How to register a Short Barrel Rifle in Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    question.

if you have someone listed as a trustee, can you just sell an SBR to them when you're done with it, or pass it on to another family member to keep? im not totally sure how this stuff works

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    The trust is kinda the owner of the item. You the person don't actually own the item in the eyes of the ATF. anyone in possession of the SBR must be a part of the trust. The tax stamp is issued to the trust not the people in it. You could be reimbursed for your investment by someone in the trust then they can have it as long as they are part of the trust.

Last edited:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Good answer Dustin. The item must stay at the address of the trust and on the form 4 reguardless of who "owns" it. If it moves permanently to another address the trust must be amended and you must file a form 5320.20 to change the address of the form 4.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    2 questions:
    How much did your trust attorney charge you?
    I have an apartment that is not my permanent/primary residence, can it sleep with me there?

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    There are two attorneys on the board that do trust. Mouthpiece and MorganAllison. PM them for a quote. They should be able to answer your questions you have.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Going through this and found the link on step 5 is dead. Looks like it can be found here: http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf

Also can anyone point me in the right direction of how to do all of this with a trust? Looks like the only thread I can find about it had all the text removed from the original post.

Very easy to do with a trust, All you have to do is first fill out the Louisiana State Registration which can be found here:
    http://www.lsp.org/search.html?cx=017344992912482891441%3Aflho9n5gxim&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=Application+to+register+a+firearm&siteurl=www.lsp.org%252Fapplications.html#935

Once you get that back then you fill out the ATF form 1. You can find a pretty good write up in the class 3 section of ARF on how to do that and where to find it. Then once you get the state registration back you send one copy of it, one copy of your trust, and two front and rear copies of the form 1, and two copies of the form 5330.20, and your 200 dollar check. Of course for both the state and federal paperwork where it ask for your name you put the name the trust. When you sign you will want to add trustee behind it, etc..

If you have any specific questions just ask.

Last edited:

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    Thanks for the info. Will go look for the write up on ARF (i'm guessing ar15.com?) I just posted a thread with a screenshot of the forms and how I was going to fill them out. Could you check them and make sure I am going to put the write things in? It's a little confusing because I'm not sure if I should put the trust info or my info in some places.

Here you go buddy check out the first two links and it will show exactly how to fill out the state paperwork:
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?40386-Spike-s-SBR-timeline...7-27-10&highlight=SBR
    For the form 1 here you go this will tell you exactly what to do there:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/257740_Complete_Guide_of_how_to_complete_a_Form_1.html

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    Here you go buddy check out the first two links and it will show exactly how to fill out the state paperwork:
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?40386-Spike-s-SBR-timeline...7-27-10&highlight=SBR
    For the form 1 here you go this will tell you exactly what to do there:
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_17/257740_Complete_Guide_of_how_to_complete_a_Form_1.html

Just tried to look up the BS links - no good! Any other places to see "examples" of how to fill the LSP form out for a trust?

czar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2007
    S'port, LA.
    From aroundlsu..."G. If enough people are confused about how exactly to fill out any of the forms I'll post sample forms. Once you do it once and figure out what they are asking you'll be able to fill out another one in just a few minutes."

Got a "go-by" for an individual?

Last edited:

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    I just joined this forum to find out this exact info. Everything looks pretty easy except one thing, the sheriff's signature. Why would the sheriff sign for someone he doesnt know to obtain an SBR? How can i approach this? Any ideas?

czar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2007
    S'port, LA.
    I just joined this forum to find out this exact info. Everything looks pretty easy except one thing, the sheriff's signature. Why would the sheriff sign for someone he doesnt know to obtain an SBR? How can i approach this? Any ideas?

Where are you?

sph1480

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Destrehan, La
    I have a trust, what paperwork do I need to fill out for the SBR? I'm kinda confused because of the broken links.

I also went the trust route. You will need all the same paperwork, but do not need photo or prints since you are registering it under the name of the trust. You will need to fill out citizenship form under your own name. You can pm me with any questions and if need be I'll pull out all of my approved paperwork and help you out.

covert1

aka Mule
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    I am going the trust route to build an SBR.
    A local gun dealer is telling me that I have to fill out the state forms and give to him to register with the LSP
    since he has a Class 3 license. I then can register with him. Does this sound correct ? I thought I could just
    fill out the two state forms and submit to the LSP myself.

Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    I think Jeff Wiley and yes I heard he does sign off. Heard this through some of the guys at Herbert's guns.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom