How to target Gar using Rod & Reel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I can't seem to find a real good internet article on this but I too see if you guys know how to setup a rig and target garfish exclusively?

I've heard of rigs that were like a noose with a hook hanging in the middle and would tighten over the mouth when it takes the bait. I've heard of taking a nylon rop and fraying it so it get tangled in the teeth.

I wanted to go back out to Alabama Bayou and target them exclusively since there doesn't seem to be a shortage of them rolling the top of the water.

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Gar methods

I just came from a trip to Cameron LA where there were huge gar in every roadside canal from lake charles to the gulf. I observed some young guys wearing only cut-off blue jean shorts sprinting through the marsh grass, knee-deep in mud, tackling gar that they had hooked by rod and reel, but were too large to drag on the bank.
    The guys were using off-shore style fishing rigs (extra heavy poles, strung with what looked like a thin rope) and were casting 10-inch mullet into the roadside canals and allowing them to sink to the bottom near the opposite bank. The mullet were each threaded onto a single hook that was about 6-inches long.
    I watched for about an hour as they pulled in several gar that were the length of their truck bed. This is the only method i've ever seen that consistently worked for gar. I always thought a small hook would be best for their thin, boney mouths, but I was obviously wrong. I hope this helps, and if anyone is interested, i'd be happy to post coordinates to the area where they were.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I just came from a trip to Cameron LA where there were huge gar in every roadside canal from lake charles to the gulf. I observed some young guys wearing only cut-off blue jean shorts sprinting through the marsh grass, knee-deep in mud, tackling gar that they had hooked by rod and reel, but were too large to drag on the bank.
    The guys were using off-shore style fishing rigs (extra heavy poles, strung with what looked like a thin rope) and were casting 10-inch mullet into the roadside canals and allowing them to sink to the bottom near the opposite bank. The mullet were each threaded onto a single hook that was about 6-inches long.
    I watched for about an hour as they pulled in several gar that were the length of their truck bed. This is the only method i've ever seen that consistently worked for gar. I always thought a small hook would be best for their thin, boney mouths, but I was obviously wrong. I hope this helps, and if anyone is interested, i'd be happy to post coordinates to the area where they were.

Thanks for the info. I'm mostly interested in needle nose gar and the kind that I can put in an ice chest. :p lol. So far for needle nose the consensus is to use what's called a rope lure. I'm still researching it.

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    bow and arrow:D

I always catch them on small jigs under a cork. Just keep it moving.

Are you fishing from the bank?

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana

We do have a great sense of style down here. I'm glad you noticed :D

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

You pretty much described my childhood from age 8 to 13 or so!!!! We used steel leaders, tied to at least a 17lbs mono filament and whatever fishing reel we could get. Shred up a 3-4" bluegill and hook it through the back so that the tip was inside the fish. We got good at casting 2-3' in front of the alligator gars that would surface and just let them do the rest. Feed out line for 30 seconds or so, enough to let them swallow everything, and then get ready for a nice long fight!!

I grew up on the banks of the St. Louis Canal and Lake Houmas.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    bow and arrow:D

I always catch them on small jigs under a cork. Just keep it moving.

Are you fishing from the bank?

Yeah i'm going to go back out to Alligator Bayou. Most likely I will fish for gar from the bank just in case I were to catch a large one that would pull me out of the pirogue. :eek3:

I may go back and run some trot lines. Dunno just yet.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    CrkdLtr, we use standard rod and reel. Tie on a steel leader, no weight with a smaller size hook, a treble is prefered. Use a cast net or a dip net and catch live shad or shiners. You can buy them if you have to, but cheaper to catch them. Hook them through the back just under the spine. Watch for where the gar are rolling and basically sight cast to where you see them, but keep your spool free so they can take line. Once they take the bait they will swim for a bit then stop. Once they stop wait a second or two then set the hook. They're sort of like dogs, they'll grab their food then take it somewhere else to eat it. This is what we do and we always catch. Have fun!

Top Bottom