How do you carry? C&L

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Dunno what kind of DAK you are familiar with; but the ones I've handled cannot be "decocked in the conventional sense." The hammer is NOT "in the cocked position" when chambered and ready to go; it is nearly flush against the rear of the slide.

One of the reasons the DAK trigger is so miserable is because it has to move the hammer through its entire arc; its not "pre-loaded" like a Glock or an HK LEM.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong term as far as saying it is cocked? In the first picture above, the hammer is all the way forward, whereas it is in some other position after being loaded. I concur that the position of the hammer in photo 3 is not the full travel position of the hammer when the trigger is pulled.

What is the position of the hammer in that picture called?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    If you're worried about finding the safety on a 1911, switch to an extended safety...

As far as compressed springs goes, I read somewhere a few months ago about a German construction worker. They were tearing down a building and he found in the basement an MP40 and a few fully loaded mags. He snuck them out and into the country and fired one of them. The full mag fired without a hitch after the springs had been compressed for 50+ years!

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    Thanks for the heads up, LSP972. When writing my response on wondering about that position, half cocked was running through my mind as well.

I went back and edited all my posts with that in it for clarity.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    How would you Conceal Carry a Full size 1911 Comfortably in Louisiana?

It doesn't seem practical.

hehe.... thats funny.

You have no idea. Kimber Custom II, fullsize. cargo shorts or jeans, white tshirt, 5.11 tactical basketweave belt with the internal stiffener and a comp-tac infidel holster with the gurkha strut.

It is most concealed at the 3:00 position but most comfortable at the 3:30 position. So I wear it at 3:00 if I am wearing a light shirt and 3:30 if my shirt is heavier or printed with a design or something.

To keep with the original post and to respond to a few of the other posts, with a 1911, the proper grip has your thumb riding on the safety anyway. If you are about to pull the trigger, your thumb will snap the safety off. If you don't ride your thumb on the safety you aren't gripping the firearm correctly.

C&L is perfectly safe. Infact some would argue that carrying a firearm with an empty chamber is actually more unsafe. Having to rack the slide in an extremely tense situation could result in a misfeed. It also takes longer to get the gun ready to fire therefore nullifying all surprise.

Last edited:

babietuan323

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2007
    new orleans
    So, me being a skinny white boy.. i should probably get a Kel Tec? lol

it all comes down to preference. i use a g27 at 5 o clock iwb holster. it is still big on me(5' 6 140lbs) and i wear tight fitting clothes. i plan to also get a keltec p3at for days when i dont want to carry the g27

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    i conceal carry an xd-40 subcompact notmally. when i go into a high crime area i will carry my 4" xd-9 or 4" xd-45. i also sometimes carry a glock 30. i use an iwb holster most of the time

Top Bottom