How to Properly mail a handgun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Hey all!

So hopefully someone can guide me in this. I tried searching but couldn’t find anything.
    I’ll be needing to send a handgun to a guys FFL in Arizona in a few weeks. I’ve been reading different ways but since I’ve never done this I decided to ask.
    What is the best way to send a handgun? FedEx, UPS? I think I read I can’t send via USPS because I’m not an FFL. I’m guessing I would prepackaged it and drop it off... am I required to tell them what’s in the box?
    I’ve also read where it’s sometimes cheaper to have an FFL do it for me. Is that the case? I’m almost to that point anyway.

Thanks! And sorry if this is a goofy question. I just don’t want to screw anything up.
    Keith

rugrat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Louisiana
    Being it is a handgun, I would use an ffl to ship it for me. Even with their fee, shipping would be much less expensive than if you have to send it overnight by ups or fedex.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Thanks for the tips! I was already on the fence about using an FFL but y’all pushed me that way.
    I’ll call a few places close to me here in Covington to see if they would do it for me.
    Thanks again!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Regardless of what UPS says on their site, I could not get UPS to accept my firearm for shipping to an out of state FFL (or anyone for that matter). This was the actual UPS in Port Allen and not a UPS store.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    Regardless of what UPS says on their site, I could not get UPS to accept my firearm for shipping to an out of state FFL (or anyone for that matter). This was the actual UPS in Port Allen and not a UPS store.

I had wondered about that. Especially these days with some people so anti gun.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've shipped pistols out of state, and overnight shipping plus insurance set me well over 100 bucks. I had to ship it from the HUB since a drop off location/ups store couldn't take it. An ffl can use USPS and it may be cheaper that way.

I've also heard about shipmygun from budsgunshop. I haven't tried it but it's much cheaper than UPS if you are doing it yourself.
    https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Just bring it to a local FFL and let them ship for you. Much cheaper than doing it yourself. My FFL charges me $20 to ship a handgun to an out of state FFL.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    When shipping any firearm back to the manufacturer for warranty work I’ve always gone to the FedEx hub in BR. Shipping to a FFL I’d go through a FFL.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    When shipping any firearm back to the manufacturer for warranty work I’ve always gone to the FedEx hub in BR. Shipping to a FFL I’d go through a FFL.

After warranty work the firearm can legally be shipped directly to you.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

After warranty work the firearm can legally be shipped directly to you.

My experience with Warranty stuff. They’ve shipped me a label. I dropped it at the fedex store they shipped it back. Nothing special on my end.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Be advised that USPS is lagging big time on their delivery times. The last 4 items I had shipped usps took about 2 weeks average. I have a package I'm still waiting on that was shipped July 31, this same order was taking an average of 3 days previously.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    This is why Corporations and Government should stay out of matters related to arms as protected and excluded from regulations by the Second Amendment and backed by Article VI. Every law that exists in the US, and corporate policy to restrict the sale, shipment, and transfer of domestic arms is de facto void via Article VI. States want to interpret the Bill of Rights as discreet from Article VI which is false. States have no more rights to regulate arms than the Fed: they are untouchables. The ruling class have spent generations enacting State and Locale laws that violate Article VI and inalienable rights with the Bill of Rights, to control citizens. This is antithetical. Private entities enacting unconstitutional policies is mere censorship in a different form, far more dangerous and subversive than well intentioned policy enacted by concerned leadership. None of it shall stand.

If your State autocracy permits: you can ship UPS it’s usually around $40+ insurance. Ensure the other State accepts private shipments to the FFL otherwise you have to have them kick in enough to cover the FFL transfer and shipment to their FFL. The USPS ships machine guns and other weapons daily via registered mail, no reason why they should not be able to ship citizens arms. Since they are so heavily tax funded and bound to Article VI like all government in the US, I see no excuses to why they would not ship citizens arms.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    This is why Corporations and Government should stay out of matters related to arms as protected and excluded from regulations by the Second Amendment and backed by Article VI. Every law that exists in the US, and corporate policy to restrict the sale, shipment, and transfer of domestic arms is de facto void via Article VI. States want to interpret the Bill of Rights as discreet from Article VI which is false. States have no more rights to regulate arms than the Fed: they are untouchables. The ruling class have spent generations enacting State and Locale laws that violate Article VI and inalienable rights with the Bill of Rights, to control citizens. This is antithetical. Private entities enacting unconstitutional policies is mere censorship in a different form, far more dangerous and subversive than well intentioned policy enacted by concerned leadership. None of it shall stand.

Well I agree with you as the fed and state relate to the 2A. Those that don’t agree with that don’t understand or chose not to. The problem is precedent has been set and original intent is an almost useless argument. Now private property rights were clearly discussed during the forming of the bill of rights. The second amendment is not intended to be coercion to private individuals or entities but an outline of rights the federal government is required to protect in compulsory engagements. If fedex was the only source for your shipping needs and shipping was protected constitutionally then yes the government could step in and protect the 2A.

This is actually an argument made involving social media platforms. The first is protected up to an entities private property rights, but there are those attempting to say google, Twitter, Facebook, etc. give up those rights by allowing the public to provide content without editorial review or claiming responsibility for said content. The tricky thing is these businesses want it both ways the want to censor certain things but don’t want to accept ownership/responsibility for everything else that is posted. This is typically where they like to use the first amendment for their purposes. They will claim it’s a free service with no editorial overview In order to avoid any liability from what is posted, but then target specific opinions for censorship.

So yes your rights could be enforced on a private property but it would require some sort of private/public mixing.

Last edited:

Cmalit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2020
    Metairie LA
    Used Fed-Ex to mail a gun

Mailed a Glock back to the manufacturer for a recall recently. Was instructed that it needed to be overnighted from the main Fed-Ex or UPS facility. Took it to the Fed-Ex place boxed, taped & ready for the label, told them the contents. Paid for it and that was it. Don't know if this method of mailing is specific to this manufacturer or what, but at least this is one way to get it done. Also expensive, around $70 to GA, and that was cheaper than UPS. Hope that helps.

Hey all!

So hopefully someone can guide me in this. I tried searching but couldn’t find anything.
    I’ll be needing to send a handgun to a guys FFL in Arizona in a few weeks. I’ve been reading different ways but since I’ve never done this I decided to ask.
    What is the best way to send a handgun? FedEx, UPS? I think I read I can’t send via USPS because I’m not an FFL. I’m guessing I would prepackaged it and drop it off... am I required to tell them what’s in the box?
    I’ve also read where it’s sometimes cheaper to have an FFL do it for me. Is that the case? I’m almost to that point anyway.

Thanks! And sorry if this is a goofy question. I just don’t want to screw anything up.
    Keith

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom