How To Shoot More Effectively In CQB + A New CQB Study

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

5shot

Below are links to a new article. I would post it here, but it is 2 big.

http://www.pointshooting.com/iwin.htm

http://www.pointshooting.com/iwin.pdf

+ + + + +

Force Science News: Transmission # 134 published Part 1 of a 2-part series dealing with a major new study dealing with close quarters armed encounters.

A key finding is that "those who win lethal assualts do so, in part, because they achieve target acquisition with their firearm in a way that is directly opposite of how most officers are trained."

The info goes on to explain that basically officers are trained to use their sights in the process of acquiring the target and shooting, while experienced police operators basically use Point Shooting which allows them to shoot more quickly and more accurately.

Below is a link to a digest that I made of Part 1 of the series. The full information will be added to the Force Science Research web site in the future.

You can request to be included in the e-mailings of the newsletter at http://www.forcescience.org

Here's the link to the digest
    http://www.pointshooting.com/fsstudy.htm

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Ahh the Point Shooting...I wondered when this was gonna begin...Police Officers Point Shoot because by and large they are undertrained and inexpirenced and they default to it. Any success they have is largely a result of Mother Luck shining on them and that fact that they have a slight edge in that they have been at least shown fundamentals once where as the folks they shoot it out with typically have not. Point Shooting is a Parlor Trick taught by guys like Paul Castle who haven't been in gunfights. Aimed Fire is a skill taught by guys like Kyle Lamb, Scott Reitz and Jerry Barnhart, guys who excel in both surviving and winning shootouts and dominate competitions. Tough call.

WTAprill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Uhhh...hmmm....

The authors very clearly note that the scenario "winners" (veteran ERT operators) focus on threat while bringing the gun to the eyeline, confirm muzzle alignment with the sights, and get good hits.

This seems like a rather peculiar finding to quote in support of point-shooting.
    :confused:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Is 5shot given credence by anyone these days?

Do you mean, "Is this the guy who goes from board to board, staying until he has worn out any semblance of a welcome by posting self-serving point-shooting drivel ?

Where's Brownie when you need a real point-shooting pimp ?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Im just to simple minded to have one way to shoot in close and one way to shoot out far. To compensate I train to use my sights fast all the time.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I should mention. (I thought it was implied.) That I'm not not going to switch my trigger finger, just point the whole weapon. The thing about shooting with the middle finger to "point" better is just asinine. But you can learn to shoot fast and accurately at things less than 15 feet away without using the sights. I guarantee just like Applegate says that's you're instinctively going to do anyway once fine motor control leaves you in a gunfight.

Dave

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I guarantee just like Applegate says that's you're instinctively going to do anyway once fine motor control leaves you in a gunfight.

Dave

I think this has alot more to do with Visual and Auditory Stimulus Exclusion caused by Stress Hormones flooding the frontal lobe. I.E. people use their sights they just don't remember doing so. I have actually seen a troop mumble "frontsight frontsight frontsight" to himself, just like he had been trained to do, while squeezing of 4 aimed shots that all struck the offending Jihadi in the Sternum. The young Troop in question was in a shooting program at the time that emphasised rapid, aimed fire. He had fired 2-3K rounds of pistol ammo in the 9 months he had worked for me and nearly everyone of them had someone telling him to get on his frontsight. I said all that to say this; its how you train, if you train to stay on that frontsight, press the trigger straight to the rear, and follow through then thats what you will do when it comes time for you to go loud and kill somebody If you train to Point Shoot then that is what you will do, and sure maybe you'll be fine out to 15 yards but guess what killing someone at 20 yards is just as stressful! When you need a fast, accurate No Reflex Zone Shot you don't want to have to have to remind yourself that you need to use those tricky sights. I have always found Point Shooting to be a way for people that don't train enough to feel better about themselves, and cover for their lack of range time. Not a single one of the Worlds Premier Gunfighters advocates Point Shooting over Aimed Fire. Say what you want about Aimed Fire being for Gamers but guess who the guys at the FBI's HRT, CAG, and DEVGRU hire to come to their Uber nice ranges? Guys like Ernie Langdon, Jerry Barnhart, and Frank Garcia. All Competition guys who preach aimed fire. Forget about the cheap thrill that is Point Shooting, learn to do it the right way, train yourself to do it the right way and you'll never need to look back.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    WTF! I make an argument against Point Shooting without using the words gay or stupid and the Trooper gets the literary award!?! Thats gay and stupid.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom