Hurricane Binder for work

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    Figured I'd ask it here. My work used to have a hurricane response binder that detailed out moving people around, technician coordination ect. That has been lost to time. We got our butts kicked in IDA and I was tasked to come up with our new Hurricane binder. We are a service company that services the plants. Does anyone have one that they could share that isn't confidential? Or has anyone built one for their company? I'd be interested in hearing about your development process and thought process on how you put it together and then looking back would you change anything? Thanks

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm retired now, don't have access to ours any more, and was in a different industry anyway so not sure this is worth much. Basically, we sat down and listed all the services/missions we were responsible for as a unit and who was critical to them. We identified whether they needed to happen or not in an emergency, and if not, how long we could ignore/defer them. Next, we identified the most likely types of events that could interrupt them. For each service that needed to happen, we wrote out how they could be accomplished in those events including getting materials/fuel, alternatives to normal procedures, and procedures to protect the infrastructure in advance of the event if we had forewarning. Having forewarning or not having advance knowledge of an event are two or more different plans for each service/mission.

The other (bigger) half to it was people. How can they accomplish the service without undue risk to themselves? If we bring them onsite during an event, how do we take care of, feed, and house them in crisis conditions? How do we compensate them for the risks? Do they really need to be onsite during an event? Can the individuals we identify as critical actually be onsite in an emergency and will they actually come in? (individual and group conversations needed)

Ultimately, we evolved to where the criticality of a given position in an emergency was communicated early in the hiring process. Too late to ask once they're onboard. Oh, by the way you have to be on premise for the duration of said hurricane, and you will, or will not get paid extra. The pay thing is a really big deal as you might expect. It gets ugly really fast right in the middle of the event and the fallout from a crisis pay misstep can go on for months after if we're talking about skilled craftsman or technicians.

An eye opener after Katrina was when another "company" showed up at our place in the first days after the storm and started trying to rally their employees. Two thirds had left the state, were not coming back, and already had new jobs. I saw different disasters like that happen several times to other organizations. Luckily, the only organizational failure/disaster we had similar to something like that was recoverable within a day.

Not saying the above approach (10,000 foot level) was all conclusive or encompassing. It's just what we did. I didn't even touch on the loss of facilities and equipment. It's a similar exercise except it involves more upfront costs and pre-negotiated contracts (what will you do if one of your crisis vendors says they can't fulfill the contract in the middle of an event?, Force Majeure is not supposed to be in that kind of contract but they may still say they can't deliver, lol).

I'm sure there are folks here that have more experience and training with this type of planning. Just my 10 cents. :-)

Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    John and Cheesy, great responses. Thanks John specifically, that is a great layout espcially for me in starting up this team. Cheesy, I will thanks!!

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    I would also include what happens if another Service Company fails to perform work critical to you being able to execute your work. Kinda like “Business Interruption Insurance”, when you are unable to generate revenue due to an unforeseen or uncontrollable situation by others. NO Computer Chips, NO Trucks to sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lej1608
    Top Bottom