I want to start skeet shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ???

Never have seen doubles thrown at Station 8 in a real round of skeet (Except when we play around).

His troubles with the pump will be at stations 1,2,6 and 7.

Its been like 10 years since I've shot skeet. I just remember those birds coming right at me and me having very little time to hit them!
    That was a fun class! Watching some of the beginners shoot was even more fun. We had to take a week off after someone blasted the house. Coach was teaching a newbie rather large woman that was very nervous about guns. First she tried to mount the gun in the center of her chest. Then he let her follow a few birds with an empty gun and dry fire at them. She did well. Pull.. follow... click... over and over. Finally he loaded the gun... Pull... BOOM... follow... yank on trigger... there goes half a case of skeet and pellets bouncing everywhere... Half the class is on the ground, hands over their heads... the other half is just staring in disbelief... Coach has tears in his eyes and is muttering about retiring and about how he should have let her shoot with the gun mounted center chest...

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Its been like 10 years since I've shot skeet. I just remember those birds coming right at me and me having very little time to hit them!
    That was a fun class! Watching some of the beginners shoot was even more fun. We had to take a week off after someone blasted the house. Coach was teaching a newbie rather large woman that was very nervous about guns. First she tried to mount the gun in the center of her chest. Then he let her follow a few birds with an empty gun and dry fire at them. She did well. Pull.. follow... click... over and over. Finally he loaded the gun... Pull... BOOM... follow... yank on trigger... there goes half a case of skeet and pellets bouncing everywhere... Half the class is on the ground, hands over their heads... the other half is just staring in disbelief... Coach has tears in his eyes and is muttering about retiring and about how he should have let her shoot with the gun mounted center chest...

Poor planning. If you'd had a video camera, you'd be a hollywood tycoon.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Don't believe it, Joel.

He regularly beats Paul and I at sporting clays and skeet; and he neglected to mention that his 391 is a 20 gauge.

Of course, a case could be made that Paul and I shoot even more poorly... but I don't think so.;)

And, he refuses my repeated invitations to go a round of trap... mumbling something about not being able to find a "trap choke".

Personally, I think he's just skeered...:mamoru:

So thats why he advocates #8 and #9 shot. Gotta cram more BB's into a smaller space :mamoru: I've been wanting to get in skeet, trap, sporting clays or what have you, seeing as how i'm hopelessly addicted to blasting poor defenseless birds and making them into gumbo. :D

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like I need to do alot of research before I buy something. I think right now I'm leaning towards the 1100 but I might see what my wife's boss uses and try his shotgun first. I don't need anything too expensive right now.

Thanks guys for pointing out the shotguns local in LA but I'm in TX now and will try to find something local around here

Last edited:

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Its strange that these skeet threads started showing up. I too have been seriously considering getting back into dove hunting and skeet shooting. Dawg, is your gun the Beretta Extrema 2?

Last edited:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    its strange that these skeet threads started showing up. I too have been seriously considering getting back into dove hunting and skeet shooting. Dawg, is your gun the Beretta Extrema 2?

Scott:

Mine is a Teknys. It's an upgrade of the Urika 2 .......and not, in my opinion, worth the extra bucks.

I think the Xtrema is more of a hunting gun........extra corrosion protection and synthetic stocks. It's perfect for doves or ducks, and is perfectly adequate for clays.

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    LACamper- the South Louisiana Gun Club, located on Bridge City ave, across from Avondale shipyard, accomodates skeet and trap shooters. They are open Wed., Thurs, Sat, and Sun. from 1:p til 6:p. # 8 or 9 shot is required for skeet/ 7.5, 8, or 9 for trap. Cost is $4.00/round. Ph. 436-9901. One of my favorite places to hangout on the weekend.

Top Bottom