How does one build an PARA FAL?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Hello.

I am new here, but I see here are many of you which posses far superior knowledge of FALs than I. This said, how do I build an FAL from a parts kit, as DSA's FALs are nice, but some factors deter me, like the one k price tag. Thank y'all.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Also, I should note that I have never built a gun before, and have not tools. Should I just by a pre-built one instead?

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Also, I should note that I have never built a gun before, and have not tools. Should I just by a pre-built one instead?

Yes, the building adventure isn't for everyone do yourself a Favor buy one from DSA, or commission a reputable builder to build you one. Moses on the FALFILES is the first one to comes to mind.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Yes, the building adventure isn't for everyone do yourself a Favor buy one from DSA, or commission a reputable builder to build you one. Moses on the FALFILES is the first one to comes to mind.

MyTFAL, check this out.....I too am 100% agreement with MyTFAL on this one. Purchase a complete rifle that has been proven tested. Later if you wish to get into the building of these rifles you will have a foundation to start with.

Also check out www.FALFILES.com/forums they have a really good market place and some nice rifles for sale from time to time. Good luck and let us know the direction you take.

Also DSA has some Imbel rifles built on there type I receivers, I believe they are in the $950 or so price range. I would consider this ONLY after being unable to find one either local or on the FAL FILES.

KT

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I know you asked about a Para, sorry I guess I missed that initally, well you have to plan on anywhere from $1500 to $2500 for a nicely built PARA FAL. Of couse this depends on the base kit used and what Para parts were used to assemble the rifle. Check out Gunbroker, FalFiles and other sites, you will find pretty quickly the Paras aren't cheap.

Below is a rifle being offered on the FALFILES right now, it doesn't have a threaded barrel, but it does seem to have some very nice parts, this would make for a very nice shooter!!!!

from FAL FILES member: I'm selling an FAL I built a few years ago. It's a non-matching parts gun, but everything is nice. It turned out to be a really nice gun. Taken to the range one time, and has been in the safe since.

Lower receiver - Imbel, SRA marked, horizontal take-down lever

Upper receiver- DSA Type 3, bought new

Bolt carrier - Belgian

Bolt - Belgian

Barrel - 1962 STG with muzzle threads machined off. Flats perfect. No buggering.

Selector - New Imbel semi selector

Gas tube - Custom stainless steel, made by me

Handguards - Imbel non-bipod cut, refinished by Gun Parts Guy

Parkerized by Ed Vanden Berg

Headspaced at 1.634" when built.

US parts;

1. - DSA receiver

2. - DSA gas piston

3. - Penguin Humpback butt stock

4. - Genuine SAW pistol grip

5. - Trigger

6. - Charging handle

I spent a lot of time on the gas tube. The threads fit nice and tight. I reamed the inside diameter, then finish honed it with a Sunnen hone. It will never rust, or get loose.

$900 plus shipping. I'm only looking to get my expenditure out of this project.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks for the quick replies, and forgive my lateness. Might I ask why DSA, as I have seen a user state he had problems with his and liked the gun, but had issues he thought were a bit ridiculous for its gargantuan price tag. What do you think about this and Enterprise builds?

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    He didn't read the directions, DSA can't be held responsible for improper use. DSA is the best available commercial FAL, and has a rock solid reputation. Don't let one knucklehead confuse you.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    He didn't read the directions, DSA can't be held responsible for improper use. DSA is the best available commercial FAL, and has a rock solid reputation. Don't let one knucklehead confuse you.

BAH, DSA has poor Quality control, and they lie to everyone and tried to do some BS to excuse them not spending the $ to Chrome line barrels.

All they have going for them is the market's limited options.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    BAH, DSA has poor Quality control, and they lie to everyone and tried to do some BS to excuse them not spending the $ to Chrome line barrels.

All they have going for them is the market's limited options.

I'm not a big fanboy, however when it comes to commercially available FAL's there's not to many that are at the same same level. I think the vast majority of thier customers come away happy. Who's their competition,......Century? It's pretty easy to outshine the angry beavers.

762NATO I build my own, my favorite's are the Imbel (rec.) on Imbel (kit) standard rifles. I find the quality high and the price reasonable. It used to be much more reasonable, but those days are gone.

Nomad your PM box is full

Last edited:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    DSA NOT the ONLY game in town any longer for type I's!

That's right YOU will VERY soon be able to purchase your type I receivers from COONAN! They will be making a run of their Type III receivers with the type I lighting cuts, this will be there Type I-C
    It is an awesome receiver MUCH attention to details, they are also willing to personalize serial numbers IF you are interested in making your rifle fully matching numbers.

I looked over these receivers at KCR and it is very impressive! Mine is ON ORDER!!

KT

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Okay let's start by saying I like Coonan Receivers, they always have made a quality parts, but Coonan, Entreprise, Century and a few others build Investment cast receivers that are "spot" heat treated, at the high stress area's. Imbel and DSA are the only two (that I'm aware of) that are drop forged completely heat treated steel. Now this is not a knock on cast receivers, I am probably their biggest fan, ( luv me some Century receivers) but there is a reason DSA and IMBEL receivers are widely reguarded as the best. I have held them side by side with cast receivers and if you tap them with a small brass hammer the Forged ring like a bell, the cast clank like a cow bell. Does this mean one will work or run better than the other,....not really. The forged receiver theorhetically speaking should be stronger and last longer, but I've never wore out either. FYI......................

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I'm not a big fanboy, however when it comes to commercially available FAL's there's not to many that are at the same same level. I think the vast majority of thier customers come away happy. Who's their competition,......Century? It's pretty easy to outshine the angry beavers.

762NATO I build my own, my favorite's are the Imbel (rec.) on Imbel (kit) standard rifles. I find the quality high and the price reasonable. It used to be much more reasonable, but those days are gone.

Nomad your PM box is full

We are not limited to Commercially avalable FAL's, and usually the other options are a better product (Chrome lined barrels, non 'grenading bolts' etc) CHEAPER!

PM box is (now) not full;)

Okay let's start by saying I like Coonan Receivers, they always have made a quality parts, but Coonan, Entreprise, Century and a few others build Investment cast receivers that are "spot" heat treated, at the high stress area's. Imbel and DSA are the only two (that I'm aware of) that are drop forged completely heat treated steel. Now this is not a knock on cast receivers, I am probably their biggest fan, ( luv me some Century receivers) but there is a reason DSA and IMBEL receivers are widely reguarded as the best. I have held them side by side with cast receivers and if you tap them with a small brass hammer the Forged ring like a bell, the cast clank like a cow bell. Does this mean one will work or run better than the other,....not really. The forged receiver theorhetically speaking should be stronger and last longer, but I've never wore out either. FYI......................

I've got some of the first run of Connan Type 1's... THey were sitting next to some DSA Type 1's.

I go "Well, you can see that the DSA's are higher quality" as I pick up the universally better looking ones...

They were all Connans!

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    We are not limited to Commercially avalable FAL's, and usually the other options are a better product (Chrome lined barrels, non 'grenading bolts' etc) CHEAPER

Thank god I build my own, if I had to deal with any Commercial entity I'd be even crazier than I am now.
    It was more geared towards 762NATO if he was gonna purchase a Para and was looking for a good one DSA's not a bad place to go. Now if he wants to be a FALaHolic he better be prepared, .......to be broke, tired, bald, and crazier than a sh*thouse rat. Broke because you'll spend every last cent on part's or kits. (just one more kit!) Tired because he'll stay up all hours of the night scouring the internet just searching for that last part. Bald because he'll pull all his hair out after he realizes the FAL he just spent hours meticulously assembling and headspacing has to come apart cause the handguard ring is sitting on the workbench, and crazier than a sh*t house rat because once the fungus settles in even the simplest speech and thought patterns will be in Chaos. All he'll be able to think and speak of will be,....Rhodies, and Aussies, Izzy's, and Inches, STG's, G1's, Belgians, Steyrs, Argy's, Imbels, Falo's, Blue Monsters, Butthole stocks, and Franken Fals, Angry Beavers(not the good kind). He may even talk to Moses, or worship ole dirty, you never know what levels of depravity a FALaHolic on a FAL binge will sink too.
    God help him if this is the path he chooses, some of us have made it out of that dark dank pit of despair, and now just look into the pit and shake our heads. You can't help but feel a little, for the desperate souls still searching for a Hampton sight or a Canadian kit, every once in a while you reach out to one, you try to grasp their hand and wrench them from the tar pit they've become engulfed in, then the swirling muck drags them back down...........sorry KT, I tried.........we now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I still have hair... but I'm still looking for a few parts.

Done building though. Letting WIll put together the last, got a box of Argy kits, but I'm not gonna build them.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Hello.
    How does one build a Para FAL Thank y'all.

Ummmmm LIKE THIS!!!

parasuptop.jpg

UMMM ALSO MyTFAL........I ain't BALD YET!!!:mamoru:

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    It would seem that I have sparked off a storm! I don't plan to obsess over "Blue Monsters" or the various iterations of the Fusil Automatique Leger, I only want a reliable battle carbine that can reach beyond the AK's seemingly arbitrary 300 yards of sheer death, but be more reliable than the still-evolving AR
    10. Surgical accuracy was what I hoped for, but if I want that, I'll just buy a Savage. :chuckles:
    I just didn't want to spend the cash on a DSA that is now at 1700 bones for the basic twenty-one inch barrel. I do see the virtues of the design however, and I wonder if there is away to circumvent the gargantuan price tag.

G_FAL

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    You can buy a standard FAL already built for a pretty reasonable price right now if you shop around.
    Then get the para lower with stock,bolt carrier, springs , and dust cover.
    If you get the no-nose dust cover, you can use it with a standard receiver.
    The dust cover with nose requires a deeper cut around the gas piston hole.
    This is done with a piloted cutter and extended shank.

You will then have 2 versions by swapping parts ,or sell the original lower and parts to offset the para parts purchase.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom