hypothetical situation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    You are driving home and see a woman being physically abused. Can you stop to offer a hand and draw on the attacker?

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    You can draw. LA R.S. 14:22.

It is justifiable to use force or violence or to kill in the defense of another person when it is reasonably apparent that the person attacked could have justifiably used such means himself, and when it is reasonably believed that such intervention is necessary to protect the other person.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I've discussed this with my dad over dinner a few times. A few conclusions we've come to...

Being a third party, you REALLY don't know what's happening. If she's being repeatedly punched in the face then OK, but if she's just struggling with some guys there could be something else going on that you don't realize. Perhaps she's drunk and was trying to drive home and her friends are trying to take her keys from her. Or any number of other hypothetical situations.

Immediately drawing on the guys could get you charged with aggravated assault (a felony) or worse (shot dead) if things aren't really as they appear. We're not cops and it's highly risky to intervene in domestic situations.

Louis Awerbuck related a similar story. When he was working as a motorcycle cop in South Africa he came upon a man beating on a woman in the street. He stopped, tackled the man and began to fight him. Suddenly he felt a sharp blow on the back of the head. It was the woman, who was being attacked just seconds earlier, beating Louis with her boot and yelling for him to get off her man. He complied, got back on his bike, and left the scene.

Moral of the story, mind your own business.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Dawg told us a story at CCW class about a man who was wrestling with a woman in the parking lot while she was screaming "RAPE!" Turns out she was a drug dealer who was being apprehended by an undercover cop in a sting operation. If I recall correctly someone tried to step in thinking they were doing the right thing but other officers stopped them from intervening.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Personally? I wouldn't get invovled. Maybe that makes me a dick but that has aggravated assault/brandishing a weapon/civil suit, written all over it.

I'd hate to barge into some undercover police business or something....

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Don't know. Depends on the situation. Seen COPS too many times to know that getting involved in some numbnutts domestic dispute is going to cause you more problems than to them cause it looks like a majority of the time they get back together within a couple of days, rinse, and repeat.

Top Bottom