I bet that would have ran me at least 2 or 3 hundred total for repair @ my dealer. Maybe more.

I would search for your part in the salvage and junk yards nation wide. It may be VIN specific but your car does not have an exclusive one off "body control module". Other 2017 CRVs were manufactured/assembled with the same control module. You have the specific part number for your vehicle, search for it. I bet somewhere in the US is a serviceable replacement part for you. Better solution than waiting for 4-6 months, and cheaper too I bet. Its worth a shot imo.
    Bcm's can be rebuilt, some can be reprogramed and if you are crafty enough can be bypassed. Though that option will render many things useless. I've never met a dealer that wants to deal with it. My 2005 gto has a bcm that is not able to use a bcm from another gto. Dealers won't even touch them. One guy on the GTO forum figured out how to do it and from what I remember he shares the tool to reprogram it.

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    Google "All Computer Resources"

They're in Florida and I've had some luck with them in the past for ECM's that were obsolete or back ordered. They do sell some BCM's as well. Worth a call at least....

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My sister's land rover has been in the shop for over 3 months waiting on parts. Apparently there's a bunch of parts in the front bumper that they cant source.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I keep readings things that suggest the supply chain issue isn’t going back to normal anytime soon.
    I believe it. Just look at the new car market today. Dealers in my area might have 15% of the new vehicles on their lot compared to a year ago. All of the vehicle manufacturers are lacking semiconductor/processor chips, cannot complete many new vehicles. Ford and Chevy have shutdown some assembly lines, I'm sure other brands have too. If the war continues in Ukraine, we'll see $5 a gal gasoline in LA pretty soon. When the EU implements their ban on russian crude oil, sh*t's gonna get dead serious world wide. Diesel is $5.20 in LA now, impacts product shipping and prices on pretty much every product or consumable sold.

Lack of microprocessor chips world wide is why the OP will wait 4 to 6 months for a new Honda BCM, maybe longer.

Fredgr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    Free state of Livingston
    How about a conspiracy theory. This parts situation is across so many makes and models it makes ya' wonder if this is a back door way to get everybody on "public transportation" or to buy an electric car. Between no parts and government induced outrageous gas prices it makes ya' wonder. I recently had the steering control chips go out on a Ford and the dealer had no idea when or if they might ever get get one in I had to use salvaged parts from LKQ. Hang on to your wallets everybody because I think this is just the beginning of what the fascistic-marxist democrats have in store for us.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    I'm a Dealer certified Honda/Acura technician. Msg me the vin, I'll find you one.

( Superior Honda in Harvey sent me to school twice, Ascension/Tiger Honda Once, and Richards Honda Once.)

I have the HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) software on my laptop, and can program it if need be as well.
    Awesome for helping out! Thanks!

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013

KDerekT83 - dude, way to step up for a BS member! Folks like you give me hope!!!​

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom