How to register a Short Barrel Rifle in Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Just had to go through this process. I had no clue where to start but got alot of help from mouthpiece. Done in 3 days, nough said!
    You da man mouthpiece!

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I currently have a standard bushmaster AR with 16" barrel upper. I want to get a short barrel upper for this lower. I figure the paperwork is the same but what about the engraving? What exactly has to be engraved?

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I currently have a standard bushmaster AR with 16" barrel upper. I want to get a short barrel upper for this lower. I figure the paperwork is the same but what about the engraving? What exactly has to be engraved?

You would have to engrave the name on the form 1 and the city state you or the entity is located. So if you used a trust in Lafayette LA and it was ABC trust you would have to engrave

ABC Trust
    Lafayette, LA

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    You would have to engrave the name on the form 1 and the city state you or the entity is located. So if you used a trust in Lafayette LA and it was ABC trust you would have to engrave

ABC Trust
    Lafayette, LA

If you move do have to cross out the old city/state and put the new one or does it just go by when it was created?

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    No it stays the same. Think of it as the manufacturers engraving on a rifle. Just because a S&W plant moves they don't have to change the engraving for rifles they made there. Same thing applies here. Basically you are the manufacturer of a NFA weapon and have to put your information on it just like any other manufacturer.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    The links referred to on page 2 are dead. I am confused. Why am I registering as a firearms manufacturer? Do I put my name or the trust name in the Name of Owner line? What about the trade or business name? Do I have to list all of the trustees in the middle section?

Thanks

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't have to fill out state paperwork anymore. If you have a trust, LLC or Corp go here

https://www.atfonline.gov/EForms

register with them and fill out the form 1 with your trust,LLC or Corp info.

If your applying as an individual you will need to print out 2 copies of the form 1 front and back on the same sheet of paper. Fill out with your information attach photographs get CLEO signature get two fingerprint cards and send that all in with a 200 check and an ATF form 5330-20 to the ATF and then wait. If you have some questions give me a call I can help walk you through the process.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    If you need a trust contact Mouthpiece on here. I think JC Cypress might also do trusts. Search the forum and you can find the right people. Lafsnguy is also a good source for silencers. Both guys were great to work with.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Two more questions:

When I file my Form 1 do I need to include the entire 19 pages of the trust, including the notarized signatures of all of the trustees, or just the 4 pages making up the Certification of Trust/Declaration of Trust?

On my assignment page, do I just put the S/N of the lower, or will ATF assign me a new number for the SBR?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I attached my entire trust, granted it was only 7 or 8 pages. On attachment page I listed make, model, serial, and date off addition of the lower to the trust. The e-file picture step by step instructions shown on ar15.com are very helpful. My first was approved with no errors using that guide.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Sorry to be a PITA, but I have another question. I currently have my 10.5" upper on a pistol lower. For the SBR, I will use a rifle lower so I can just switch the upper to whichever lower I choose at will. I know that you cannot have a VFG on a pistol (AFG is OK) without making it an AOW. When I have the upper on the SBR lower, can I add a VFG?

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Sorry to be a PITA, but I have another question. I currently have my 10.5" upper on a pistol lower. For the SBR, I will use a rifle lower so I can just switch the upper to whichever lower I choose at will. I know that you cannot have a VFG on a pistol (AFG is OK) without making it an AOW. When I have the upper on the SBR lower, can I add a VFG?

Once the tax stamp is approved for sbr you will be able to add your vertical foregrip. Also, don't forget about having your lower receiver engraved.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom