hurray they saved it

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    They figure the amount of taxes they will make if they don't keep it tax free. People won't spend the same amount of money if they have to pay taxes, so their estimates will be low. I bought a side by side a couple of years ago. If it would not have been tax free, I might have looked for a used one.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I can tell you for certain that I will not buy ANYTHING on that weekend if they take the holiday away.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    It figures. I have been saving and was planning to spend about $5,000 this September during the tax free weekend. Guess I'll have to spend it online instead of local to save on taxes.

LSUSMC

Segreant
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Prairieville
    Without the tax free weekend it will just be another three days in early September. Hopefully stores have 10% off sales or something during the usual tax free days...

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    It figures. I have been saving and was planning to spend about $5,000 this September during the tax free weekend. Guess I'll have to spend it online instead of local to save on taxes.

Yeah F'em. I've been buying everything online anyway it's the only way to find the best price they don't care about small businesses anymore why should I?

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Yeah F'em. I've been buying everything online anyway it's the only way to find the best price they don't care about small businesses anymore why should I?

I try and buy what I can locally. It's a little hard with firearms. I've had three items shipped to my local gun store and purposely bought some ammo from them each time. Even bought a couple of mags last time. Sure I could have gotten everything online and saved a couple of bucks but I figured I would give the local guys a little ore than just a transfer fee. But if I'm buying bulk ammo, I usually order online.

dad-e-o

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Ponchatoula
    It is probably a good source of income to balance the budget and I would be for it -EXCEPT -

this is the same bunch of jokers who have been letting our esteemed governor run the state

all willy nilly and get us in this predicament. So they do not have my support, not that they asked,

nor will they get my vote.

Dad

velociraptor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Greater New Orleans Area
    Tax holiday retained for guns

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/louisiana_sales_tax_holiday_re.html#incart_2box_

A Louisiana Senate Committee spared a sales tax holiday for guns and hunting equipment -- including off-road vehicles -- while supporting the elimination of similar exemptions for hurricane equipment and school supplies next year.

The Louisiana Senate Committee on Revenue and Fiscal Affairs voted 7-2* to reinstate what's known as the Second Amendment sales tax holiday during the first weekend in September. The benefit eliminates the sales tax on all hunting equipment -- including firearms, ammunition, clothing, knives, ATVs and tree stands -- during a three-day period.

At the same time, the committee signed off on doing away with similar sales tax holidays aimed at back-to-school purchases in early August and hurricane preparedness supplies in late May next year.

"It very hard for me to justify that we provide an exemption for guns, but not for hurricane equipment," said state Sen. J.P. Morrell, D-New Orleans, a committee member who voted against the change.

Getting rid of the sales tax breaks was floated as a cost-saving measure to help close Louisiana's $1.6 billion budget shortfall. Elimination of the all three tax holidays -- including the one that applies to guns and hunting equipment -- was expected to save the state $4.3 million in the next budget cycle.

State Sen. Neil Riser, R-Columbia, said hunting shops had already purchased inventory in anticipation of moving lots of items during the September sales tax holiday weekend. Eliminating the tax holiday would have hurt these businesses.

"Sales are so large on that particular day," said Riser, who supported reinstating the hunting sales tax holiday as the Senate committee's chairman, "There are a lot of worthy exemptions out there."

Morrell also said committee members received a letter from U.S. Sen. David Vitter, urging legislators to vote against the hunting sales tax holiday repeal. A gubernatorial candidate this year, Vitter indicated he was ok with the temporary elimination of sales tax holidays on the back-to-school supplies and hurricane preparedness, according to Morrell.

Still, it's unlikely the hurricane preparedness and school supplies sales tax holidays will be scrapped as long as the hunting tax break remains in place. The sponsor of of the sales tax holiday repeals, state Rep. Jack Montoucet, said he intends to pull his proposal (HCR 15) altogether now because of the Senate committee's changes.

"I don't think that's fair," said Montoucet, of sparing the hunting sales tax holiday.

Montoucet's original resolution -- in which all three sales tax holidays were scrapped -- passed the Louisiana House easily on a 82-8 vote last week. It only suspended the sales tax holidays for one year -- bringing them back in future budget cycles when the state finances had presumably improved.

Here's how the Senate Committee on Revenue and Fiscal Affairs voted:

In favor of keeping the hunting tax holiday, while eliminating others:

Dale Erdey, R-Livingston

Neil Riser, R-Columbia

Yvonne Dorsey-Colomb, D-Baton Rouge

David Heitmeier, D-New Orleans

Bob Kostelka, R-Monroe

Gary Smith, D-Norco

John Smith, R-Leesville

Not in favor of keeping the hunting tax holiday, while eliminating others:

Rick Gallot, D-Ruston

JP Morrell, D-New Orleans

Absent:

Sharon Weston Broome, D-Baton Rouge

* Sen. Robert Adley, R-Benton, was initially recorded as a "yes" vote for preserving back the hunting sales tax holiday, but he says he intended to be a "no" vote.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    They can keep kicking the can by trying to patch the budget by eliminating more and more tax breaks..... But it's not fixing anything.
    Eventually they will have to actually bite the bullet and truly fix the budget.
    People bitch about Edwin Edwards and praise bobby Jindal..... Yet I think Jindal has been the biggest failure in my lifetime.

Talk about a failure of leadership in taking care of Louisiana's priorities such as the budget, that is Jindal IMO.
    HE HAS RAIDED every fund in the state.... And still we are facing a crisis.
    FWIW..... Eddy saw a problem.... And got the legislature to sit down to a rewrite the constitution with a state constitutional congress.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Edwin Edwards set this state behind by decades by keeping us cemented in cronyism and corruption which should have died decades before him.

Suggesting that Edwin Edwards was in any way better than Bobby Jindal is at best naive and at worst evidence of underlying psychoses.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Past few years I've only purchased guns, suppressors, etc. locally on the tax holiday. Tax savings on a rifle can be a couple hundred bucks easily.

Only problem is finding what you want for a decent price during that weekend. Most stores don't really discount, and the ones that do sell out quick.

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    They are trying to pinch pennies here and save an astounding $4.3mil in hopes of solving a $1.6bil deficit. My math says that only helping by chipping away 3/10's of a point on the deficit. Way to go guys!

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Past few years I've only purchased guns, suppressors, etc. locally on the tax holiday. Tax savings on a rifle can be a couple hundred bucks easily.

Only problem is finding what you want for a decent price during that weekend. Most stores don't really discount, and the ones that do sell out quick.

Just going from memory, but I'm pretty sure the tax free is on bought, ordered, picked up, put on or taken off layaway.
    If they are sold out, just have them order one. Or put it on layaway before the date.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom