I got a fever... and the only prescription is more firearms.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Ok, so I recently got back into the gun game (only 25 so my hiatus wasn't really that long). I've got a Marlin lever action 30-30, S&W 442, and Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II. The 30-30 was a gift from my dad so it has enormous sentimental value, but I don't really enjoy shooting it. I really want a decent bolt action. Money is a little tight as I'm working, going to school full time, and have a wife and two kids so I'm thinking in the 300-500 dollar range. I believe this excludes rifles with any glass on them, but I'm a fair shot with iron sights to 100+ yards anyways (product of not being rich enough to afford a scope growing up, I guess).

What do you guys recommend for a good hunting rifle in that range. What caliber? Game would probably be wild pig/boar and deer. Thanks for the advice!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well, you could always buy one of the "package" rifles (basic model bolt-action rifle with an economy-grade scope attached) offered by Savage, Remington, etc.- they're usually offered in that price range, or very close to it.....The better "glass" could always come down the road when the funding permits. I can speak for the Savage 110- I got one a couple of years back because they offer a lefty model that's easy to find- and wouldn't trade it. Very good, accurate rifle.
    Just one idea, anywho...:)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Well, you could always buy one of the "package" rifles (basic model bolt-action rifle with an economy-grade scope attached) offered by Savage, Remington, etc.- they're usually offered in that price range, or very close to it.....The better "glass" could always come down the road when the funding permits. I can speak for the Savage 110- I got one a couple of years back because they offer a lefty model that's easy to find- and wouldn't trade it. Very good, accurate rifle.
    Just one idea, anywho...:)

What he said, I would go for a package deal the ONLY hog that I killed with a rifle was killed with a $299 Mossberg/Optic deal. Granted it will not win matches BUT for the weekend game its more than fine, the guy I sold it to has killed at least 6 deers with it and is super happy with it

Academy used to sell that deal not sure if they still do, just dont buy the Remington 770 series those suck

I want to say it was a Mossberg ATR (maybe)

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Yeah. I agree on the gun now, glass later policy. I'd rather have more gun than less gun and less-than-quality scope options.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Savage 110/111 or mossy axis. Both are within your price range and both are great guns. I prefer the savage personally.
    As far as caliber it depends on what you are hunting. The 30-06 is the most commit round chambered in them and is pretty inexpensive to shoot. The .270 is good too and a bit flatter shooting.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Savage 110/111 or mossy axis. Both are within your price range and both are great guns. I prefer the savage personally.
    As far as caliber it depends on what you are hunting. The 30-06 is the most commit round chambered in them and is pretty inexpensive to shoot. The .270 is good too and a bit flatter shooting.

Between 30-06 and .270, both calibers are good up to elk, correct? I'm hearing a lot of good things about Savage in that price range. The removal mag on the 111 appeals to me just for the sake of not having to cycle all the rounds to eject them all. I'll have to check out my LGS and gunbroker.com. Checked some of the classifieds here but didn't see anything. :S

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    It's a marlin 30-30 lever action carbine... I don't like the fact that I have to completely get off target to reload. That and I've just always liked the bolt action rifles.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    You have to shoot them standing. They ain't no bench gun. Lol

Wheels has an ad in the firearms classifieds for an older scoped savage 110/111 in .270 for $250. That's a helluva deal.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    You have to shoot them standing. They ain't no bench gun

+1...Lever guns are field guns.

I'd look for a used gun to stretch your dollar the furthest but for new guns take a look at a Marlin XS7 or a Stevens 200 and top it with a Bushnell 3200 3x9. In 308 you could a lot of cheap accurate shooting and last year that scope was on sale for the longest time at Academy for $129.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    OP, what are you hunting and what caliber are you looking for? Something could be said about a good-condition Mosin Nagant as a hunting gun. It and the ammo are CHEAP and it shoots well enough. Or maybe a Savage.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Yeah. Pretty much the recurring theme here is Savage. I haven't been hunting in years, but it was always deer we were going for. I posted on the classified about Wheels' savage. Leaning that way at the moment as the wife won't get too mad about a purchase like that. Especially when I just spent $1200 on a Kimber 1911.

I'm a huge proponent of buying used everything. I've never bought a "brand new" car and the first rifle and pistol I ever bought were used also. More bang for the buck and if you're buying from someone who took care of their stuff you're getting almost new condition anyways.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    There's something either to buying new or used. Savage makes the Axis in .30-06 and .270 for an MRSP of $363, and they have markedly improved their product and game in the last few years. Impact Guns has them for $322.99.

Have you tried your local pawn stores? They may have some good deals if you look.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    There's something either to buying new or used. Savage makes the Axis in .30-06 and .270 for an MRSP of $363, and they have markedly improved their product and game in the last few years. Impact Guns has them for $322.99.

Have you tried your local pawn stores? They may have some good deals if you look.

I haven't. I'll take my son out this weekend and make the rounds. Thanks.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Just make sure to really look over the gun if you can, what with it being used and at a pawn store- not all are honest, not all are savvy.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom